‹ Prequel: Sunrise at Midnight
Sequel: Stranger
Status: Completed!

Dangerously Close

Grief and Answers

“Oh wow, you actually came to the memorial,” Harry mumbled as I walked into the Great Hall silently.

I nodded before looking up and around the large room. The enchanted ceiling of the sky seemed duller. The lights were all lit, but the gloominess still showed. Grey Hufflepuff banners clung onto the top, swinging down with slow, swaying movements. All the tables were gone, even the Professors’ table. At the moment, everyone from Hogwarts and the other schools were crowded around. The students either conversed in low voices, mourned, or embraced. I didn’t know what to do.

“Yeah, I’m surprised too,” I admitted. “Even after our arguing, I wasn’t sure I could or would make it.”

He sighed before his eyes diverted to my neck. A new bandage had been placed there by Madam Pomfrey under my request. I didn’t want anyone to see or know about it just yet, and the last thing I needed was to draw attention - especially not today. “What’s that for?”

I placed my hand over the fluffy cotton, letting my fingers slowly trace it. I tried my hardest not to stammer as I spoke. “Oh, nothing. Just following Madam Pomfrey’s orders. Erm, she said I might need it so the wound doesn’t open up.”

I didn’t know for how long I would hide it from him, I couldn’t do it for too long. In all honesty, I was scared to tell my brother. “Hey, you know how I got hit with a spell and almost died? Turns out it was the Killing Curse and I somehow survived even though I’m supposed to be dead, and now I’m forever marked with your same scar, hurrah!”

Wasn’t exactly the best explanation.

I wanted to at least figure out what happened in the graveyard, how I’m alive, and why I have the mark. Then I’d tell him.

Rayne walked up from behind me, frowning as her hand planted on top of my shoulder. “Are you okay?”

I turned to Harry, and he just gave me a small smile and nod before walking away. My lips slightly twitched downwards as I turned back to my best friend and nodded.

“Yeah, I’m just - I’m afraid I won’t be able to stay strong for Cedric.”

She gave me a small and encouraging smile. “You have no idea how much - right now, wherever in the stars or heavens he is - he feels he could be with you. I bet he’s goddamn proud to watch over you and boast to all the angels about how such a wonderful girl liked him, and how he liked you back.”

I looked to the ground, blinking quickly to stop the liquid forming. No, no. You won’t cry.

I couldn’t deny this would be impossible. If here Rayne was, almost making me tear up, how hard would it be to not burst in the middle of the ceremony?

I hugged her, touched by the fact she would say that, and deep in my heart, I knew it was true.

“You have no idea how much I appreciate to have you in my life, Rayne,” I shakily said, my lower lip trembling slightly from my almost-break-out.

She smiled, rubbing soothing circles on my back. “I’m always here for you, Rose.”

I pulled away, sniffling. “I know. And that’s why I absolutely adore you.”

“Nice bandage, Potter,” Moreno sneered as she walked by, followed by Millicent Bulstrode and Pansy Parkinson, who were snickering. I scoffed, not feeling like dealing with them.

“Come on, they’re not worth it,” the blonde girl remarked, beginning to walk towards a spot in one of the rows of the swarm, next to my brother. They were all now lined up perfectly, looking up at Dumbledore, who had just stepped in quietly to the scene and sat on his chair, rubbing his temple. He seemed distressed and sad, like many of us.

He sighed, before looking around at everyone, who were bowing their heads down, allowing a moment of silence to be shared for the fallen boy. I couldn’t figure out what it was that made me want to run out of here. Many of these students didn’t even care about him, yet here most of them were showing fake sympathy.

Or maybe I was being consumed with the fear of failing to remain strong.

Dumbledore finally spoke, making me snap out of my thoughts. “Today, we acknowledge a terrible, terrible loss. Cedric Diggory was a wonderful and charming boy, as you all know. He was exceptionally hardworking, kind, fair-minded, but most important, a fierce friend.”

For a few seconds, there was silence. I could feel Harry’s body tense up against me, and I had to try really hard at this point to prevent the forming salty tears. Cho, who wasn’t too far to the front from where I stood, was being hugged by her friends as she sobbed into a paper napkin, dabbing at her eyes. It took me everything to not bubble in anger.

“Because of this, you all have every right to know how mister Diggory passed away. The Ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell you this. But it would be unjust and an insult to his resting soul and memory if I didn’t.”

I could see Hermione closing her eyes, as she looked down to the floor. Hot tears streamed down my eyes as I curled my lips, keeping my eyes locked on the floor. Harry gave my hand a soft squeeze, attempting to comfort me. I could see his bright eyes watering up as well.

