Status: In Progress

A World Alone

Chapter Nine: Telling Theo

Lionel rolled his eyes annoyed as he waited for the interview to finish. The interviewer was droning on and on about the World Cup and all her questions were directed to the Spanish players. Lionel toyed with a pen he found on the table and began twisting the pen around between his fingers. He absentmindedly played with the blue pen, not listening to the interviewer who was finally directing her questions to the Argentine. "Señor Messi?" the interviewer mumbled. Lionel quickly looked up, dropping the pen from between his fingers. He quickly sat upright and looked at his teammates who were looking at him weirdly.

"Lo siento," Lionel apologised, "What was that?" he asked. The interviewer cleared her throat before repeating her question, "Argentina's one of the fan favourites this year. Do you think you'll win the World Cup this year?" she asked. Lionel looked at Javier Mascherano who was an Argentine as well and one of the vital points of the Argentina NT. "Um, sí. The national team's been working very hard this year and we'll make sure to get a spot in the finals." he answered.

The players were just finishing up from training when Gerardo Martino told them that they had a brief press conference. He said it's just be twenty minutes or so. It ended up taking an hour. Lionel was tired and all he wanted to do was go home and call Thalia.

After a while, the press left and the players were dismissed altogether. Lionel hurried to get to his car in the parking lot and quickly drove home, eager to start his Skype session with Thalia.

-

"Hey," Thalia smiled as Lionel's face popped up on screen. She beamed at the sight of seeing her boyfriend again. It felt like so long since they've seen each other face-to-face but it's only been a week. In a few months, the World Cup would be starting and Lionel would be too busy with training to have time for Thalia.

"Hola," Lionel grinned back. The two missed each other more than ever and they both wished they could drop their responsibilities and go on vacation together or something. "How was your day?" he added. Thalia sighed and leaned back, tying her light brown hair into a ponytail. "It was tiring. I had a stack of topics I needed to cover and I'm barely done with three."

Lionel frowned, "I didn't have the best day either." Lionel grumbled as he thought about all the drills Tata made the team go through and the horrendous press conference he went through. The two exchanged details about their day and laughed at the antics of one another that Thalia didn't even realise the door was opened and Theo was staring at his sister with his mouth wide open.

"Thals…" Theo gasped, pointing at the screen of her laptop. Thalia turned to look at Theo and quickly shoved her laptop under her blanket. "Theo! Hey, what's up?" she grinned, trying to hide her nervousness. Theo pointed at the laptop, "Y-you were Skyping with Lionel Messi!" Theo yelped, pointing at the laptop again. Thalia held the laptop to her chest defensively. "What? I wasn't!" Thalia murmured, her voice breaking in between her words.

Theo raised his eyebrow before crossing his arms over his chest. "Thalia, no secrets. Were you or were you not Skyping with Lionel Messi?" he asked. Thalia sighed and brushed her hair back. "I was." she said honestly. "That's amazing! Is he doing some sort of fan calling thing? Show me!" Theo squealed like a schoolgirl.

Thalia bit her lip and opened her laptop again before calling Lionel again. Lionel quickly picked up, his face popping up on the screen. "Nena? What happened?" he asked. Theo sucked in a deep breath, "NENA?" he finally yelled. "ARE YOU DATING HIM?" Theo shrieked.

Lionel jumped in shock, "Who was that?" he asked. Thalia face palmed herself and told Theo to calm down, "Leo, that's my brother…Theo." Thalia murmured nervously, hoping Lionel wouldn't freak out and break the relationship off. "Oh, hey Theo. It's nice to meet you." Lionel smiled. Theo laughed awkwardly, "H-Hola, Señor Messi. I'm Theo Morales. I'm your number one fan." Theo blurted out.

Thalia rolled her eyes at her little brother, "Theo…you can't tell anyone about this. Okay? I know you'd want to tell your friends, but it's really important not to tell anyone." Thalia said slowly, making sure that she got her point across. Theo nodded, "Don't worry, Thalia and Señor Messi. I'll keep it a secret."

Leo laughed from the other side of the screen, "You don't have to call me Señor Messi. Just call me Leo. It's all good, Theo." Lionel smiled. Theo grinned widely, "Yay! Thanks a lot Leo!" Theo smiled, prancing out of Thalia's room chanting Leo's name at the top of his lungs.

"I don't have a good feeling about this…" Thalia sighed, rubbing her eyes tiredly.
♠ ♠ ♠
x