‹ Prequel: Sunrise at Midnight
Sequel: Stranger
Status: Completed!

Dangerously Close

Prancing and Dancing

I flicked my wand and burst out laughing as Rayne’s eyebrows turned into caterpillars. We were in Transfiguration, practicing with our partners on making these larva creatures our brows.

Rayne smirked, trying to make it funny. “Trying to wiggle my eyebrows at you right now, but I really can’t.”

I was still doubling over, clutching my stomach as I took in the sight of the slimy little things crawling on her forehead. “Ew, they’re going to go off your face!”

“Well change them back, Rose,” she urged. “I don’t want to be eyebrowless forever!”

I was still trying to recover from my fit of chuckles as I flicked the wand again and her dirty blonde brows returned in their place. She touched her face, feeling them, and sighing in relief.

“Do I get to do it to you,” she asked, smirking evilly.

I shook my head. “Nope, because class is about to end and I don’t trust you with these babies,” I pointed out, putting my hands over my brows.

Rayne giggled and then we heard McGonagall send all the Ravenclaws away.

“Gryffindors, if you’d ever so kindly follow me to the Great Hall,” she ordered, making a motion with her hands.

Everyone stood up, crowding behind as her as we began walking out in a swarm, buzzing about what we were doing. I was a bit curious to what was going on, but I was also a bit excited.

“What are we doing,” one perky, curly-haired boy asked.

“You’ll see, mister.”

The ginger twins soon joined us, also a bit suspicious to what was going on. Luckily, the walk from the courtyard to the Hall wasn’t very long. We noticed the tables were all gone, the seats lined up on both walls. In the middle there was an open clearing, and where the Professors’ table usually was sat a large record player, and Filch.

“What do you think we’re doing with that rusty old rubbish,” George asked, pointing to the music machine.

I simply shrugged. "Dunno, maybe we're going to have a jam out session to the Weird Sisters or something?"

"Is it bad I've been in the wizarding world for six years already and haven't listened to a single song of theirs," Rayne objected, chuckling.

"Yes, because they're the Beatles to us."

I watched as the twins gave me befuddled looks and I simply scoffed, shoving them playfully.

More Gryffindor students began piling in, letting the Hall become more crowded. Only fourth years and above were coming to the room, which confused me a bit.

Professor McGonagall clapped her hands, smiling a bit too gleefully. "Boys, sit on this side, girls on this side!"

Everyone obeyed orders without question, heading to their sides according to gender. Dean and Seamus, as a joke, tried to sit in the girl's section, only to be repulsively pushed away by a squealing fifth year blonde.

"Mr. Finnigan, Mr. Thomas - I don't think that's where your gender's sitting."

They laughed and headed back with the guys.

Hermione took a seat next to me, greeting me politely and smiling. I gave her a warm smile in return. I couldn't help but glance at her hands, where once again, she was holding a book. That girl never stopped studying.

"Alright, listen up, everyone!"

All eyes directed towards the Professor in the middle of the room, awaiting the announcement. All that we could hear were fuzzy sounds as Filch tried to work the record player.

"I've gathered all of you here because I have a very exciting event to announce to you all!"

Everyone kept their watch fixated on her still, waiting.

"The Yule Ball has been a tradition of the Triwizard Tournament since it's beginning. It's a very fun and important part of the competition, and brings schools together for a night of music, friendship, and so on."

I leaned over to Rayne. "What do you think she's talking about?"

"I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward, but I mean it literally. Because, the Yule Ball is first and foremost a dance."

That's when the silence amongst the students snapped.

All the girls, including me, began whispering excitedly, others squealed and jumped. The guys groaned and gave looks to each other. I rolled my eyes at them.

"Silence," the Transfiguration teacher exclaimed. "The house of Godric Gryffindor has commanded the respect of the wizarding world for centuries. I will not have you all ruin it in one day by behaving like a bunch of - babbling, bumbling band of baboons!"

I almost snorted in front of everyone when she said that, realizing how odd and hilarious it sounded.

"I expect all of you to be in your best behavior, the Ball takes place on Christmas Eve. It'll be a night to remember, indeed."

I could make out all the boys slowly slumping in their seats.

“In every lady, a lovely swan gracefully gliding, in every gentleman a lordly lion preparing to pounce.”

The room stopped when McGonagall called for Ron, making him stop his chatter with Finnigan. His head slowly turned up, his eyes suddenly flushing in worry. I smirked as he eyed the Professor in worry.

“Y-Yes, Professor?”

“Join me in a dance demonstration.”

His eyes widened and he stood up cautiously, making the embarassing walk-of-shame up to the elder lady. “Place your right hand on my waist.”

His eyes widened even more. “Wait - what?!”

I whistled and clapped as some of the boys cheered. I deviously laughed as I watched him attempt at putting his hand on her upper body instead, only to have it moved down. His fingers interwined with McGonagall’s with his free hand, and they began prancing awkwardly around to the music.

I was failing at my attempt at keeping control of my giggles. This was absolutely hilarious and there was just no way I would let him forget this.

Before we knew it, I blinked as students began standing up, walking to people and beginning to dance, copying the movements that my red-headed friend and Professor McGonagall danced to.

I stood up slowly when luckily, Fred walks up to me and bows. “May you do me an honor of having this dance?”

“But certainly,” I joked, giving him my hand. His arm snaked my waist as his other hand held mine. He began stepping around randomly, making a fool out of himself.

“Weasley, what the bloody hell are you doing,” I asked.

“Trying to be the world’s best ballerina, of course,” he teased.

I rolled my eyes, scoffing. “I would love to see you in the Ball. Who are you gonna ask?”

He blushed a bit. “Johnson, maybe.”

I gasped and smirked. “Aww, little Freddy has a crush on Angelina Johnson!”

He shushed me and I burst out laughing. “Alright, I’ll keep my mouth shut.”

He smiled. “Thank you, kind ma’am. You’re not too shabby on the dance floor.”

“Thank you, but you need to stop stepping on my foot before I become immobilized.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm actually in a hurry to post this since my friends are bugging me to go watch a scary movie and I'm trying to write the next chapter at the same time. But sorry this was late, and thank you so much to my three lovelies as always for taking the time to comment ♥ Love you lots!