‹ Prequel: Sunrise at Midnight
Sequel: Stranger
Status: Completed!

Dangerously Close

Foreign Visitors Arrive

I groaned. “Rayne, I told you possibly everything I could tell you about what happened at the World Cup. What else could you possibly want to know?”

“I’m just curious,” she blandly stated with a shrug. “It’s the big talk right now because of what happened, and you were there in person - it’s only natural I get to know what went on.”

I rolled my eyes. “Of course it is.”

We continued to walk past the gates and down the grounds and into the massive castle. I smiled widely, letting the familiar scent and sight take in. It had seemed like an eternity since I had stepped foot inside Hogwarts, the only place I truly considered home.

I felt someone running behind me and immediately push my shoulder. I turned to see it was Cedric. He was running with a group of his friends to the courtyard ahead. He turned around, walking backwards, realizing he had bumped into me.

“Sorry, Potter,” he exclaimed before waving and turning back around to head with his friends. I blushed madly, causing Rayne to grin.

She began to poke my ribcage, causing me to jump a bit. “You never told me you and Diggory, the Hufflepuff, Quidditch captain, were fucking.”

I swatted her arm, blushing an even redder shade than before.

“Do you think your brother’s gonna be happy you’re meddling with the competing team,” she asked, making a “tsk” sound disapprovingly before bursting out into laughter.

I laughed with her as we reached the courtyard. Suddenly, we realized that now everyone was running to the Courtyard and peering over the bars out to the lake. I furrowed my brows and looked to Rayne who just shrugged.

I sprinted over to the large crowd and squirmed my way through to where Harry, Ron, and Hermione were.

“What’s going on,” I asked.

They pointed out the bars to where now what everyone was gawking at was visible. A large carriage being pulled by several white pegasi was now visible. I gasped in awe at how pretty it looked, but then my attention immediately darted from the flying cart that almost ran over Hagrid to the black waters where a crow’s nest of a ship was visible.

Everyone pointed to the pirate-like pole and the man with the telescope as it began to rise up, revealing a large ship. Gasps and murmurs were shared all around.

“Bloody hell,” Ron mumbled.

“Isn’t that the Durmstrang crest,” I asked, pointing to the gigantic sails that were holding the ship up and letting it travel the waters.

Hermione nodded. “I think so. If not, it sure looks similar to it.”

Before we knew it, McGonagall’s loud voice was heard throughout the excited crowd. “Everyone stop peering out the window and head to the Great Hall for the Beginning of Term feast,” she demanded, causing everyone to obey and walk away.

As I passed by her I greeted her. “Hello, Professor.”

“Hello, miss Potter,” she greeted kindly.

I continued through the large double doors and into the Great Hall, where the students were now rambling with excitement as they took their seats. As usual, Dumbledore and the other Professors were seated at the end of the room in a long table with Dumbledore in his large throne. The Defense Against the Dark Arts seat was empty. I immediately spotted two new seats that were not there before.

I jumped to the conclusion that this was for someone that had to do with the flying carriage and boat that were outside. I took a seat and as if it wasn’t on cue, I could feel the same black cold eyes piercing a hole in my back. I turned around to surely see Snape, who - clearly amused by my annoyance - smirked. I rolled my eyes and mumbled under my breath, “Git.”

The seats next to me was immediately occupied by none other than the two gingers with long hair. They both slung an arm over my shoulder.

“Hello, Rose,” they both chirped at the same time.

I raised my arms and slapped both of their arms. They released their arms from my shoulders and rubbed at where I hit them, laughing.

“What was that for,” Fred asked.

“It’s obnoxious when you two talk at the same time,” I exclaimed, giggling.

“We’re twins,” he pointed out.

George nodded. “It’s what we do.”

I scoffed and then turned to the phoenix podium in front of the Professor’s table, where Dumbledore now stood with a chalice and spoon in his hand. He hit the chalice with it, sending a ringing sound throughout the Hall which caught everyone’s attention.

Words didn’t need to be said, as we all knew what was about to happen while McGonagall walked to the front with a scroll and hat in her hand, followed by a group of fidgeting first years waiting to be Sorted. I grumbled and put a hand under my chin, resting my head on it while I droned out the nervous eleven year olds.

The Sorting fortunately passed by rather quickly, and before we knew it Dumbledore was speaking.

“Settle down, everyone. Now that we’re all sorted, I have an announcement to make. This castle will not only be your home this year, but also the home of some special guests as well.”

Everyone began whispering in excitement.

“Special guests,” Neville curiously wondered aloud, turning his direction towards us. I shrugged and waited for Dumbledore to continue.

“Hogwarts has been chosen to host a legendary, very famous and historic event known as the Triwizard Tournament!”

I gasped and could already feel the excited shifting in seats and surprised students at the news.

