‹ Prequel: Sunrise at Midnight
Sequel: Stranger
Status: Completed!

Dangerously Close

The Treasures of the Black Lake

I walked slowly and quietly next to Harry and Neville, who were conversing about the plan. I seemed to slightly kick my feet with each step I took as I headed towards the boats that’d take us to where we’d be diving in.

Despite the comforting feeling of support, I was still scared and had barely managed to sleep three hours last night. But even if, I wasn’t tired. I was stressed, worried, and honestly anxious to get it all over with. Luckily, Neville had knocked a ton of hope into us. I was determined to get this done, and I could tell my brother was too. Sadly, even that feeling couldn’t overrun the tiny, lingering fright.

“So, Neville, you’re sure this is going to keep us underwater,” I asked.

He nodded.

“For a full hour,” Harry questioned next.

Once again, he nodded. “Most likely.”

“Most likely?”

He bit his lip. “Well, there is some debate between herbologists on the effects of gillyweed with freshwater versus saltwater.”

“You’re telling us this now,” I exclaimed.

He frowned slightly, making me regret raising my voice. “I just wanted to help.”

I mumbled an apology and he gave me a small smile in return. My brother grumbled. “Well, it still makes you a right lot better than Ron and Hermione. Where are they, anyways? They said they would be here.”

“Maybe they got held up,” I assured him, keeping my face straight and my gaze on the floor.

Neville furrowed his brows. “You seem a little tense, Harry.”

“Do I?”

“I didn’t even realize,” I sarcastically answered in a hushed voice.

We hopped onto the boat, waiting quietly to arrive at the dock we’d be jumping into the Black Lake from. I unclenched my fist, revealing the slimy looking plant that Neville had handed me. I eyed it in wonder. Would it even work? Second thoughts clouded my mind, and at this point I was worrying we weren’t going to be able to make it.

Shut up, Rosalie. You and Harry can do this. It’ll work out.

A familiar pain hit my head once more and I doubled over, placing both hands on my forehead as I prepared for the sight to fill my vision.

A sound wooshed by, followed by the same one again. A tail was visible moving up and down as it swam to the bottom of the Lake, swooping by plant life and taking turns. Soon, shadows were beginning to show up. Five, to be exact. As the creatures got closer and closer to the figures, the five treasures grew into view.

My eyes snapped open as I rubbed my temple. The pain vanished quicker than it appeared, and I sat up. When I looked around, I noticed we were getting down. Harry turned to me. “You good?”

I gave him a reassuring nod. As I climbed out of the small boat, new things filled my mind. This was the second vision I’d had about the Second Task. Where were these visions before? Why were they coming now? What I just saw, is that where I should head?

Trudging up, I tried to keep my mind off everything for the time being. I wouldn’t have to worry until I was jumping into the black waters.

I stripped out of the tracksuit I was wearing, letting the one-piece red bathing suit similar to Fleur’s be revealed. The back spelled out in bold, golden letters my last name. I walked slowly over to where the four champions were waiting, taking my spot in between my brother and Krum. We were surrounded by people as Dumbledore began speaking.

Harry pat my back and gestured to the gillyweed before shoving it in his mouth. I nodded and stuck it in my mouth. As soon as I took the first chew, I almost gagged of the horrible taste. I shook it off, ignoring it as I waited for the sound of the cannon.

A few seconds later, I began clutching my throat. I could feel my body undergoing a painful change. I gasped for air. As soon as the cannon sounded, I found myself struggling to jump, only to continue grumbling in pain as I tripped over my own foot and fell inside the dark lake.

I heard another splash from under the water as I wiggled my legs and tried screaming as I choked on the water. I figured my brother had just joined me. I was about to give up, when suddenly the hurt had disappeared.

I removed my hands from the sides of my neck, where I could feel two bumps that weren’t there before. I outstretched my hands, which were webbed. Where my feet were before, there were fins.

In other words, the gillyweed turned me into a fish.

I looked over to Harry who stopped writhing as well, finally finishing the change. He took a moment to examine his new form before looking at me. I nodded, giving him a thumbs up as he jumped up from the surface and dived right back down. From there, we parted ways as we began our search for our treasure.

As I swam downwards, I tried to look for the familiar surroundings of the vision from minutes before, trusting that as my guide. I had no idea if it would help, but it was my only plan at this point.

I made it to the bottom, where the tall, grass-like plants were swaying side to side softly. I recognized them immediately and pushed myself towards them. Before I knew it, I saw a merperson rush by somewhere far, and in mere moments I could hear someone being pulled out of the water.

