Status: Active, mainly

Against All Odds

Skating

Your name is Karkat Vantas and you're at your favorite haunt on a Friday night: the skating rink. Alone, as usual, you effortlessly glide around the throngs of people, as you attempt to clear your head. Not an easy feat.

You came here after you had a fight with your dad. There are often fights between the two of you, as he can be a bit... crabby, sometimes, but the fight today was worse than usual. But that was only because he was drunk, which happened so much more often these days.

While your attention was averted, a small child sped in front of you and you almost ran into her. Mumbling apologies angrily under your breath, you shake your head at your stupidity. You decide it's time to take a break before you hurt someone and quickly skate to the sidelines and take a seat.

With nothing better to do, you watch the other skaters. While some were almost as good as you, the rest were nearly comically bad. Fixing your eyes on one of the worst of them, you watch as the ginger attempts to skate in a curve. Though she couldn't seem to skate more than a few feet without falling, you couldn't help but notice she was kind of cute. Her red hair was shoulder-length, and flipped at the tip, framing her porcelain face and making her teal eyes stand out. The strap of her loose red-and-teal stripped tank-top was perpetually falling over her shoulder. After watching her make a few more wipe-outs, you skate over to help her up.

Holding your hand down to her, you ask "HEY. NEED SOME HELP?" barely able to keep the laughter out of your unnecessarily loud.

Ignoring your hand, she mumbled angrily, "I C4N DO 1T MYS3LF, TH4NK YOU." You smiled at her voice, which was strange but kind of adorable at the same time.

When she arose and began to try to skate again, you tried a different approach. "IF YOU WANT, I CAN TEACH YOU TO SKATE. NO OFFENSE, BUT YOU'RE KIND OF COMICALLY BAD."

"1 DON'T N33D-" She began, aggravated, when she slipped, only saved from the hard wooden floor by your hands, quick to steady her.

Her teal eyes stared into your red ones (you were albino on your mother's side and inherited the eyes and skin, which contrasted quite a bit with your messy black hair) and you said gently "YOU WERE SAYING?"

She shook you off her and tried to skate away, saying "YOU D1STR4CT3D M3."

Skating backwards in front of her, you said, smiling (which was odd for you. Your face was much more often contorted into a scowl) "NOT TOO F*CKING DIFFICULT, IS IT? OH, I'M KARKAT, BY THE WAY."

"T3R3Z1." she said tersely, eyes wandering aimlessly.

"PRETTY NAME."

She grinned. "YOU TOO. WHO N33DS NORM4L N4M3S L1K3 R4CH3L AND TYL3R, 4NYW4Y?"

Recognizing these names as two of the most popular kids in your school- and some of the biggest bullies- you said "THEY PICK ON YOU, TOO? F*CKA**ES."

Laughing, she agreed. "Y34H. YOU GO TO ST. LOU1S H1GH, TOO?"

Blushing slightly for reasons you couldn't quite understand, you replied eagerly "YEAH. WEIRD, I'VE NEVER SEEN YOU BEFORE."

Her shoulders sagged a bit. "Y34H. W31RD. LOOK, K4RKL3S, W4S 1T? *(You try to interrupt and tell her your name was actually KarKAT, but she continued anyway.)* 1'M K1ND4 BUSY TRY1NG NOT TO F4LL, SO COULD YOU L34V3 M3 ALON3? 1- 1'LL S33 YOU 4ROUND, OK4Y?" she said, skating faster.

Rocking back and forth in your skates, you said quietly "YEAH, SEE YOU AROUND, TEREZI." feeling like you failed again. Just one more thing your dad could add to his already-too-long list of your mistakes.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so sorry 7or su8j3cting you to this, 8ut thanks 7or r3ading! I had th3 id3a at th3 skating rink (wh3r3 3ls3?) and had to writ3 it down. Comm3nts? Purrrrrrrrrrrl3as3??????