Journey of Alexandria

Chapter 1

Running across the muddy ground, toes digging into the muck, I swung around a corner at full speed as insults and curses were thrown at my back with an assortment of hard objects.

“Witch!”

“Demon!”

Heart pounding and lungs burning, I aimed for the alley I knew to be a few feet ahead on my right, forcing my legs to keep up the grueling pace as the thunder of a mob’s footsteps stayed close behind.

“Fae whore!”

“You won’t get away this time!”

Something hit the back of my calf, and another struck me full in the back, but I kept going despite the hot flashes of pain.

Taking a turn into the alley, I put on a last burst of speed, hurtling towards the old wooden fence that cut it off at the end.

A slew of rather filthy words followed as I leapt up and, using my hands on the uneven wooden boards to flip forward, cleared the obstacle in a matter of moments.

Slipping in the mud, knees buckling from all the strain, I grit my teeth and propelled myself forward to rebuild momentum.

“Damn it!”

“Get back here!”

There was no way I was going to do that, not for all the money in Araluen.

Having bought some time to get away, I skidded into a connecting alley and jumped onto the normal pile of rubbish to the left.

With the boost, I was able to grab the edge of the roof with both hands and swing my legs over, scraping my knees on the rough tiles.

Rolling onto my back, I panted for breath, heart thudding like a fast-paced drum in my ears as I took stock.

My back was likely bruised, judging by the deep aches, my left leg felt sticky and warm, and liquid dripped down from the painful tear a rock had made in my forehead.

“She vanished!”

“Little witch! Must have taken the chance to spirit away!”

“Split up and find her!”

Staying still and quieting my breathing, I listened to the mob below on my right as they muttered amongst themselves and eventually dispersed.

Once they were all gone, I let out a deep breath and relaxed, a breeze rolling over my sweating skin as I sprawled.

All in all, a pretty good day.