Life of Luxury

Chapter Eight

I was in the middle of doing laundry when I heard the knock on my front door and I froze and then sighed. I took a deep breath and clenched my fists, ‘…Let’s just get this over with….’ I thought and then walked out of the room and saw Laya standing in front of the door wagging her tail, wanting to know who our visitor was. I knew it was them, everyone else just walks right in, in fact I was surprised that they didn’t just walk right into the condo.

I took another deep breath and opened the door and saw my parents standing there, “Haley!” they said and smiled towards me.

“Hi guys,” I said and moved out of the way to let them in, looking in the hallway to see if my little sister was out there, “Where’s Heather?”

“She stayed at her boyfriend’s- Oh honey, cover up your arms, I don’t want to look at those tattoos,” Mom said and I rolled my arms.

“Good to see you too, Mom,” I said and grabbed her bag while she and Dad walked into the home, “I’ll show you to your room.”

“There’s a lot of sports stuff around,” Mom said and I looked at Dad who was just smiling at one of the framed jerseys on the wall.

“Who’s this, Hales?” Dad asked and I smiled at the frame.

“That’s Bob Hayes jersey, he was the wide receiver for the Cowboys, picked in the seventh round during the 1964 NFL Draft,” I smiled proudly, “He died back in 2002 though,” I said and Dad nodded his head, “I’ve actually got a Bob Stanley jersey hanging in the guest room you’ll be in.”

“Who’s that?” Mom asked and Dad smiled, knowing who it was.

“He was a pitcher for the Red Soxs back in the day, dear,” Dad chuckled.

“Yeah, he coaches the Blue Jays now,” I said and Dad nodded his head. I lead my parents into the condo, down the hallway and towards their room, Laya following us the whole way, “You guys are probably tired, I’ll let you rest.”

“I would like to go out to dinner tonight, Haley,” Mom said and I looked at her and nodded my head, “Pick a place and we’ll go.”

“Uh, all right, what are you in the mood for?” I asked, wondering why she was being so nice and less annoying than usual.

“A steakhouse, Haley, we are in Texas,” she said and I nodded my head and then turned away from the door, pulling Laya with me and sighing as I walked into the kitchen.

“Knock, knock,” I heard and turned my head to see Freddy walking into the apartment.

“Hey!” I laughed, “Thought you went back to Boston- Wait, don’t tell me, you missed your bro?” I teased and he chuckled and walked over towards me and plopped his ass on the counter. I was sitting on the stool turning on my laptop to look for a restaurant.

“No, I was actually thinking about moving down here,” he said and I looked at him surprised, “At least for a while, I’m trying to save up to head to LA.”

“Really? What’s in LA?” I asked, typing in my password and seeing my screen savor of Brittany and I hugging each other on the beach this past summer.

“Well- Whoa, wow,” he said and then turned the laptop towards him, “Noice.”

“Focus!” I laughed and pulled the laptop back, “LA?”

“Oh, right, um, well I want to be an artist, best chance I have is if I go there,” he said and I looked at him surprised, “What?”

“Artist? Like a painter?”

“Musician,” he said and I smiled towards him.

“I didn’t know you sang!” I said and he chuckled, “Give me a piece!”

“Maybe later,” he said and I rolled my eyes, “Segs is at practice now and I’m bored with Marshall.”

“Why didn’t you bring him with you?” I asked and Freddy smirked and nudged his head. I turned my head and saw Laya and Marshall playing on the balcony, “Oh, didn’t see him come in.”

“Haley!” I heard and sighed.

“Who’s that?” Freddy asked, turning his head back towards the hallway.

“My parents,” I said and Freddy looked at me, “Don’t look into her eyes, she’ll turn your stone!”

He chuckled and my mother walked into the kitchen and looked at me and then Freddy, “Who’s this?”

“Freddy,” he introduced, “Hales’ neighbor- Well, one of them,” Freddy smiled and waved a little.

“Oh, another boy, Haley?” Mom asked and I bit my lip and nodded my head.

“So I found a restaurant and I’ll make the reservation for six?” I asked, ignoring Mom’s comment.

“Is he joining us? I’d like to get to know him,” she said and my eyes widened.

“Mom, relax, we’re just friends,” I said and she looked at me suspiciously.

“Yeah, just friends, I’m fuckin’ her friend,” he said and my eyes widened and I punched him in the stomach and watched him lean over and fall to the ground, “Didn’t mean to say that out loud,” he grumbled painfully.

“I’ll let your father know about the restaurant,” mom said, shaking her head and walking back down the hallway.

I sighed, covered my face and shook my head, hearing Freddy getting up and pushing himself back onto the counter, “My bad.”

“Shut it,” I growled and he nodded his head.

“How long are they here for?” he asked and I sighed.

“Four days, thank god,” I said and he chuckled.

“So they leave on Wednesday?” Freddy asked and I nodded my head, “Good, Segs has his second Preseason game, you gunna come?”

“When’s the first? Tomorrow?” I asked and Freddy nodded his head, “Sure, ask your fuck buddy is she wants to come too.”

“I just did,” Freddy teased and I smirked and rolled my eyes, “I’m just playin, I already sent a text to Britt, she didn’t get back to me yet.”

“Probably at work,” I said and closed my computer lid and sighed.

“A bunch of friends from back home are coming for his game,” Freddy said and I looked at him.

“Home?”

“Toronto,” he said and I smiled and nodded his head, “Probably gunna have another party.”

“Great, another sleepless night,” I giggled and Freddy smirked.

“You know Segs is gunna invite you.”

“What if I don’t want to come?”

“Why wouldn’t you? If you haven’t noticed, we’re kind of awesome!” Freddy said and I laughed and shook my head, “Bring your friends too- Especially that Derek dork- He was fuckin’ hysterical when he was shit faced.”

“You’re so mean,” I giggled and Freddy shrugged his shoulders and we heard his phone go off, “That Britt?”

“Yeah, she’s in,” he said and I nodded my head.

“So why stay here? Don’t tell me it was for Tyler, because I highly doubt that!” I laughed.

“Eh, it was either here or go back to Toronto, I didn’t want to go back to Toronto,” he said and I nodded my head, “Only went to Boston for my boy.”

“It’s a freakin’ bromance,” I said and then laughed and shook my head.

-Tyler-
I woke up the next morning groaning, feeling sore from yesterday’s practice. I got up, yawned and walked out of my room, heading for the kitchen to grab some breakfast. I had a game tonight, my first in the preseason. I open the fridge and found that I was out of milk, I growled, knowing that Freddy probably drank the last of it.

‘…Haley will have some…’ I thought and then walked out of my apartment and towards her, I don’t really knock anymore, her doors usually unlocked, so I opened the door and walked in. I saw the fridge door opened and smirked, surprised that Haley was up this morning, “Hey Hales, you have any milk?”

The person in the doorway jumped and my eyes widened when I saw that it wasn’t Haley, it looked like an older version of Haley. I cursed and hid behind the counter because I was only in my boxers. I heard the woman scream for Haley and I shook my head and looked around the room awkwardly.

“You always come over in your boxers, son?” I heard and turned around and knew my face was red when I saw a older man sitting at the table, reading the newspaper and sipping on his coffee.

‘…Fuck! I forgot her parents were in town…’