‹ Prequel: Dangerously Close
Status: Active!

Stranger

The Taunts

"Ruby Stokes, please explain to me since when it was okay to draw a fucking penis on my Astronomy notes," I asked, staring at the doodle the Gryffindor fifth year had intentionally put on my paper.

She shrugged, a successful grin creeping on her face. "If it happens, it happens, mate."

Rayne beamed. "This is why we need her around. Ruby, from now on you are forbidden to leave us!"

"That's not creepy at all," I chuckled as I shoved my notes into my bag and continued down the steps of the Astronomy Tower.

"Now I know what name to put in the restraining order," Ruby joked. Rayne gasped and smacked her arm as we burst into laughter.

After a light-hearted moment of laughing and walking to the courtyard, Rayne spoke up. "So, Rose, care to explain why you felt necessary to bring two Slytherins to the meeting yesterday?"

"I'm quite curious as well," Ruby added. "I mean, c'mon, didn't you hate them?"

"Put her in Slytherin and suddenly she's making BFFs!"

The two girls giggled at what they thought was them being clever. I rolled my eyes at them. "Well, if you must know, they're not that bad. You saw how Daphne was on the carriage ride!"

"Yeah, but on the carriage ride she looked like a fucking psycho," Rayne defended.

Ruby watched and laughed as she tried to catch the details through their bickering.

"Okay, well, it turns out this whole time she's never been a fan of house rivalries and she just wanted to be friends! No harm done."

"What about Blaise Zabini," Ruby asked. "I'm fine with Greengrass, but Zabini? He's friends with your enemy!"

I bit my lip and shrugged. "That one I still have no idea. He was the first Slytherin to talk to me once I got re-Sorted, and he just jokes alot. In all honesty he's a lot like the twins. I still have an eye on him, but he claims he's not into Malfoy's ways - he even helped lie to Malfoy the other day!"

"Aww, someone's got a widdle cwush on Zwabini," Rayne cooed in a baby voice. I laughed loudly and shook my head. "God, no!"

Ruby wiggled her brows and I let out a playful scoff. "You two are unbelievable! Mark my words, I will never like a Slytherin."

Ruby grinned and began coughing, mumbling the words, "Liar." and "Blaise." under them. I swatted her arm.

"It's so fun messing with you now that you're a snake," Rayne sighed.

"I'll still always be a lion," I objected. "I don't even qualify to be a snake."

"Who doesn't qualify to be a snake," a voice chirped behind us. I turned my head to see Blaise Zabini smirking rather proudly. Ruby tensed up a little and bit her lip, but Rayne smirked at him in confidence.

"Oh just that one boy, Blaise Zabini, surely you've heard of him," I teased. "Heard he's more of a Hufflepuff. Could you believe the fool?"

"Hey, there's nothing wrong with Hufflepuff," Ruby exclaimed with hands on her hips.

"Were you following us," Rayne asked with a brow raised.

Blaise, who was grinning mockingly at us, shoved his hands in his pockets and shrugged. "Dunno. Maybe I was."

"Then he wasn't," I proved.

The Slytherin rolled his eyes. "Potter, no one likes a bloody know-it-all."

"Pretty sure Rowena Ravenclaw would disagree with that," I beamed.

He laughed but then scowled as his gaze diverted up at two massive boys walking towards them - none other than Crabbe and Goyle. "I have to go. They can't see me with you, and I have a pretty good idea why those two are here."

He waved and ran off straight ahead, disappearing from sight.

"Asshole, so what if they see you with him," Rayne mumbled.

I sighed. "The other Slytherins are different, th-"

"It shouldn't matter though," she protested. "A Slytherin can be seen with a Gryffindor, that boy needs to grow a pair!"

"Weren't you just complaining about Slytherins a damn second ago," Ruby questioned with a laugh.

"Oh, Rayne. What will we do with you and your bipolarness?"

She laughed defensively and crossed her arms. "I'm bei- never mind! I'm starving!"

