Sequel: After the Sun Sets

In the Night

Chapter 19

Azrael stared at the squirming bundle for quite some time, many horrendous thoughts trickling through his mind. He could end the thing's life, right then and there. It would all be over. He wouldn't have to look at the beast that took Jemma's life any longer. His fingers twitched, but he knew he couldn't harm it. He couldn't bring himself to destroy something that was half of the woman he loved.

The writhing bundle reached toward him, and Azrael scoffed at the thing's tiny fingers, his eyes glowing with contempt.

"Wretched, feeble thing..." he spat under his breath as he turned away from it, turning to head back down the hall from which he'd come.

"Sir, he needs to be taken care of," a rough, tired voice called.

Azrael stopped short, working his jaw. "Then deal with it," he muttered before proceeding down the hall.

"Azrael," the voice growled lowly, angrily. The Reaper wasn't spoken to in a such a way very often. "This is not what Jemma would've wanted, and you know it. He is your son. He needs you. He is your responsibility."

The Reaper came to a halt once more, but never turned around. A heavy, loud silence filled the air. A few heartbeats passed, before he murmured, "He is nothing to me."

Azrael's footsteps picked up once again, and he disappeared around a corner.
♠ ♠ ♠
Welllll, this is a bit more than overdue... But it's the last little bit of this story. Keep an eye out for the sequel. :D
I'm going to try my best to be more active! I have a lot of things going on, though, so bear with me!