Creation: The Lore of Space and Time

The Creation

Billions of years ago, before there was life, before there was earth, before there was anything, there was nothing; only a blank canvas that was the young universe. There were no planets, no stars, and no galaxies. There were only two things that lived within this desolate land: Time and Space. They each lived on their own end of the universe, and so had never met. They never knew that there was someone else lost out in the darkness, waiting for a purpose. And it remained that way for thousands of years, both beings shrouded in their own corners of the universe, until a huge explosion erupted in blinding light in the middle of the darkness. Both intrigued, the two started for the source of the explosion, bringing them together to meet for the first time.

Both racing to the site of the explosion, Space arrived first, where huge clouds of dust and debris were still spinning. She had never seen anything like this before, something she could touch, something that actually took up space. The dust was thousands of different colors, and the magnum amount of energy that was still in the air from the bang filled Space with power. She reached out and moved the dust around, some patches slowly, some quickly. The dust spun in circles, beginning to cling to one another, and the patches began to grow in size. She dashed and pranced through the dust clouds, now beginning to diminish and take on the form of larger balls, each their own size and color. They were so beautiful; she couldn’t help herself but continue to create these works of art.

Time arrived soon after, wandering through the new museum of colorful dust and gas clusters. He admired them, and praised the universe for its new beautiful creation, realizing that it was nice to see something other than darkness for once. He approached one of the spheres long after Space had left, and something felt off to him. There was something missing from this beautiful little ball that kept it from being perfect. Time tapped it, and the sphere began to spin in place. A smile came across his face; now it was perfect.

Space continued on her with her creations, swirling dust and rocks together, each one bigger than the next, until they towered over her. And though she loved the change in scenery, she grew weary of the same thing. She wanted to go bigger and brighter; she was tired of this eternal darkness. So from the corners of the universe, she gathered all the dust and energy that she could, and swept it into a huge compact sphere. It was thousands of times bigger than she was, and it shook and sputtered, as the power she held pressed in on it, and the energy of the universe surged through it, a sudden illumination burst out of it. All of the other balls and spheres glowed in the light, and she knew she had to make more.

Time had continued on appearing to each ball and tapping it, and making them rotate in place. When the sudden light illuminated the sphere he had been at, he turned towards the biggest and brightest thing he had ever seen in the universe, and was astounded by it. He wandered his way towards it and took in all its beauty, but felt the same thing with all the others; it was missing something. But it wasn’t the same as the others; just making it rotate wouldn’t make it perfect. Time glanced over at the other spheres as they spun, and he suddenly realized what this glowing ball needed. With the power instilled deep inside of him, he placed a power over all the spheres, beginning to push and pull them, and they started to move. They started to dance around the glowing one, rotating and revolving; Time had never seen such a beautiful sight. But as he admired, another glow appeared far off, and he began to wonder what was making these beautiful spheres. He raced towards the newest creation, and looked around him to see that more normal spheres were made as well. It was then that he felt something, no, someone around him and looked up only to see Space still swirling the dust and gas.

Astounded that he wasn’t as alone in the universe as he thought, he flew up to her. Quickly, she took notice of him as well and felt wary of his presence, not used to being in anyone else’s presence. Looking at her, he asked if she was the one making the spheres. She said yes, and as she did, she saw over his shoulder that all that she had made behind him was spinning. Space looked at Time with a scowl, and asked why he messed with what she made. He said he was simply fixing them, that they were made almost perfect. With sudden irritation, she grew offended, and quickly created another sphere, almost within seconds. It was the most beautiful one she had made so far. She turned back to him, and asked if that was perfect, and he responded no. With one flick of the wrist, the ball began to spin, and Time then told her that it was perfect. Angered, Space ran off into the universe and yelled back that she was going to go make her own perfection without him. She couldn’t outrun Time however, and he never got a step behind.

For millions of years, the two ran around chasing each other. Space would create beautiful arrays of spheres, which she began to call her little planets and stars, and Time wouldn’t even be a second behind; tapping on them and making them rotate and revolve. Billions of planets had been created, so much so that the universe wasn’t dark anymore. Not one corner of the canvas hadn’t been used, and finally, once she grew weary of running, Space stopped and allowed Time to come catch up to her. She asked him why he followed her for all these years, and he told her that it was simple; she gave him reason. Surprised, she asked what he meant. He told her to look around herself, and see how beautiful their entire universe had become. There were glowing planets and stars for millions of miles, each swirling around themselves, creating a gorgeous background to live in. Time told her that if she hadn’t created all those planets and stars, he would have no purpose, no reason for being; his existence would be pointless. Taking this in, as she admired the universe, she admitted that had he not worked his power, the planets would serve no purpose, they would merely be decoration.

The two beings, Time and Space, then decided that there would be no more rivalry, and that they might work together to create the most beautiful universe that they could. And for the billions of years after, and still to this day, they create and run the universe together, ruling over all properties and laws of their world. Space still loves to whip up the prettiest planets and stars, and Time still loves giving them life in making them rotate and revolve around each other. They promised to work hand in hand for the rest of eternity, running and zipping around the universe, making sure it’s a beautiful place to live for themselves, and for everyone else.

And sometimes on the darkest nights, if you look really closely, you can see the two of them shooting across the sky, watching over the most beautiful planet they ever made together.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've been watching too much science channel recently.