Journey of Alexandria

Chapter 2

Curled up in the thick roots of a tree, I listened to the forest while half-dozing in the shade, at ease.

A bird sang as she flitted around over my head, her little chicks squeaking happily at their mother’s return, and a squirrel chattered softly as it ran across the untamed grass, shuffling around at random intervals.

Knees hugged close, I turned my face into a breeze, taking in the fresh smell of trees and wildflowers.

God, if every day could be like this

A horrible screech echoed off the trees, and I jerked upright, startled as a ringing filled my sensitive ears.

What the…?

The sound came again, like a warning bell in the back of my mind, and I scrambled to my feet in growing panic.

The third cry helped me pinpoint a direction, and I took off toward it, long skirt slapping and tangling around my legs as I ran.

Feet bare against the soft grass, I barely heard the steady rhythm of my footsteps over my own heartbeat as I got within proper hearing distance.

“Stupid cat!”

A low hissing followed the shout, and three separate male voices jeered at the feline they were obviously tormenting.

I immediately recognized the voices as boys from the village, ones that had never missed a chance to make my life miserable, and a burning rage filled me.

“Hey!”

The shouting stopped suddenly, but I held my ground, scowling back at those…those bullies.

“Leave that cat alone!”

“What are you gonna do if we don’t, witch-girl?” One of them shot back, upset. “Run away?”

Fists clenched tight at my sides, I raised my chin defiantly, any fear I felt washed out by anger.

Necessity had taught me to fight, even without seeing my opponent, and I was no longer afraid of pain.

“Leave-the cat-alone.”

There was a long moment where no one responded, only breathed, so I heard those first rushed footsteps easily.

Judging by the speed and pace, he was rearing back for a punch, and I reacted accordingly.

Ducking under the blow, feeling it pass just over my head, I shoved my shoulder forward into my attacker’s chest where I calculated his diaphragm to be.

With a strangled gasp, he fell backwards with a THUMP on the grass as I pulled back, biting down on any pain.

One of the others shouted, a high-pitched note of shock, and another, the boy that had always been the ringleader before, screamed in a fury.

Get her!”

Both of them came at me, one from each side, and I braced myself to wait for just the right moment-

In a move they likely weren’t expecting, I spun around and shot one foot out, tripping up the boy on the right so he stumbled into his comrade and sent both of them to the grass in a groaning mass.

Crouched low on the grass, I listened for any sign of movement, every nerve tingling with adrenaline as the seconds ticked by.

When they made no effort to rise after a tense few minutes, I turned my attention towards the hissing that was still going to my right, like a low whistle from a teakettle.

Clicking my tongue softly, I shuffled closer, staying low in a practiced move I used with wild rabbits and foxes.

“Hi, sweetheart…” I whispered, keeping my voice light. “It’s alright, I’m not going to hurt you…”

Holding a hand out, palm down, I waited.

Slowly, the hissing faded away, and all I could hear was the occasional groan from behind as I stayed still, patient.

Nothing happened for a long time, long enough that I thought the cat must have run off, until I felt whiskers tickle my knuckles and a moist nose hovered over sensitive skin.

Relaxing, I let the poor cat sniff as much as it wanted, mostly glad I hadn’t been holding my hand out to open air this whole time.

With a purr, the feline rubbed a furry head against my fingers, and I returned the affection with a good scratch behind the round little ears.

The purring grew louder, like rocks grinding against each other, and I couldn’t help but giggle at the sound.

“Silly kitty…”

Careful, I scooped the cat up in my arms, taking note of the tense hind leg and wet fur around the ribs.

“Sh, it’s alright.” I cooed, soothing the poor thing as it meowed pitifully. “I’ll take care of you, don’t worry…”

The hairs on the back of my neck prickled, and I straightened, nerves on-edge as I focused my senses outward.

All I heard were the normal forest sounds, rustling leaves and birds fluttering, superimposed over the groaning boys I was purposely ignoring.

Frowning, I shrugged off the strange feeling and stood, humming as little claws hooked into my shirt.

“That’s it, I’m here…”

Reaching out, I ran my fingertips over the nearest tree’s bark, judging the type and relative size as best I could in order to determine how far into the forest we were.

A clean slice in the side singled this out as future lumber, which meant this particular side faced the village, so I turned around and headed off in that direction.

“Let’s get you cleaned up, kitty…”