“Cedric Diggory was murdered. By Lord Voldemort himself.”

I was heavily breathing at this point, my chest heaving up and down in an irregular pattern. I closed my eyes shut, trying to avoid the pain surging through me.

“The pain that we feel reminds us that even though we may come from different places, or speak in different tongues, perhaps not practice the same traditions; our hearts beat as one. In enlight to the recent events, the new bonds and friendships we’ve formed this year will be more important than ever.”

Harry looked at me, his lower lip quivering as he also slightly shook, taking deep breaths. He wrapped an arm around my shoulder, pulling me into a consoling embrace.

“If we remember this, his death will not be in vain. Today, we celebrate a boy who was generous, kind, had a right to liberty…”

Image

It was late at night, around an hour past curfew. I knew I had to be absolutely quiet and hopeful to not get caught by a prefect, or worse, Professor. But I needed answers.

Plus, it was end of term. They couldn’t do anything, right?

I sprinted quickly on my bare feet down the hallways of the castle, finding my way to the familiar Gargoyle. I cursed silently as I realized I had completely forgotten the password to enter, despite the fact I had been here a few times already this year.

“Erm, lemon drops.”

Nothing happened.

“Blood Pops.”

The gargoyle didn’t even budge.

“Peppermint Toads?”

I sighed when it remained still.

I tried to think back to any candies I had recently seen in Dumbledore’s office. I could only recall one, but I wasn’t too sure if it’d work.

“Cockroach Cluster..?”

The statue finally turned slowly, revealing stairs. I sighed in relief, before slowly climbing up, up, and up. I tried running through my mind what I would tell Dumbledore - how I would explain, what I would ask.

I finally reached the door, stopping in front of it. I took a deep breath before simply knocking, praying he was in his office and not outside.

A smart choice on my part would have been to have the Marauder’s Map with me to check, but it was in Harry’s room in the boys dorm, which I didn’t feel like going in to retrieve. I was following my instinct and just hoping for the best.

A surge of luck flooded me as I heard the Headmaster’s soft voice from the other side. “Come in.”

I slowly creaked the door open, taking slow steps inside as if the floor would crumble under my feet if I walked too quickly. I could make out Dumbledore sitting behind his desk, looking up from a book as he adjusted his half-moon spectacles. He seemed surprised to see me, but nonetheless welcoming.

I cautiously trudged towards him. “Professor, I’m really sorry to bother. But you know I wouldn’t waste your time if it wasn’t important.”

He smiled. “No worries, I’m always here to help. Though I can’t help but wonder why you’re out of bed past curfew.”

I thanked him in a low voice, then leading to my excuse. “I’m afraid I can’t wait any longer, sir. I do apologize.”

Dumbledore nodded, intertwining his two hands together, giving his full concentration to me. An awkward silence filled the room, when I realized he was waiting for me to speak up.

Even though I had fully rehearsed my words over and over again on my way here in my head, they seemed to slip away now. I remained clueless on how to begin, so I did the only thing I could.

I found my fingers reaching for the crook of my neck as I fumbled to remove the bandage from it, not sure how he would react. I allowed it to fall before pulling my hair back, giving him a clear view of my lightning bolt scar.

I could make out his eyes slightly widen from the corner of my eye as he stood up, walking towards me to inspect it.

“How did this happen,” he asked, his tone still remaining calm.

“Sir, I-I don’t know,” I confessed as my lip quivered. “I was in the graveyard, and I got hit by a spell, but how - how am I alive?”

“Do you know what spell it was?”

“I think it was the Killing Curse, I’m not sure.”

He let out a sigh, rubbing his hand on his forehead as he allowed himself to deeply think for a moment.

“I tried thinking of the possibilities of this before, but, how can it be?”

I looked at him with furrowed brows. “What is it, Professor?”

Dumbledore looked me right in the eyes, speaking in a serious tone. “Rosalie, when your parents died in the hands of Voldemort, there is a possibility your mother passed that protection to you.”

My breathing hitched. “What?”

“Your brother has a protection around him. It will guard him from all evil until he turns seventeen, of age, or if he leaves his current home forever. Those two will break the bond instantly, but, I don’t understand.”

“I know that, Voldemort spoke of that in the graveyard,” I mumbled. “But, I can’t possibly have it - I mean, I wasn’t with my mum -”

“It does not matter,” he spoke. “Your mother still loved you deeply, and cared for you. Something nothing could change. She cared for you and Harry so much and was willing to sacrifice her own precious life to keep you two safe. That’s what started the bond. I just wish we would have found this out sooner.”

“I do too, I turn seventeen in June, that’s so close already,” I complained.

“The bond will still be with you, but that scar won’t go away. The same applies to your brother.”

