‹ Prequel: Sunrise at Midnight
Sequel: Stranger
Status: Completed!

Dangerously Close

Female Dragons Definitely Have The Better Fierce

“If you call that a strategy, you should re-evaluate you surviving this competition,” I scoffed at Delacour, who was boasting about her plans to get past the dragon.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I had nothing against any of the champions, and unlike them, to me this wasn’t all competition and the whole hate-your-enemies kinda thing. I was just being one hundred percent, totally, whole-hearted with Fleur about how her strategics weren’t going to help her.

“Well vhat is your plan,” Krum asked, raising a brow, questioning me.

“I don’t think I’d share it with you, no offense,” I said, putting a hand over my heart.

As Cedric began talking, I turned my head to see Harry pacing around before he suddenly walked to the side of the tent’s wall. I furrowed my brows, ignoring it a bit until Hermione jumped out from the other side and a flash of light welcomed us from the entrance.

I gawked my head to the side along with everyone else to see Rita had snapped a photo of the two best friends hugging. I rolled my eyes, annoyed.

“Aww, young love! How…disgusting.”

Hermione shot her a glare, a look of disturbance floating in her expression.

“This tent is for friends and champions only,” I shot at her, crossing my arms.

“Oh, doesn’t bother! Tell you what, if anything goes unfortunate today, and you or your brother don’t make it, you’ll maybe even get the front cover of the Prophet!”

I could already feel the six of us shooting daggers with our eyes at her.

Before anyone could throw another argument at her, the three headmasters busted into the area, making us huddle around. Crouch followed behind, a brown sack in his hand.

“Alright, champions, the time has come for the first task,” Dumbledore announced to us. “You’ve waited, wondered, hoped, prayed. Upon us is the moment we’ve all been waiting for! And I hope all five of -”

He stopped mid sentence as Hermione came into view. “Miss Granger, what are you doing here?”

Hermione’s eyes widened and she shook her head. “No - erm, nothing. Just - I’ll go now. Good luck, Harry, Rose.”

And with that she left, keeping her gaze down.

“Where was I? Oh, no matter. Your objective is simple. Each of you will be given a specific dragon. This dragon has been set to guard a golden egg in its nest. It will attack you, and you must collect the egg. That simple egg is the key to the next task, which without it you will not be able to continue. Clear enough?”

Everyone nodded.

“Good, good. Barty, if you will.”

The bearded man began with Fleur. “Just reach in, don’t worry. They’re just shrunken models - they won’t bite.”

Delacour stuck her hand in before pulling out her dragon. It was only about an inch or so tall, but it moved in her hand, roaring a bit. It didn’t look very intimidating with its green color and tiny growls.

Krum was next. The one he pulled out let out flames from its snout, and flew around his palm.

“Chinese Firebolt,” Karkaroff recognized, nodding.

The Ministry man nodded. “Indeed.”

Cedric was next. As he brought his hand out of the sack, another very terrifying looking one was roaming, growling and roaring.

“Swedish Shortsnout,” Crouch informed.

Harry was next in the circle. He pulled it out and I put a hand on my mouth when I saw it.

“Hungarian Horntail,” he breathed.

Crouch nodded slightly and then turned to me.

I dug in, pulling out one identical to Krum’s, but this one looked fierce and more...girl-like.

“Ooh, a female Chinese Firebolt. A fiesty one!”

I gulped. Well shit.

Dumbledore clapped his hands. “Mr. Diggory, at the sound of the cannon, you -”

Boom!

The cannonball’s loud explosion alerted us all, and before we knew it, Cedric was walking out of the tent to his dragon. Chants could be heard, and from the small hole that was created as he walked out, I could make out banners, cheering students, and of course - Fred and George getting people to bet.

I rolled my eyes and sat down with Harry in the end of the room.

“Do you have a plan,” I asked lowly.

Harry nodded. “It’s a longshot - but I’ve been practicing with Hermione for a while now, and Moody helped me think of it.”

I grumbled. “I hate that Alastor. Have a bad feeling about him.”

He dodged my comment. “What about you?”

“Couldn’t figure out anything, so I guess I’m winging it.”

Harry’s eyes widened. “Bloody hell, no you aren’t! Why didn’t you do anything?”

“Maybe because I couldn’t find anything,” I hissed at him.

