Journey of Alexandria

Chapter 4

At first, I could not fully grasp the implications of what Mr. Harper had said.

The breadth of it was too vast, the depth beyond me, for what felt like ages.

For the first time in my life, I doubted my own ears.

“Redmont?” I parroted, unsure. “You want to take me with you to Castle Redmont?”

A shuffle of feet, almost nervous, and he huffed.

“If ya want. Figured ya’d like ta come along, go somewhere new…”

Slowly, my mind snapped back into action, and I’m fairly certain the smile on my face was almost big enough to split me open from ear to ear.

“Of course I’ll go!” I gushed, cutting in before he changed his mind. “When do we go? What sort of clothes should I bring? Should I grab a cloak? Will we be riding there? Which horse are we taking?”

A deep chuckle interrupted the rush of questions, and a hand ruffled my hair, gentle.

“Breathe, ya little anklebiter, or ya’ll keel right over.” Mr. Harper joked, tone fond. “We head out in the morning. Anne will pack what ya need, and I’ll get Arrow ready. All ya need ta do is get up when I say, alright?”

Almost vibrating in excitement, I nodded, unable to trust my own voice.

“Good. Then get that cat ‘a yers and go back ta the kitchen with Anne. We got extra mouths ta feed tonight, and need all the help we can get.”

Doing my best not to giggle, I nodded rapidly in agreement, whipping around with a little bounce in my step.

“Zilla, come!”

Meowing in response, almost as if to say “Coming!”, she ran down a nearby table with a soft tha-thump and landed on my shoulders light as a blanket.

With the ease of practice, I weaved through the tables and chairs towards the heavy swinging door on the opposite side that led to the kitchen, practically giddy.

Mr. Harper might have muttered something about kids being excitable, but I hardly cared.

Finally, things were changing.