Journey of Alexandria

Chapter 5

Of the two horses the Harper’s owned, Arrow was my favorite.

He was still not quite full-grown, with all the energy of a colt, and he always snuffled at my face in greeting when I visited him in the inn’s stable late at night.

While Sunny, the old mare, was just as friendly and gentle, she no longer had the spring in her step that made playing tag so much fun.

Sitting in the saddle for the first time, gripping the pommel tight with both hands, I enjoyed the rhythmic bob and sway of Arrow’s pace, fresh wind blowing into my face with a scent of fresh apples and tree sap.

“We’re almost there.” Mr. Harper pointed out, deep voice rumbling from his chest through my back.

Zilla shifted slightly on my shoulder so I could cock one ear forward, listening closely.

The faint hum of a village-a mesh of voices, the low thunder of footsteps, a symphony of barks and yowls and crows-reached me then, along with a faint impression of smells.

Baking bread, the strange odor of heated and cooled metals, the musky scent of horses…

God, but I couldn’t help being excited.

I had never left the village before, had believed I never would, and now…

Now, I had a chance.

Added pressure to his sides had Arrow jerking into a three-beat canter, and I relaxed easily into the new rhythm, unable to hold back a smile as Mr. Harper grumbled about needing to retrain him on smooth transitions.

At the new pace, we reached the village within an hour.

I’d never heard such noise as in Wensley Village; woman gossiped in clusters all down the streets, children shrieked in laughter as they raced by, and all manner of people passed on either side, rushing on errands or some other such business.

So used to the bitter quiet and yelling of home, I had no previous experience to compare it to.

Arrow clopped over a wooden bridge of some sort, pulling short as someone moved forward in a jingle of metal links and plates.

“What’s your business here, stranger?”

“I’m here to see Baron Arald.” Mr. Harper answered, calm. “Could you tell him Jonathon Harper is here?”

“Ah, yes, we were told to look out for you.” The man answered, sounding relaxed. “I’ll get a stable boy to take care of your horse, and we can go straight to the Baron’s office.”

As he yelled across the yard, Mr. Harper dismounted with a dull thump, the bridle rustling faintly as he likely gathered the reins.

Patting Arrow’s neck, I made sure Zilla was securely in place before swinging a leg over and sliding to the ground, heart leaping up at the lack of ground under my feet for a few breathless moments.

Arrow nickered as someone stepped up and the bridle shifted again, and I turned towards Mr. Harper as the other man cleared his throat.

“This way, please.”

Following him across a cobblestone yard, I stayed close behind Mr. Harper as my head swiveled this way and that to take everything in.

People rushed to and fro, the sound of papers fluttering behind them, and there was a steady jingle of metal and footsteps from soldiers going about patrols or doing business for higher-ups.

The floor smoothed out under my shoes, the warmth of the sun blocked from my skin, and I paused just inside the castle when a hand landed on my shoulder.

“Stay here, anklebiter.” Mr. Harper ordered, firm. “This ain’t a discussion for ya ta be hearing.”

Pouting up at him, I eventually nodded, shuffling to the right as their footsteps went straight ahead and up stairs before becoming muffled despite the echoing quality of stone.

Arms crossed, I turned my head to rub cheeks with Zilla, mind turning over what Mr. Harper had said.

Not a discussion for me to hearing…What did he mean by that? What exactly were they talking about? Why bring me along if I wasn’t involved at all?

Curious despite myself, I took a step towards the staircase, head cocked to listen for footsteps or voices.

When none came, I gathered my courage and moved forward, careful to not make any noise as I slipped up the steps.

Staying low, I held one palm against the wall as a guide while I continued upward, breathing soft and even to keep from giving myself away.

The familiar timber of Mr. Harper’s voice drew me into the right hallway, and Zilla shifted against my neck, bristling.

Humming softly to soothe her, I continued along, feet feather-light on the stone as my fingertips followed the faint grooves in the wall on my right.

At every doorframe, I paused and tilted one ear closer, checking to see who was beyond and if the door was open.

After three such breaks, where I was lucky enough not to have to skirt past any open doorways, I found my destination across the hall.