We continued out the courtyard, only to be halted by Harry, Ron, and Hermione running towards us. Harry yanked on my arm while Ron spoke. "Umbridge's got a new decree up."

I yelped as my arm was pulled and my body was forced to turn around. I followed behind them forcingly as my two other friends joined in, just as confused as I was. I pulled back my wrist and grudgingly followed along. "This is news how?"

"I don't care what that toad has to say," Rayne grumbled.

"This is different though," Hermione entered. "I think she knows about the meetings somehow."

"How is that possible," I began. "How would she know?"

We stopped at the front of the Defense Against the Dark Arts door, where several plaques were aligned on the stone castle walls. Hermione pointed up at the 24th one. I got on my tip-toes and squinted as I attempted to read the decree.

All student organizations are henceforth disbanded. Any student in noncompliance will be expelled.

"This bitch," I breathed before raising my voice. "She can't do this? How would she possibly know?"

Hermione shrugged. "To be able to actually be a part of a group you have to get her consent. She's considering any regular meeting of three or more students an organization. How could she be onto us?"

"I bet one of the brats at the meeting said something to her, that Michael Corner looked fishy," Ron began mumbling before being interrupted by Rayne.

"Please, you're just angry him and Ginny are together!"

"I'd know if it was one of them, the jinx on the parchment would give them red spots as large as the Whomping Willow would," she explained.

Harry sighed. "We're still doing it."

I nodded. "I think we should too, I mean, it's risky, but Umbitch needs to be stopped. If she takes over Hogwarts things won't be good."

Ron snorted at the nickname. Hermione nodded, ignoring it. "It's the best thing we can do."

"We'll just have to be more careful," Ruby added. "Make sure we can trust the people, not talk about it around other students, you know, that kind of stuff."

Everyone nodded in agreement before a small moment of silence filled the room.

"Do you think it could have been that man, the bartender," Ron asked. "He looked suspicious and without a bloody care, and he was eavesdropping on us the whole time - he could've ratted us out, wouldn't doubt it."

"I don't think he would really be able to," I told him. "Unless Umbridge goes to the Hog's Head, or he stepped foot inside the grounds. I'm positive every other teacher wouldn't care about this, with the exclusion of Snape."

"Good point," Hermione said. "Who knows? Maybe it was something else? She's still suspecting things about Dumbledore and Harry trying to interfere with the Ministry."

Someone came running in panic towards us, reaching him practically out of breath. My eyes widened slightly at the urged and shocked-looking Angelina Johnson and Katie Bell that came dashing to the group.

"Harry, Rosalie, did you see Umbridge's new decree," Katie asked.

Me and my brother nodded. Angelina didn't waste a second to speak.

"She's including teams. As in the Quidditch teams. We need to get permission from her to be able to play again!"

"WHAT," I exclaimed, almost leaping off my feet. "No, no way! She can't do that? Quidditch is our sport, she -"

"She can," Katie simply stated with a frown. "Look, we just came to beg you two something - please just stay on Umbridge's good side for this time being, to see if she can approve the Gryffindor team playing?"

"She already doesn't like us," Angelina mumbled in an almost sour tone. Her next sentence however came in pleading. "Just please? So we can at least have a chance?"

I opened my mouth to speak but Harry beat me to it. "Fine, for the Quidditch team."

I turned to him in a slight glare before turning back to the two girls. "Well, I can't make any promises, but I'll try."

They sighed. "Thanks, guys! C'mon, Katie, we need to tell Fred and George and pray they don't throw a dramatic tantrum!"

They took off in a sprint once again.

"That's unlikely," I mumbled under my breath, making Ron and Rayne snort.

"So what are we supposed to do now? Do you think some of the people might be more frightened to join now that Umbridge might be onto us," Ruby asked.

Harry shrugged. "I dunno, sure hope not. I don't want people backing out."

Hermione gave him an assuring smile. "I don't think people are going to back out. They'll want to stand up against Umbridge."

