Life of Luxury

Chapter One

“Oh! Dude, dude, dude, turn around, it’s right behind you!” I yelled into the headset and started moving my fingers like crazy on the controller to try and save my teammate, but he died and I sighed, “Gimme a sec, I’ll save you!”

“Hales, turn around! Move, I can still shoot!”

I moved my player around and saw the zombies that I was supposed to be killing and started to blindly fire away, “Say hello to my little friend, suckers!” the round was over and I quickly healed my teammate before he died for good, “Try not to die, D-man.”

“Like I did it on purpose,” he said and I giggled, “You’re pretty good at this, for a girl.”

“Damn right,” I said and took a sip of my Mountain Dew before the round started, “Go to the house and then the barn, try to lour them to one spot and then throw grenades.”

“That you system?” he chuckled and I watched his player start shooting the zombies that were coming out from every direction.

“How do you think I made it this far in the game?” I smirked and started to move my character to the house.

At that moment, I jumped when I heard my front door burst open and turned my head to see my friend, Brittany walk into my house and look at me. She huffed and threw her hands on her hips, “Haley! Are you fuckin’ serious?! You’re still playing that stupid game?”

“Britt, I’m so close to breaking my record, gimme a second?” I told her, quickly moving my hands back to the TV.

“Who’s there?” Drake, my teammate and friend asked me over the headset.

“Britt’s over,” I answered, “Dude! Look out! Are you kiddin’ you fuckin’ died!”

“Sorry,” he said and I sighed and saw all the zombies, “Keep going, you can’t get to me.”

“Who are you talking to, Hales?” Brittany asked and I gave her a quick look to see her sipping on her Starbucks ice coffee.

“Drake.”

“What?”

“Nothing, Britt asked who I was talking to,” I answered, moving my character into the barn and started to kill zombies.

“Ok, Hales, when was the last time you left this couch?” Brittany asked and I ignored her, “Because I was here less than twenty four hours ago and you were sitting here, wearing those same clothes.”

“I was not,” I said and she scoffed.

“Really?” she asked and I shook my head, “You’re addicted.”

“Not my fault this game is good,” I said and heard Drake laughing, “Shut up!”

“Sorry,” he said and I rolled my eyes, “Tell Britt I said hi.”

“Drake says hi, by the way,” I told Brittany without looking at her.

“Hi!” she yelled and I smirked.

“Fuck, fuck, fuck- Dammit, I died,” I sighed and threw my controller down, “We made it to level twenty!”

“You did most of the work, I died- A lot,” I giggle, “Well, good game, I’m gunna sign off, I’m beat.”

“Yeah, I probably should too, Britt’s giving me the evil eye and I’m sure she’s gunna kill me if I start another game.”

“You’re damn right she will!” Brittany yelled and I smirked.

I signed off my game and shut down my Xbox. I walked over towards the system, put my Call of Duty: Black Ops II in its case and cleaned up my area, “What can I do for you, Britt?”

“Are you aware that you have a new neighbor?” Brittany said and I looked at her confused, “And he’s pretty fuckin’ hot too.”

“Who is he?” I asked and she shrugged his shoulders.

“I don’t know, but there were a bunch of hot guys going in and out,” she said and I smirked and rolled my eyes and walked into the kitchen to throw my empty Mountain Dew bottles in the recycle bin, “You, my beautiful geek, need to get showered and dressed.”

“Why?” I asked and she smiled brightly, “Oh no, you’ve got a plan.”

“When don’t I have a plan?” she asked and I scoffed and rolled my eyes, “Go shower, I’ll pick the clothes out.”

“All right,” I said and then headed back towards my room and saw my Black Lab, Laya, lying in her dog bed in the corner of the room, “Hey girl, here’s where you’re hiding,” I smirked and scratched the top of her head.

“Hurry up, Hales!” Brittany yelled and I sighed and headed for the shower.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My name is Haley Connolly, a lucky twenty two year old secret multi millionaire, who loves video games, sports, animals, and coffee. Born and raised in Dallas, Texas, I continued my stay even two years ago when I was the sole winner of the 2011 614.3 million dollar lottery. When I was younger, people would ask me why I was never a mean child, when someone hurt my feelings, I just ignored it; when they asked why, I always just responded to them that ‘Karma was a bitch’. I like to think that since I never really treated anyone horribly, I was getting what I deserved.

