Status: This was a total witch to write. Ba dum tsss.

Blood on My Name

{One}

I twisted my ring around my finger and stared blankly as everyone walked away from the funeral pyre that had yet to be lit. It was tradition for the friends of the deceased to build the pyre and say their goodbyes while the body was still in tact. It was the family’s job to light the fire and stay while it burned. The body had to completely burn, as well.

Witches needed to return to the Earth and all that good stuff.

My twin sister, Violet, grabbed my hand and stood next to me. It was our mother we were about to burn.

“Should I do it?” She asked quietly.

I shook my head and narrowed my eyes, but kept silent. Stepping forward, I flicked my wrist with ease and flames shot up on the pyre. Violet stood with me as the flames burned the wood and our mother’s body. The smell was dreadful and I heaved off to the side, but nothing came up because of the lack of food in my belly.

“Rose?” My sister called from her spot, “are you alright?”

I clenched my fists and shot up, “Do I look alright to you?”

Violet flinched at my harsh tone, but I continued, “Our mother has just died! Of course I’m not alright!”

She turned her gaze back towards the orange glow of the fire and watched as it consumed the woman who birthed us.

“Doesn’t it seem strange?” She asked and crossed her arms.

“Yes,” I responded, calming down, “she was perfectly healthy three days ago and now she’s dead from a mysterious sickness.”

Violet frowned and shifted her weight as she continued to stare. We were twins and even though we looked very similar, we were far from identical. My hair was a few shades lighter than her dark brown. My eyes were a clear light blue and her’s were a stormy grey. We were twenty-four, but Violet somehow managed to look a little older. I think that it is from her constant frowning. Mom always said that a witch’s natural talents are just a reflection of her personality.

Violet was skilled in necromancy, which wasn’t as dark as people think it is. When we were children and she would see a dead bird or an animal on the side of the road, she would cry her heart out. She cared about other’s well being. She couldn’t bring back our mother though. All magic comes with a price. A small bird or a fox wouldn’t affect much, but bringing back a human would have dire consequences.

I was more gifted with the elemental side of things. Though, elemental witches have to choose which to focus on and I chose fire. The flames called to me, which made me weaker to water because of the ‘All magic comes with a price’ thing. My mother was never shocked at my skill with fire since I was loud and hot-headed and stubborn. I seemed to feel every emotion just a bit stronger than others.

“Do you think someone planned this?” Violet questioned.

“I know someone did, Vi,” I responded as I stared into the mesmerizing flames, “I think it was Magnolia.”

She snapped her head around to look at me in shock, “why would Magnolia want to kill Mom?”

I turned my gaze to her and resisted the urge to roll my eyes, “you know how jealous she’s always been! Mom was a healer and brought good into this world. Magnolia can’t stand to see anyone else happy.”

Violet let out a little gasp and shifted, “hat explains a lot.”

“Violet,” I snapped and grabbed her by her thin shoulders, “what are you talking about?”

“About a week ago, I overheard her talking to someone about a deathroot poison. I didn’t think about it again until you mentioned how Mom died.”

The fire was starting to die down and we were going to need to go back to the house soon.

“We can’t stay there,” I said.

“What?”

“If she killed Mom…” I paused and looked at the dying flames, “we’re not safe.”

“Look, Rose,” she responded, “let’s just get back and sleep this off. It’s been a stressful day.”

I sighed, knowing there would be no arguing and followed Violet back to the house we shared with the other witches.

††††

My eyes fluttered open and I felt someone watching me. I froze and a furry head rubbed against my hand. A small, sleepy giggle escaped my lips and I scratched my cat, Felix's, head.

I laid there for a few minutes, letting Felix get his cuddles when there was a quiet knock on my door. Sitting up, I didn’t even get a chance to get out of bed before someone quickly entered my room. I quickly snapped my eyes shut as the intruder flipped my light on.

“Rose,” a voice I recognized as Violet said, “you need to get up.”

I peeked through my fingers and saw Poppy standing next to my sister with a terrified look on her face. “What is going on?”