"You always know the right thing to say, 'Mione," I complimented. "Seriously, you're my new psychologist."

She let out a light laugh, her cheeks pinkening.

They began conversing, walking down the corridors and down the dungeon stairs. I decided on following them to their Potions classroom - I don't think Binns would get mad if I was just a minute or two late.

As they walked, my head suddenly pounded as if it was hit by a truck. This feeling had become unfamiliar after going so long without experiencing it. It hit me hard as I grumbled and clutched my head, closing my eyes as the clouded image flashed in my mind.

A snake slithered on the ground - black, reflecting tiles mirroring the actions of the creature. It trailed down the floors without stopping. Voices began appearing inside my head as the snake made a journey.

"She musn't know, Wormtail," Voldemort's voice hissed. Where were they coming from?

It faded into the wind, replaced by heavy breathing and the voice of laughing children. It broke as Snape bellowed two words. "Get out."

The snake was now slithering inside a room. The floor's fluorescent tone showed shelves lined up in every angle, blue crystal balls mounted on golden props adorning each row.

The snake looked up at one particular one as it fell on the floor and shattered onto the ground.


I snapped out of my vision, my eyes stinging as they opened. I blinked to try to rid of the burning sensation. Why did I suddenly have a vision, after going most of summer without one? Why was it so different? Why only voices?

I remained standing still, too involved in my thoughts.

The voices - what were they saying? Voldemort. What did he mean by 'She musn't know?' More importantly, who was the she? Was it meant for me?

Snape - that was the first time I had ever seen Snape in a vision. And the only things I heard from him were his ragged breathing and command to leave. What did they mean? Who was he sending away?

My thoughts broke as Harry shook me. "Rose, are you okay?"

I looked up to see his brows furrowed as he scanned my face with concern. "You fell behind," he added. "Did something -"

"No, no," I said, shaking my head. I gave him the biggest smile I could manage (which really wasn't all that big). "Just started daydreaming and thinking about the group."

He sighed. "Alright. Don't worry, Rose," he beamed. "We'll figure it out."

Seeing his sudden courage and determination for this warmed my heart. How was it possible for me to end up with such an amazing brother?

I followed behind him, regrouping with everyone. I had to apologize and continuously assure I was fine when Hermione and Ruby pestered me about it. They didn't need to know about the vision - not now, anyways. There was enough to worry about with Umbridge.

Plus, it didn't seem drastic, violent, or urgent.

We continued our walk down the dungeons. Neville caught up with us on our journey.

"Hi guys," Neville greeted politely with a smile in each of our directions. I noted a much wider smile at Ruby.

"Hi Neville," we all chirped.

"Don't really feel like going to Potions," he admitted.

"Snape is quite frightening, mate," Ron agreed. I was reminded of how Harry told me his boggart was Professor Snape and I had to try my best to not snort.

"I got used to him," I calmly stated with a shrug. I rather they not know that I trust Snape as much as Dumbledore does.

Neville frowned. "Maybe next year I won't see him as bad?"

"That is if he doesn't get worse," Rayne joked, making us all laugh.

As we neared the classroom, my face twisted to a snarl when I spotted Crabbe, Goyle, Blaise, and Malfoy.

"Speaking of the devil," I said loud enough for them to hear. They all turned around, looking to meet eyes with us. Draco glared at my brother, avoiding eye contact with me. Blaise looked at me with eyes widened.

"Well, well, what do we have here," Draco mused, eyes scanning all of us. He gave me a cold look. "The wannabe Slytherin, the Boy Who Lied. What an encounter."

Crabbe sneered. "A-And the Mudblood!"

Hermione furiously narrowed her eyes at him.

"You know, now that we're having a lovely reunion," Draco falsely exclaimed. "I must ask! How's the Quidditch team going? I am oh-so-excited to play this season - unfortunately it may not be against you."

Rayne gasped. "She accepted you guys?"

