‹ Prequel: Sunrise at Midnight
Sequel: Stranger
Status: Completed!

Dangerously Close

Library Fails and Group Dates

I rushed out of class, my books pressed tightly to my chest as I scurried out to the library. I bumped into a few kids on the way but didn't bother mumbling an apology even.

Despite the fact that we had been preparing constantly for the Yule Ball, or that I still hadn't even studied a fraction fot N.E.W.T.S exams, I was busy with trying to figure out the egg. Everytime I opened the egg, all that came out was an ear-splitting screech enough to make anyone deaf. It wasn't helping that there were no monsters that yelled like that and layed eggs or something along those lines. At least, I didn't know of one.

I grumbled furiously to myself, making some passing-by first years eye me as if I was mental.

“Watch where you’re going, Potter. Don’t get your grumpy ass knickers in a twist,” Moreno snickered as she bumped into my shoulder, making my books topple to the floor.

I shot a glare at her back as she walked away. I pulled out my wand and mumbled a tiny hex to swipe her off her feet. She screamed as she was swept up and landed on her butt. I chuckled and put my wand away, picking up my textbooks.

I continued my journey through the castle until I found my way into the room full of books. I made my way over to Madam Pince.

“Do you happen to know if there’s any books about creatures that wail like babies and have something to do with golden eggs or whatever,” I asked desperately.

She shook her head, eyeing me in a baffled way. “I don’t know of any, but you can try these.” With that, a quill floated into her hands and she began scribbling something on a piece of parchment, handing it to me.

I nodded, thanking her as I began walking towards the bookshelves. I looked down at the paper. The librarian had written down two books. The Monster Book of Monsters, and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

I grumbled, crumpling the paper up and throwing it on the ground. I stared at it furiously, stepping on it once before giving up. I had already tried both of those books and had found absolutely nothing that related to what I could tell from the egg.

“This is no use,” I mumbled hopelessly as I slumped down onto one of the chairs. I eyed the dark wooden table blankly, not knowing what to do now.

I began tracing my finger over the wood, making circles and different patterns as I thought to myself. What could possibly relate to what I had heard? Did the egg even have anything to do with it? I was slowly starting to worry I wouldn’t figure it out. And if I didn’t figure it out, not just me - but Harry as well, would be absolutely fucked.

I groaned before kicking the leg of the table and grabbing the three books, storming out of the library. I kept my gaze on the ground as I made my way through, heading back to the common room.

The only upside to being a champion was getting out of homework. I either got little to no work in my classes, which made my day slightly merrier. But unfortunately, Snape still existed, and even if we - slightly - get along in a way, he still pushes piles of essays onto my face for me to do as if I had the time.

I secretly blessed the heavens everyday I didn’t have Potions.

I was about to say the password to the Fat Lady when Hermione came bustling behind me, almost toppling me over.

“Rosalie!”

I tripped on my own foot, almost falling back before she caught me. I moaned. “‘Mione, watch where you’re going.”

“I have something to ask you,” she urged.

I raised a brow. “And that would be?’

She looked around and said the password quickly, yanking my arm and dragging me inside. Harry and Ron were sitting on the couch. They both waved at me and I was about to wave back and say hi only to be yanked up the stairs to the girls dorm, making me yell “Ow!”

After bringing me in she threw me on the bed, and I sat down on the mattress with a large squeak from the bed. She sat down eagerly on the other bed, even if it wasn’t hers. In fact, I don’t think me or her had a clue who slept in it.

“So, do you have a date to the Yule Ball yet?”

Her tone seemed very excited and anxious. Curiosity washed over me.

“Erm, no. Why?”

“Well, do you plan on getting asked by anyone or asking someone yourself,” she asked again.

“I was hoping that Ce- never mind,” I mumbled, my cheeks becoming a deep red shade.

“Cedric,” she gasped, smiling a bit at my obvious admittance.

I rolled my eyes, flushing even more. “Just ask me the goddamn question.”

“So, I have a date,” she whispered slightly, twirling her hair nervously.

My eyes shot wide open and I squealed, clapping my hands. “Oh, bloody hell yeah, girl! Tell me, who is it?”

She blushed. “You won’t believe me.”

I nodded. “Tell me, please! I promise I will.”

“Viktor Krum asked me out,” Hermione quietly said.

I stared at her blankly. Is she serious?

"You're kidding," I gaped. "That's unexpected, but awesome!"

She giggled. "I didn't see it coming, either."

"'Mione, he stares at you a lot. And I'm sure so many girls would kill to be in your position right now!"

She smiled. "Moving on to the question. Viktor has a friend of his that was going to group with him for the ball, so Krum told me to ask you if maybe you wanted to go with him?"

I shrugged slightly. "I dunno. Have I seen him before?"

Hermione nodded. "You have seen him. He was the first one to walk in when the Durmstrang boys made their grand entrance."

I tapped on my chin, trying to recall. When the memory of the night at the Great Hall flooded back, I could thankfully remember him slightly. I snapped my finger. "I remember now!"

She nodded, chuckling. "Will you?"

I nodded. "Sure. I don't think apart from - you know - I was going with someone."

She squealed and jumped up, hugging me. "We're gonna have so much fun, Rose! Thank you!"

I pat her back slowly. "You're welcome, Hermione. Do Harry and Ron know?"

She shook her head, beginning to bite her lip. "I rather not tell them. Ron can be a little -"

"Bitchy? I know. He's like a girl on their period."

Her eyes widened at my word choice bit Hermione burst out laughing, taking it a bit lighter than I expected.

Maybe, possibly, it would be a fun night at the Yule Ball.
♠ ♠ ♠
And I updated quicker! It's a filler, but it counts. Do I get a cookie? No? Okay.
Thanks to fallen_angel94, the lioness, misfitchild, IWillMakeYouScream, and forbiddensecrets for commenting! You have no idea how much comments brighten my day!
Yule Ball is coming soon, Second Task and no luck on the egg, ooh, there's a lot coming! I hope you're all as excited as I am!