“I had a dream,” Poppy stated and I gulped. Her dreams seemed to be more like ‘who is gonna die next’.

“She had a dream about you and so she decided to go for a walk to clear her head, but on her walk she overheard someone talking about another deathroot poison,” Violet explained and I looked at Poppy to continue.

The teenager bit her lip and shifted from foot to foot, “it was a man I didn’t recognize. He was talking to someone and he said that ‘now that the healer is out of the way, it is time for the fire bitch’,” she explained using air quotes.

I rubbed Felix’s head and looked around nervously, “I have to go.”

“Yes! You need to go now!” Violet exclaimed, “you can take the kitchen exit.”

I quickly gathered a few things and put them into a backpack before pulling on some appropriate clothes. Kissing my sister and Poppy on their cheeks, I picked up Felix and made my way to the kitchen.

††††

I walked down the side of the street with Felix wrapped in his favorite blanket in my arms. He was frightened and his pupils were large. Planting a kiss on his furry head, I looked at the sky. The sun would be rising soon, so it was probably around 6 a.m. I’ve been walking for three hours, but I couldn’t stop. They’d be noticing I’m gone soon and I needed to put as much distance between us.

Our house was outside of New Orleans and was probably a thirty minute drive, but I’m moving much slower. I looked around the city and spotted a small diner.

“Cats aren’t allowed in here, Felix. You’ll have to stay still,” I mumbled as I wrapped the blanket tighter around him, “I’ll get you lots of food as soon as I’m done here.”

I entered the diner and took a seat in the booth closest to the door, enjoying the warmth of the indoors. My bag was against the wall and Felix was laying next to me. A waitress who seemed about my age walked over and gave a small smile.

“Hi, I’m Ashley and I’ll be your server today. What would you like to drink?” She asked.

“Coke,” I responded and she walked away. We never had soda at the house so I was going to enjoy this. I glances through the menu and scratched Felix’s ear.

Ashley came back and gave me the drink. I ordered bacon and cheesy eggs. She turned to walk away, but paused.

“Did you know animals weren’t allowed in here?”

I shifted and placed a protective hand on Felix. A witch’s cat is as precious as her child. “Please, don’t make me leave him outside. He’s frightened.”

Ashley turned around and gave a small smile, “I’ll put your order in, but I’ll be back and you’re going to tell me everything.”

I watched her walk away and I sipped anxiously at my coke. She soon returned and slid into the booth in front of me.

“Can I see him?”

I nodded and pulled the blanket off the top of his head. He turned to Ashley and she began to giggle.

“I’m sorry. I tend to laugh if I see something cute. What’s his name?” She responded.

“Felix.”

“So,” she started, dragging out the ‘o’, “why are you and Felix walking down the street at six in the morning with a bag stuffed to the max?”

I shifted uncomfortably and put the blanket back over the top of Felix’s head, his face still sticking out so he could breathe.

Ashley was quiet for a minute before sliding out and quickly returning with my food. She took her place back and stare at me for a minute.

“You came from that witch house didn’t you? The one outside of town?”

My eyes snapped and I began to protest.

“Don’t deny it. I can see your brand.”

I looked down at my wrist and frowned at the scar that was shaped like a skull. “I could be into self-mutilation.”

Ashley tilted her head and sighed, “I was raised around shit like this. My parents taught us to kill people like you.”

“Why am I still breathing? Or are you waiting for me to leave?” I questioned.

“Because my father is dead and you might be the only one who can help us. Plus, you don’t seem that bad.”

I raised an eyebrow and leaned forward, “Help with what?”

“My brother is on this revenge fueled witch killing spree, but he’s not looking at the big picture. We don’t want to kill all witches, we want one witch. The one who killed our father,” Ashley explained.

“How am I supposed to help?”

“You guys are hard to kill, and even harder to interrogate. You know how to do it. We need you.”

I took a deep breath, “I’m supposed to do this out of the goodness of my heart?”