Draco smirked, his grey eyes forming a lightning storm. "Well, why wouldn't she? Some people just want the best."

"The best is still pending, thoug - oh wait - you meant you guys," I interjected, pretending to pick at my nails. "I'm sorry, I forgot you guys were here."

Blaise bit his lip as he watched, unsure of what to do.

Draco turned his gaze to me, an evil smirk playing on his lips. "If the 'best' is still pending, that's a pity - seems they thought wrong."

Ruby rolled her eyes. "Tell that to the reigning champions."

He laughed falsely. "I do believe we held it longer than Gryffindor has, Stokes. Or are you that pathetic to remember?"

"Did you make your daddy bribe them to win back in those days," I asked. I knew I had pushed his limit when his eyes snapped to me in rage. He seemed at loss for words, which shocked me.

His face twisted into a snarl. "Look whose talking, Potter. At least I didn't get in just because my dead parents were a superstar!"

Ouch.

Harry stepped in front of him, inches from his face. "Don't you dare talk to her like that!"

He laughed coldly. I expected him to corner me again, only he turned to Neville. Oh no.

"Why so glum, Longbottom? Not going to defend your petty little friends? Or are you just too scared like you always are? Do you need your mummy and daddy?"

Neville's pupils dialated as if a fire had crackled and before we knew it he was jumping at Draco.

I ran to Neville and pulled him back as he swung his arms back and forth, trying to swing lame punches. Draco, who was in a defensive position and wincing, suddenly started laughing.

"He's not worth it, Neville," I shouted.

Blaise stepped in and I gave him the biggest thank-you look I could possibly manage. He gave me a small smile and looked at Draco roughly, tugging back on his shoulder. Draco was buff and tall, but Blaise was bigger in both ways. Draco stumbled back a little. "I think that's enough," his friend cautioned.

But Malfoy doesn't know when to listen.

He kept laughing. "You're all insane! I bet they have a spot for Potter saved in St. Mungos," he spat, directing it at my brother. "Ron's pathetic father's going to get sacked any day now. And poor little Rosalie, whining about her Cedric -"

When his name left his lips, I was jumping at him.

I grabbed him roughly by his shoulders, my skin turning hotter than a volcano as it radiated my anger. "How dare you say his name? And talk to my brother and my friends like that?"

Rayne, Ruby, and Blaise immediately worked to pull my arm back but my free arm swung. Draco jumped and in attempts to push my arm back, yanked my robe.

The collar slipped off as well did the sleeve and I felt everyone stop. Rayne, Ruby, and Blaise gasped as they took sight of my neck, their grip on me loosening. Even Draco himself had stopped to stare at it in surprise.

My scar.

No one knew I had it, only Harry.

I stared at everyone. My friends stared at me apologetically, Hermione's eyes watering. Rayne seemed absolutely terrified.

It was as if the world stopped spinning.

I didn't know what to say.

"Y-You have the scar," Ruby breathed, blinking slowly as she tried to process it.

"W-When?"

Draco blinked slowly, sharing the same blank expression as everyone. However, even then he managed a taunt. "Great, another lunatic to St. Mungos."

I looked at him with absolute hatred. "I hope you go to hell."

As Snape opened the door, I pulled my robe back up to my neck, trying to cover up what happened. I wasn't sure why I wasn't tattling on him, but I couldn't handle anymore shit for today.

I simply turned around and walked away, ignoring the calls from everyone. Now they knew, they weren't supposed to know. I couldn't have them know. I ignored the burning tears threatening to spill.

My secret wasn't a secret anymore.
♠ ♠ ♠
GUYS I AM THE WORST I'M SO SORRY.
I literally disappeared for two months. But Jess still has no Wi-Fi in the house with no way to update. But now that it's summer I'll try my hardest to find ways to update whenever Wi-Fi becomes available.
I hope Rose, Rayne, Ruby, and Blaise in the beginning are able to make it up to you guys.