A lot of people don’t know about my winning, especially in my family because they’re a bunch greedy bastards, my parents being one of them, even though they know. Once a month I send them a check worth a grand, mostly it’s just for them to leave me alone because they were never one to be nice to me, their oldest child. My younger sister was just as much of a bitch as my mother, so I did my best to keep my distance from them all.

I have a job, it’s nothing big, I’m an employee at Mocho Coco, a family owned coffee shop about four blocks from my home. The only people who knew about where I lived and my lucky status, is my friends Brittany and Drake, who are also my fellow employees there. We were all the same age, Drake went to school, worked part-time and lived with his parents, Brittany worked two jobs and lived on the other side of town on her own, though she was barely ever there.

I live at the Azure Condo estate, a huge luxury highrise in downtown Dallas, Texas. One of the first things I did when I won the money, was buy my $3,150,000 three bedroom, three bathrooms, four thousand seven hundred twenty two square feet, almost an acre and half condo. I lived on the twenty ninth floor with five other people. My beautiful home has breathtaking views of downtown and all of Dallas’ skylines, I have a media room, granite countertops, stainless Miele appliances, large living areas, three balconies with fireplaces on each one, a twenty four hour doorman and concierge service. It was a lot for a single person to be living in, but I’ve called my sports memorabilia covered home for two years and I wasn’t going to change a thing about it. I spent about $40,000 on, at the time, brand new, 2012 Cadillac SRX Crossover, and about $15,000 2011 Ducati Streetfighter S motorcycle, and I love them both to death.

I donated a good portion to some charities; ASPCA, St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital, some local police and fire stations, and a few other charities. I still had a good chunk of money left, more than enough so that I’d never have to work again, but I knew that I would grow bored with that life so I decided to go out and get a pretty much stress free job.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Hales, are you almost finished?!” I heard Brittany yell from my room, “I have your clothes out!”

“Where are we going?!” I yelled from the shower and looked at the clock on the counter and saw that it was almost seven at night.

“Girls night!” she yelled and I smirked and rolled my eyes, which meant dinner and probably bar.

I finished up in the bathroom and walked into my room; my towel wrapped around my body and saw a pair of white jean shorts with a dark blue flowy tank that showed off my full sleeve of tattoos on my right arm and my half sleeve on my left. I got dressed and then slipped on my brown gladiator sandals and then threw on my gold bangles and long gold necklace. I bought a lot of night clothes when I won the lottery as well, Brittany went with me and helped me, since she’s the one with good style.

I walked into the living room and saw Brittany sitting on my counter eating one of my yogurts, “You know,” I sighed, “You practically live here, so why don’t you just finalize it.”

“Because I don’t want to,” she said and I rolled my eyes.

“Is this about your family?” I asked and she looked at me sadly, “Britt, I don’t give a shit about what they say.”

“Hales, you know them, if I move in here, they’re going to talk and say that I’m just using you for your money-“

“I know that’s not true, we’ve been friends for a long time and not once have you asked me for money- Even though you know I would help you-“

“Hales, I’m fine, really,” she said and I sighed and nodded my head, “Come on, let’s go have some fun!”

“All right,” I smiled and then turned and saw Laya trotting into the room, “Be good girl, I’ll take you to the park tomorrow.”

Brittany and I opened the front door; I grabbed my side saddle purse and keys and closed the door. Just as I turned around, the door across from me opened and I looked up to meet my new neighbor. He was taller than me, pretty cute, short brown wavy hair and nice eyes.

“Hi,” he smiled towards me and I returned it.

“Hi,” I said and Brittany attached herself to my side.

“Are you the new neighbor?” she asked and I giggled.

“Uh, no, my friend is, a bunch of us are just helping him move in,” he said and there was a little northern accent to him.

“Uh cool,” I said and looked towards Brittany to see her smiling brightly towards the guy and I smirked and rolled my eyes.

“Uh, I’m Freddy,” he said and held out his hand.

“Brittany,” she said excitedly, “And this is Haley, she’s the neighbor, I’m just here- A lot.”

He chuckled and I stood there awkwardly as the two just smirked at each other, “Uh, so yeah, we’re gunna-“

“Dude, close the door, don’t let Marshall out!” I heard from inside the condo.

“Hey asshat! Come out and meet your neighbors!” Freddy yelled and I giggled at how he talked to his friend.