I heaved out a sigh, bubbles coming out around me. I kicked my feet, entering the green swarm. It was hard to see, but I was positive that I saw something swoop by in front of me.

I tried to go as quickly as I could, passing the plant life as a deeper section appeared. Just like my Seer-moment, the merpeople were swimming around this area, around the five figures. I squinted my eyes, swimming closer.

This time, the people came into view. I could see a little girl with long, blonde hair. Her features resembled those of Fleur. Ron was the next one, and I could already guess who he belonged to. Hermione was next to him, her face seeming more peaceful than the others. Rayne was next to her, and I knew immediately she was my treasure. I scoffed at Cho’s body next to hers, trying my best to ignore it.

I began heading towards my friend who stood on the right, her legs tied up together. Cedric swooped in next to me, fiddling with the rope around the Ravenclaw’s ankles. He turned his head to me and I turned to face him as well. He had a white net-looking mask covering half his face. He gave me a thumbs up and I smiled at him. With that, he disappeared up with his treasure.

I fumbled with the knot as I tried to get it undone. It loosened up, allowing me to set my friend free. I had no idea what to do, but I immediately looked next to me where Hermione was being pulled off by a shark-like Krum, and Harry was helping Fleur's.

"Harry," I hissed. "What are you doing?"

"I'm saving Ron and this girl, Fleur isn't here yet and time is almost up," he spoke, his words barely audible underwater.

I shook my head. "Do you want to get killed?"

A mer-creature began swimming my way as I grabbed Rayne's arm and yanked her towards Harry to help him as he grabbed Ron

It made a sound an angry sound at us. "But he's my friend too," my brother defended.

"Only one," its raspy, evil voice said.

When they began heading to attack us, I reached for my blonde friend again, wrapping an arm around her shoulder. The same hand grasped Harry's hair, trying to pull him to me as I pointed my wand at my body and yelled "Ascendio!"

Unfortunately, Harry was wriggled out of.my grasp by the merpeople as he tried to free from their grasp. I shrieked but could only continue heading up. I kept my gaze down and watched as Ron and the little girl's bodies floated up.

But then, my body started deforming back.

I was in more pain as the gills and fins disappeared, but before I knew it, my human self had returned and was up in the surface gasping for air. A simple two seconds after, Krum and Hermione were above the water as well.

I turned to Rayne as she coughed, swimming towards the docks. I panicked, looking down. "He's still down there," I yelled to her.

"He'll make it in time, I know your brother. He's clever and brave," Rayne exclaimed as she climbed the ladder and was handed a towel. She was shivering as she rubbed her arms.

Ginger and blonde heads popped out, gasping for air. Ron began helping the little girl over to me, where Fleur was surprisingly and happily awaiting her. I climbed up, grabbing the towel. It was then I noticed the lack of body heat and began trembling.

I bit my lip, watching the waters intently. Rayne walked over to my side.

"Thanks for saving me," she mumbled. "I didn't even know this would be happening."

"I-It's alright," I said, teeth chattering from the wind making contact with my skin and the fear.

Right at that moment, a familiar raven-headed boy emerged from the Lake, gagging as he tried to get oxygen in his lungs. I stood up immediately in relief, waiting for him to swim over to where I was. The clock chimed, announcing the hour was up. All the champions were here, as were all the treasures.

My brother climbed up the steps, and the first thing I did was pull him into a hug. “Oh God, Harry! You scared the bloody hell out of me!”

He sighed. “I’m okay, Rose.”

“Harry, are you sure? I saw the merpeople attacking you and I tried to grab you but -”

He nodded. “It’s good. I’m fine, and I’m alive.”

Fleur ran over to our side, her face full of gratitude. “You saved ‘er, even though she vasn’t yours to save! You save my little sister. Thank you,” she babbled in her charming accent as she kissed the sides of his face. Harry tensed up, feeling awkward. His cheeks were a slight red, which made me wonder if it was from the coldness, or he was blushing.

She began thanking Ron as well, kissing his face too. His ears turned a deep scarlet as he played it off cooly.

When Dumbledore stood up to the platform to speak, silencing everyone who was excitedly chatting, I was beginning to realize that our survival was possible. We could make it through this, even if we didn’t win. That was all that mattered.

The results astonished us as Cedric came in first, and Harry by vote of the judges in second. I was third, while Krum was fourth and Fleur was in last place.

Who knew, maybe we would win.
♠ ♠ ♠
I dunno I really like how this turned out but I'll leave that up to everyone to decide.
Thanks as always to the lioness and misfitchild for your comments. I love you to the moon and back ♥
Next update should come up soon, hopefully before Tuesday!