Slipping across, I went quiet as Mr. Harper and another voice-male, older, likely the Baron he had come to meet-conversed in moderate tones behind a thick wooden door.

A prickle of awareness rushed up my spine, and I froze against the wall, straining to hear anything beyond the voices I had been tracking.

Nothing.

Wary, I slowly moved to the doorway, crouching as Zilla pressed tight against me with a low hiss.

Pressing my fingertips against the barrier, I leaned in carefully, brow furrowing as I tried to make out words…

The low hiss turned into a sharp yowl when a hand grabbed me roughly by the arm, hauling me up and off my feet in a matter of seconds.

Squeaking in shock, I had no time to register what had happened before my arm was pinned to a stone wall.

The grip was firm, but not painful, and that thought calmed my panicking thoughts somewhat.

Everyone else that had ever grabbed me like that had never bothered to control their own strength.

“What do you think you’re doing?”

Taking a deep breath to steady my racing heart, I reached up with one hand to keep Zilla from leaping, hissing and spitting, into the man’s face with her claws.

“I was…” I started, quiet. “I just wanted to know what they were talking about.”

There was silence for a moment, and I was surprised to find I couldn’t quite hear him breathe or move at all, even when the man pulled me along with him.

“I’m sure the Baron would like to know about this.”

My heart did a neat little somersault at the thought before dropping into my stomach like a heavy rock.

Oh God, Mr. Harper wouldn’t get in trouble for this, would he? I didn’t mean to cause trouble, I didn’t! I just wanted to know

Guilt turned my innards into a tumultuous sea, and I was almost nauseous with it when the door was opened, stopping the conversation beyond as I shuffled inside, head bowed.

Zilla paced my shoulders, claws flexing in my clothes in agitation, and I swallowed past the lump in my throat.

“Well, who do we have here?”

The voice was a bit deep, though not so much as Mr. Harper or the mystery man, with a friendly tone that would remind most of a caring uncle.

“Alexandria, sir.” I replied, unable to raise my voice to normal speaking levels.

“I found her listening in at the door. Slipped past all the guards like a ghost up the stairs and down the hallway.”

“Sounds about right.” Mr. Harper voiced, a teasing note in his voice. “Never learned to stay put, this one.”

“Impressive…Come up here, Alexandria, and let me get a good look at you.”

Nervous, I forced my legs to carry me forward three more paces, hesitating on the last step.

I know I’m not much to look at; at least, that’s what I’ve been told. I’m small, smaller than everyone I’d ever met, and covered from head to toe in half-healed scrapes, cuts, bruises and rough scars.

A part of me wanted to hide, to curl up in a corner where no one would look for me, but I stood firm.

It was my own fault for trying to eavesdrop, and I deserved every moment.

“What do you think, Halt?” The Baron wondered, tone surprisingly light for someone who had just caught a girl eavesdropping on a private conversation.

Zilla flexed her claws once more, pricking me gently, and I tilted my head just right, wondering what the mystery man-Halt-would say.

“…I think you should tell her what you two were discussing.”

Confused, not to mention suspicious, my attention turned to Baron Arald and Mr. Harper, a frown taking shape.

“Of course, of course…Would you like to do the honors, Mr. Harper?”

“It would be my pleasure, sir.” He assured, sounding almost…Proud? “Ya see, anklebiter, Ranger Halt here wants ta take ya on as an apprentice.”

Mind spinning with the implications, I felt my heart leap back up and lodge in my throat.

He wanted to take me on as an apprentice? An apprentice Ranger? I would stay here, in Castle Redmont and Wensley Village? I wouldn’t have to go back?

“I hope you realize I’m not actually a witch.” I finally said, the vague rumors coming to mind.

“Of course you’re not.” Halt replied, stern. “A real witch wouldn’t have gotten so beaten up.”

Snorting in amusement, I felt my heart finally settle, a feather-light weight in my chest.

“I’d love to be your apprentice, Ranger Halt.” I decided, bowing my head in his direction. “As long as you don’t go easy on me.”

I could have sworn the Ranger sounded amused when he answered, though his voice was just as grim as before.

“Trust me, I won’t.”