Ashley gave a heavy sigh, “I don’t know. Maybe? I don’t know what I expected.”

I stayed silent for a minute and began to eat my food. “A favor for a favor.”

Ashley looked up happily and began to grin, “Sure! Anything!”

“This woman, Magnolia, killed my mother and planned to kill me. She’s probably going for my sister soon. I need help to kill her.”

She nodded. “As soon as you finish eating, I’ll take you and Felix back to my place. My brother is in Nevada, but he’ll be here in a few days after I call him.”

I bit a piece of bacon and looked down at my feline. “My name is Rose. We should probably stop by the store on the way back, though. Felix is probably starving.”

††††

“Hey, Rose,” Ashley greeted as I walked into her living room, “Levi should be here sometime today.”

I nodded in understanding and joined her on the couch. Felix jumped up and laid in between Ashley and me.

“I explained the situation to him already, but my brother isn’t the most trusting,” Ashley explained, “I’m not expecting his best behavior. Just… be prepared for rude comments and possible threats to your health.”

I let out a small laugh, “I’ll be fine, Ashley.”

There was a knock at the door and she stood up. “He also has an Irish Wolfhound. A big one.”

I placed a protective hand on Felix and Ashley opened the door. A beige-y grey dog rushed in and immediately made its way over to us. Felix puffed up and hissed at the large, shaggy dog. I turned my gaze back to the door and a man pushed his way through. He was very tall and was at the couch in three steps. His hand wrapped around my throat, Ashley began to scream at him, and I glared at the mutt that was scaring my baby.

“Why are you controlling my sister?” He snapped, green eyes blazing.

“I’m not controlling anyone.”

“I’m totally fine, Levi!” Ashley yelled at him, “I knew you wouldn’t be accepting, but Jesus Christ! Do you really have to choke her?”

Levi glared for a moment before releasing my from his hold.

“Get your filthy dog away from my cat!” I snarled.

“Levi,” Ashley said and I could picture her using that voice on her future children.

“Calm, Chief,” Levi answered and the dog, Chief, backed away from Felix and his tail began to wag as he walked over to me. Chief stuck his head up on the couch and licked my hand.

“Why did you call me here, Ash?” Levi questioned as he turned to his sister.

“Rose can help us.”

††††

“He is not coming with us.”

I shot Levi an icy glare. “Felix is going with us.”

“I don’t want a damn cat in my car,” he sneered.

“I don’t want to travel with a disgustingly smelly dog!” I shot back, “when was the last time you gave him a bath?”

Levi narrowed his eyes, “he’s not coming.”

“He is.”

“He’s not.”

“Is.”

“Not”

“Is.”

Ashley slammed her hands on the doorframe of the room I’ve been staying in. “You two sound like four year olds! Just take the fucking cat!”

Levi huffed and gave in.

It’s been a week since I’ve met Levi, and he can’t seem to say no to his little sister. He also can’t stand the thought of having me riding shotgun.

We were about to depart from New Orleans. He had a few leads up north, but both of us were far from excited. Days stuck in a car with him wasn’t appealing.

“Before you go, Rose,” Ashley started with a smile, “will you light my fire place? I’m out of lighter fluid.”

Nodding, I walked into her living room and flicked my wrist at her waiting fireplace. It began to crackle as the flames emerged.

“Thank you,” she called and I waved my hand.

I wrapped Felix in his blanket and grabbed my bag. Levi lead me to his car and Chief jumped in the backseat. I threw my bag in the back and slid into the passenger seat. Felix closed his eyes and began to purr when Levi started the heating. It was the end of November and I wasn’t looking forward to going further north. I prefer everything hot.

Levi backed out of the parking space and we began our journey.

“Damn cat better not piss in my car.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Rose

I'm being enrolled in a new school tomorrow and the only rational option was to stay up until 5 a.m to write about damn witches.

Punctuation is a mean bitch, so I'm sorry if semi colons, commas, and colons were misused.

Anywhore, wish me luck as I start a new online school program thingy!