‹ Prequel: Sunrise at Midnight
Sequel: Stranger
Status: Completed!

Dangerously Close

Words on Paper

I stared around my surroundings, taking them in. I took deep breaths, relieved that it was over. It was all a dream. A horrible dream.

One that you’ve dreamt more than once, my subsconscious pointed out.

I shook my head and turned to Harry's bed on the other side of the room. He had just woken up abruptly, clutching the scar on his forehead in pain. His eyes were scrunched together as he tried to ignore the pain. He reached over to the nighttable and popped on his glasses. His bright green eyes made eye contact with me and he let out a sigh.

"Bad dream," he asked.

I nodded, putting my head inbetween my knees. "Again."

I could hear his bed creak and footsteps walking towarda me. I looked down at my brother, who kneeled down on the side of my bed. He had grown a lot since his first year. He was now about an inch taller than I was, and his hair had grown out a bit longer.

"You haven't had a vision about any of this, have you," Harry asked.

I shook my head. "No, I haven't. But I don't get it - by this time I should have seen something, anything, on this. On the old man, Frank Bryce, on the Riddle House, Voldemort..."

We both cringed a bit at the mention of the dream again.

The only difference between our dreams was Harry's dreams didn't recall events from the past. He saw everything, while mine would split the dream into fragments and throw in a bad memory to torture me.

We stayed in silence for a moment exactly how we were. Me staring at the wall as I huddled my knees close to my chest, and Harry knelt on the floor next to my bed.

"What did you relive this time," he asked, his eyes full of concern.

I shifted my attention to the floor, thinking if I should answer. The one thing about my brother that had seemed to grow every year was his concern for me. I may have been always protective towards him and concerned, but he always showed care for me even if it was as simple as me falling on the road and scraping my knee.

"Your Sorting, the day we were in the Chamber of Secrets and we saw Tom Riddle, and-"

I bit my lip and he sighed.

"The night," Harry finished, knowing exactly what I meant.

I nodded and sighed. "The night."

"Sorry for asking," he apologized.

I rolled my eyes and chuckled. "Harry you don't have to apologize for your curiousity. I would have done the same, anyways."

He chuckled, glad that finally we were able to lighten the mood. "I know, because you're just curious about everything."

I nodded. "That's me."

We heard a loud "BANG" from the wall next door.

"Keep your bloody voices down," our obnoxious cousin, Dudley, bellowed.

We both began snickering and I put a finger to my lips. When we could hear him snoring again, we continued our conversation.

After talking for a bit, a pecking noise could be heard from the window. I groaned and got up from the bed, opening it up to reveal Rayne's black owl, Midnight. A letter was placed inbetween her beak, which I assumed immediately was for me.

I opened up Addie's cage and let the owl hop in to get food. Addie hooted happily at the fact of having company, but immediately began to peck at Midnight when she stole from her food.

Harry sat next to me on the bed, leaning over my shoulder to read the letter as I opened it. The envelope said Rosalie on the front, in Rayne's rather sloppy handwriting.

I grabbed the piece of parchment inside and folded it open, reading over it.

Hi Rosalie.

God, you have no idea how boring this summer has been without you, like always! It's just been uneventful in general.

Have you heard from Sirius? I know he has to hide from so many people and the Ministry to prevent being returned to Azkaban, but it only makes sense he'd write to you. He is yours and Harry's godfather after all.

Have you heard about the Quidditch World Cup yet? Bulgaria vs. Ireland, definitely something I wouldn't wanna miss. But I guess I have to hear about it from Fred and George. Arthur is taking the kids to the match. I suddenly wish I was a Weasley!

I hope to hear from you soon, I don't wanna wait until the Hogwarts Express to have to speak to you again, so write soon!

Oh, and tell your brother I say hi!

Sincerely, Rayne.

P.S: Happy late birthday!


I smiled at the letter and folded it closed, sitting it on the nighttable.

"Rayne says hi," I told my brother.

The corners of his lips curved upwards into a smile.

"She also suggests we should write to Sirius, she says it's only fair we keep contact with him."

Harry sighed. "I know."

"We should tell him about the dream. Harry, we can trust him."

He nodded and once again, said, "I know."

I stood up and walked to my trunk, pulling out a piece of parchment and a pen. I shoved it into his hands.

"If you know, then why don't you write to him?"

He chuckled. "You're so bossy."

I stuck my tongue out at him and pulled on the window curtain a little more, allowing the 7 o'clock rising sun to brighten the room.

I retrieved some more parchment and a quill with some ink and sat down, writing back to Rayne. I didn't tell her anything about the weird dreams, but I was sure to tell her how uneventful my summer had been, as well as a thank you for the suggestion and the birthday wish, even though it was a bit belated.

After finishing up the letter, I rolled it up and tied it. I opened Addie's cage and watched as she began hooting excitedly again. But as she saw me give the letter to Midnight to deliver, she grew annoyed. I laugh at her conceited attitude and opened the window.

"Deliver that back to Rayne," I told the black owl. It flew away immediately.

I closed the window and sat down on the bed, eyeing Harry who was now sending Hedwig off with Sirius's letter. Addie was upset that every owl had gotten to deliver something but her.

"You two," the loud voice of Uncle Vernon grumbled from downstairs. "Get your arses down here right now for breakfast or else!"

I groaned sarcastically. "I guess we better go then, because he's totally going to beat us when we have wands."

Harry rolled his eyes at my remark and laughed with me as we walked out our shared room and down the stairs.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry if this was short and boring, it's a bit of a filler. But on the bright side, the Weasleys come in next chapter!
The reason I'm updating so frequently is that I have testing week starting the 13th and it'll last for about a week and a half or two weeks and I probably won't be able to update at all during that time - at most two or three times.
Thanks as always to my lovely commenters; queen elsa., lovelessbird, kidagakash., IWillMakeYouScream, and forbiddensecrets! I'm glad you all liked the Prologue and are excited for more!