His eyes softened again and he slumped down on his chair. I gave him an apologizing look, and he just smiled.

“It’s okay to get crabby during a life-or-death situation like this.”

I nodded. “But I think I might have a few tricks up my sleeve. I don’t really care if I make it or not. As long as you do I’m fine.”

He frowned at me. “Don’t say that. You know all I want is for both of us to make it out fine, and if you keep on like that you’re not gonna get very far.”

“Like I said, I don’t need to get far,” I reminded him. I turned as another loud Boom! rumbled, and Fleur was out.

The rest of the time was spent looking at the floor or our feet as we sat patiently, anxiously, scared, worried. Time was ticking and Delacour was already done. Krum was out there now, and after the Bulgarian Quidditch player, I was next.

I was a bit frightened when I could hear the announcement that he was finished and had successfully collected his egg. I stood up slowly as the cannon sounded, my hand grasping my wand tightly. I was about to walk out when I felt a hand on my wrist. I turned around to see my brother, who just gave me a small smile.

“Good luck, Rose.”

I smiled and pulled him into a quick hug before heading out of the colored tent, taking in the view.

Surrounding me were thousands of students with banners. Some were chanting and cheering, others were just intently gazing, waiting for a good battle. I turned my head to see the way the arena was laid out. On the far, far end, was a nest with a very visible golden egg. And atop of that nest was a ferocious female creature huffing as it eyed me. Boulders and rock made up the entire scenario.

Think fast.

I tried to search for spells in my head, but the first instinct in my head was to run straight to the nest. And that’s what I did, only to be knocked back by the dragon. Everyone let out an “Oh” in harmony as I fell back, grunting.

I began backing up and pointed my wand at the dragon. “Bombarda!”

The dragon was a bit taken back at the sudden explosion and began roaring as the large bombing spell shot out from the tip of my wand and launched in attack at it.

That gave me a moment to stand up, and hide behind a rock. I could feel the heat instantly as it growled and shot fire out of its snout to the rock, failing at burning it. I crouched down a bit more to try and not feel the thermal energy from its defense.

I looked around at the fire that was close to engulfing me as it trailed its way around the rock. I pointed my wand at the ground and mumbled “Aguamenti,” letting the water cool down the area around me.

I peeked out to see the Chinese Firebolt heading back to the egg. I began silently creeping my way behind it. It seemed to sense me as it snapped its head back. Before it could react, I pointed my wand at it and yelled, “Incendio!”

As surprising as it was, considering this monster created and breathed fire, began to catch in flames and screech and roar in pain. Everyone cheered for a bit, and I took the opportunity to head to the nest. I jumped in and was about to grasp the egg, when the Incendio spell died down and the dragon began shooting flames at me once again.

I rolled off the nest, forgetting about the golden treasure.

Confundo,” I yelled, only to miss the aim and have the jet of light launch off somewhere unknown.

From the corner of my right eye, I could make out some Slytherins snickering at my little mistake. I was beginning to get a bit angered at how hard this was, and as to why I had to get a female.

If anything, this dragon was on her period.

Try petrifying it.

I scoffed to myself a bit. For some reason, I highly doubted paralyzing the dragon would work, but it was worth a try if it could possibly buy me time to catch the egg and be done with this damned task. But honestly, it was still a longshot.

For the last time, I raised my wand. I hesitated a bit, and yelled, “Petrificus Totalus!”

That’s when a large blue light shot out of my wand, hitting the Chinese Firebolt straight on the chest. It roared a bit before going completely stunned, frozen.

I stared at it for a bit as people began cheering again, but snapped out of it, heading to the nest. Both of my aching, dirty hands wrapped around the golden egg. I didn’t even take a second to look back as I ran out of the arena completely. I was bruised, and was almost limping, but I had done it.

Immediately, Madam Pomfrey began attending to my wounds. And at the sound of the cannon for one more time, I could only hope Harry’s plan would work and he would make it.
♠ ♠ ♠
And this chapter was a bit delayed, I apologize!
I honestly had no idea how to have her fight back, so I had her completely wing it. Not very professional of me, so sorry if it sucked! ♥
Thanks to my lovely commenters as always, since you guys always make my day more joyful:
the lioness
misfitchild
IWillMakeYouScream

I love you guys to the moon and back!
Next chapter will be up soon!