Status: We're just getting started here.

Ohioisonfire

I can't remember anything anymore

Austin's P.O.V

I slunk down into my seat as my waiter, who still remained nameless, handed me a battered menu. He shot me an apologetic smile as I looked the dingy paper over; how on earth was this place still open?

“What would you like to drink?” he questioned as he tapped a pen impatiently on his lips, his manager shook his head in disapproval.

“Water, please.” I answered quietly as my eyes left the red head and wandered back to the menu. I was starving at this point and more than willing to stuff myself with whatever; but being the picky eater that I was...finding something could take some time. After a few moments, the lanky man made his way back to my table and carefully sat the drink on the counter; meanwhile, a few other patrons walked in but he blatantly ignored them.

“See anything you'd like?” he inquired in a hushed tone, for someone in his position he was a very reserved person; usually, waiters annoyed me to death with their incessant ramblings and recommendations.

“Just give me some pancakes, 3 of them, and a side of bacon.” I resolved as I shut my menu and handed it off to him,

“You sure you don't want anything else?” he pried as he rocked back on his heels; I shook my head. With that he turned on his heel and once again, paraded back behind the counter. I let my eyes drift out the window I was seated next too, the sky was darker than before and the clouds hung even lower. Cracks of thunder began to resound, and without much warning a steady downpour of rain had begun. I always loved storms, something about them made me feel peaceful. And peace was often hard to come by. At some point, a plate was set in front of me and I was thanking the man once again; but I kept my speech short as I was dying to dig into the food that hopefully, tasted as good as it looked. I had cleared my plate in a matter of minutes, and I could all but feel the elderly couple seated in front of me staring at me as if I was some sort of rabid dog. It didn't bother me, people who never had to worry about going hungry couldn't relate to my position, and I certainly didn't expect their understanding.

“Lot of rain today, huh?” the red headed boy asked me as he came back to clear away my plate; I nodded my head tiredly.

“Tons, great day to sleep if you ask me.” I answered with a some what timid smile; talking to people was never my strong suit, and while he was fairly easy to talk too, I found something unnerving about having to communicate with people for prolonged amounts of time.

“I don't think I've seen you around before, you new here?” he inquired as he stacked the silverware atop of the barren plate; I let out a small laugh.

“No, I've lived here for a year now. I...don't get out much, but if you'll excuse me...I have somethings I have to attend too.” Like sleeping. I fished my wallet out of my jeans and extended a five dollar bill out to him, he looked at me completely awestruck.

“Sir, I told you I would pay for everything...” he mumbled as his face shot a muted shade of red, I shrugged my shoulders.

“Well consider this a tip for putting up with me, and thank you again for the food.” I shoved the bill into his hand before making my way to the door,
“Sir! It's pouring down the rain! You can stay here until it calms down a little...” he called after me, I turned to see a slightly concerned look on his face; while his manager yet again, shook their head in disapproval.

“I think I'll be okay.” I smiled as I slipped out the door and into an onslaught of torrential rain; if I was slightly less exhausted, perhaps I would have taken him up on his offer, but sleep was exactly what I needed. I ran down the streets for several minutes before veering under a news stand for brief protection from the weather; the stands keeper shot me a knowing look as I used my new found free time to browse the stand. I picked up the days paper and read the header carefully, then a few times over.

“31 days until Christmas!”

31 days.

There had to have been a typo as the date read November 20 2010; I cast the vender a confused glance as I held the paper out for him to see.

“Typo much? November 20th isn't for another 3 days...” I giggled as I laid the paper back where I found it and was only slightly startled when the older man cleared his throat.

“Son, it is November 20th. You been under a rock or something?” he giggled as he took another customers money and handed them a magazine in exchange, I stared at the paper blankly.
This was impossible, he was only kidding...right? But as I turned to face him one more time and I caught his worried glance I was sure of two things. It really was November 20th and I had absolutely no idea what I had done the last three days...but sure enough; they were long since gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
title cred: om&m - the depths

uh-oh. That is NOT good.

Leave me stuff C:

xoxo
Siren