I heaved out a sigh. “Why is this happening? Why does this happen? To me and Harry? Why couldn’t it be someone else?”

The Headmaster put a comforting hand on my shoulder. “Rosalie, now it seems difficult. I cannot promise you that it won’t get worse, but I can tell you this. These hard times are going to go away, and you’re going to be able to save this whole wizarding world from Lord Voldemort and the lives of all these innocent witches and wizards alongside your brother.”

“But what if I’m not strong enough,” I croaked. “I can’t even go through a memorial without crying.”

“You were placed under the Gryffindor house for a reason. You are brave and courageous, and you have a grand heart to do all these things. There is no doubt in my mind that Riddle will not try to bring you down and stop you. There’s no doubt he will continuously attempt to recruit you, hurt you, and even murder you. But you can handle it, and even the Sorting Hat can tell. We all see it in you.”

“It’s not as easy as it seems, Professor Dumbledore.”

“You just have to trust in yourself,” he advised. “When something bad happens to you, you’re given three choices. You can either let it define you, let it destroy you, or let it strengthen you.”

I could see where he was coming from, but I still wasn’t sure. Now that I understood, I wasn’t sure I needed anything else, even though I still had the slight depressive feeling lingering inside me.

Now, I just had to fight it.

Image

As I slowly walked outside of Dumbledore's tower, I couldn't help my wandering self. I found myself in the courtyard, sitting down on a bench as I gazed around the dark and empty area. I wasn't sure what to do now, and I didn't feel like thinking anymore.

I was still trying to get over Cedric's death.

I kept running Rayne's words through my mind, letting them soothe me. You have no idea how much - right now, wherever in the stars or heavens he is - he feels he could be with you.

I sighed, looking up from the grass and around the area again. I scanned it carefully, when suddenly, I could see a figure. It seemed so life-like, as it stood on the other side of the courtyard, sitting on a bench while smiling at me.

Something about what I was seeing looked so familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on it standing so far away. I stood up, taking slow steps towards them. My breathing stopped, as did everything in my body, as I took in the honey-colored hair and kind eyes. The black and yellow robes and pearly white teeth which never seemed to stop shining.

"Cedric," I asked, stuttering.

He nodded. "Hi Rosalie."

I stared at him, not believing this. I was hallucinating. This was a dream. He died. And right before my eyes.

I outstretched my hand to touch him, to see he was real. I was afraid to let my hand make contact with him, afraid he would disappear before me in an instant. But it didn't happen as I felt a warm hand hold mine and move it towards his cheek.

I gaped, not sure what to do.

"A-Are you..?"

He shook his head.

"I'm a hallucination, but I'm merely visiting you in a vision."

My shoulders slumped, and I felt depressed. As real as it seemed, of course it couldn't be.

I took the seat next to him, letting my forehead meet with his, our noses brushing slightly.

"Rose," he breathed.

"I miss you so much, Cedric," I cried. "Why did you have to leave?"

"I'm still here, always," he promised, placing his hand over my heart to make his point.

I smiled and let my lips slowly meet his. I could feel them, it was real. This time, it was real. I had kissed him back, and he had kissed me. It was soft, passionate, but at the same time, had a twinge of sadness.

When I pulled away, he was gone, and I was staring at nothing. Just the castle walls, the bench, and the grass.

I let out a sigh, deciding to go back to the common room. Something about that moment warmed my heart, and I suddenly felt slightly less empty.

I looked up to the sky, to see the stars. There were a multitude of them as usual, but one stood out apart from all, twinkling brightest. It seemed so unreal and perfect.

Tears formed in my eyes, and I didn't blink them away. I let them fall. "I miss you too, Cedric. I always will."
♠ ♠ ♠
I honestly deserve to be ambushed because I keep telling you guys I will update quicker but my bloody laptop keeps failing me and then it doesn't work!
BUT I FIXED IT I FOUND THE 70,000 PROBLEMS IT HAD SO IT'S ALL GOOD.
I think.
Thanks to my commenters as always:
ashleyliz_x
the lioness
misfitchild
I LOVE YOU ALL TO THE MOON AND BACK ♥
THE NEXT CHAPTER IS THE LAST FUCKING CHAPTER SO THE AUTHOR'S NOTE WILL BE LONG AND I'LL PROBABLY CRY BECAUSE BOOK 5 IS MY SECOND FAVORITE BOOK AND IT'S THE ONE WITH THE MOST FUCKING SURPRISES IN THE WHOLE FUCKING SERIES AND ALL OF YOU WILL BE LIKE WHAT THE FUCK AND I'M JUST SO DONE FUCK FUCK FUCK