“For those who do not know what this is, the Triwizard Tournament is a competition which brings together three schools for a series of contests where from each school one single student is selected to represent them as champion. Now, listen carefully, because if chosen, you stand alone. And trust me when I say this, these tasks are not for the faint-hearted.”

“He’s making it sound like something completely barbaric,” I mumbled to the twins.

“More of that later, though! For now, join me in welcoming the lovely ladies from Beauxbatons Academy of Magic, and their headmistress, Madam Maxine!”

All eyes darted to the large wooden doors which were burst open. Girls looking around the ages of seventeen and eighteen walked through the doors. Their beauty seemed to be enchanting, almost veela-like. They strutted down the Hall in blue cloaks and hats, confidently and keeping their gaze firm.

They bowed their heads back and let out sighs. I grumbled, wanting to gauge my eyes out as I watched all the boys’ eyes widen in delight as their eyes strolled up and down their figures.

Fred and George were staring with their mouths open, looking at the girls like if they were the newest broomstick out there. I smacked their arm and they rolled their eyes.

“Boys are so immature,” I said.

The room was now full of a blue mist and tons of butterflies. They faded once the girls reached the front. I turned around to see a large woman, almost a head or two taller than Hagrid possibly, walking down the aisle, smiling down at all of us. She was draped with a large, patterned robe-like dress with fur on the collar that reached her slick and greasy hair.

“Merlin’s beard,” me and the twins all mumbled at the same time.

The girls bowed as the Headmistress reached the front, ending their introduction. I groaned as the boys all stood up and began to clap and cheer loudly.

“And now,” our Headmaster’s voice boomed, “let us welcome our friends from the North, the Durmstrang students, and their Headmaster, Igor Karkaroff!”

Attention darted back to the doors as, for the second time, they burst open, revealing figures. But these were much more pleasant than the last. In walked tall, muscular boys once again around the ages of seventeen and eighteen. They held staffs in their hands as they grunted loudly, banging them on the floor, causing a loud noise.

They soon dropped their staffs and began to run down the row and do backflips and stunts. But before we knew it, eyes were no longer on them. The doors opened to reveal a tall man with a beard and white cloak with fur and a hat. He had a cold and stern look that seemed to radiate off of him. And standing right next to him, with the same stern look on his face, stood no other than the man who made girls swoon, Viktor Krum.

I gasped and grabbed for whichever twin I first could grab’s shoulder - which turned out to be George - and shook it violently. “It’s Viktor Krum,” I mumbled.

He rolled his eyes at me and before I knew it, I made eye contact with the tall, broad Quidditch player. His expression stayed the same but he managed to smirk at me before turning his gaze back to his fellow schoolmates, where three of them were now on their knees, blowing fire from a large stick. The flames took shape of the Durmstrang crest before fading away.

Everyone began to cheer and clap loudly, giving the school a standing ovation.

“Did you see that, Fred?” George exclaimed.

“I know, Rose here got an actual smirk from Viktor Krum! Unbelievable!”

I laughed at their idioticness and sat back down as the claps and cheers faded.

Suddenly, a large thundering sound was heard from all over the Great Hall. Screams echoed as we looked up to the magical enchanted ceiling which was now a dark grey with flashing lightning and clouds. I covered my ears and shut my eyes tightly, blocking out the sound. I could still here the screaming, but it was muffled by my palms.

Suddenly, it died down. I opened my eyes and removed my hands from my ears to see a man with long dirty blonde hair. He looked rather overweight, and had a brown jacket draped over him. His nose seemed completely distorted, and I couldn’t help but notice he only had one eye. Where his other eye should have been was a magical eye being held by an eyepatch. It seemed to fiddle with every glance. Another thing he was missing was his right leg, which was occupied by a wooden peg.

Everyone stared at the man as if he were some lunatic, but he was greeted by Dumbledore. I couldn’t hear their exchange of words, but I definitely heard the words “Alastor Moody” slip from his mouth. I had never seen the man in person, but I had definitely heard about this ex-Auror.

As he walked to the Professor’s table and the same Ministry worker from the Quidditch World Cup, Barty Crouch, walked up to where Dumbledore now stood, he grabbed a jug which was slung over him with a strap and began to drink from it. Curiosity washed over me as I watched him shake his head in disgust and then sit down.

“What d’you reckon he has in there,” Fred murmured.

“I dunno,” I replied. “But it’s definitely not pumpkin juice.”

I could already tell this would be an interesting year.
♠ ♠ ♠
The Triwizard Tournament is finally announced! Gahhh
Thank you to my commenters as always:
stephaniek.
misfitchild
kidagakash
IWillMakeYouScream
forbiddensecrets
Justice Rader

You guys are the best!

ALSO...quick little shoutout. If you haven't already, I seriously encourage you to go check out kidagakash.'s story, Alohomora because she is such an amazing writer and you will love the story and become obsessed with it like I have!
Love you all! x