‹ Prequel: Dangerously Close
Status: Active!

Stranger

The Arrival

I pulled my cart behind me, bursting with excitement for once. The summer was over and long gone - my favorite part of the year was here. The part where I could go back to Hogwarts. The part where I could see Rayne and Ruby again - everyone I hadn’t seen in months. I could finally be happy again.

We walked through Kings Cross, rapidly trying to find Platform 9 and Platform 10. There were many people there today, the place was more crowded than normal. Mad-Eye, Sirius, and Lupin had joined us and the Weasleys to the train station. I could see familiar faces in the swarm, allowing me to smile at them. Today was the only day I wasn't particularly fond of the Muggles who pushed around rudely through the excited kids and families.

I took in a deep breath, looking around at everything I had grown familiar to. I couldn't believe this would be the last time I boarded the train to Hogwarts.

All I had was the year left and the train ride home.

I hurried through, struggling to keep my trunks from falling. My arms were sore from the weight of the cart, the luggage, and Addie's cage. George seemed to realize this as he took over.

"Thanks, Georgey."

"You're welcome, princess," he beamed, sending a wink my direction.

Sirius - or Padfoot, I should say - barked. Remus grinned, rolling her eyes. "Weasley, I don't think Padfoot appreciates you flirting with his goddaughter."

He pinched the bridge of his nose, shaking his head. "Please, I'd never flirt with someone other than who I fancy!"

I clasped my hands on my mouth, squealing loudly as I jumped up and down. "GEORGE LIKES SOMEONE! OH MY GOD!"

"Who's the lucky lady," Fred asked, nudging his brother. His twin rolled his eyes. "Freddy, I'm not telling you - or Rose."

I rolled my eyes. "Now you're just rude to me and our grand relationship."

As I trudged down the steps, Sirius bit on my jacket, tugging on it to get my attention. I jumped, yanking my outerwear with it. His tail wagged before he nudged Harry's knee and began walking to the vacant waiting room. I opened the door for him, and as soon as the three of us were in, he shifted back to himself. Moody shut the door and stood outside the door as a guard.

"Sirius, you nutter. You'll get caught," I hissed.

"No matter, can't live life without a little risk right?"

I scoffed, taking a seat in the middle. Harry took the one to my right, and Sirius to my left. He let out a sigh before ruffling in his robe, trying to find something. I furrowed my brows at him.

"I wanted to give you two this. I always promised myself even before the tragic incident I'd hand this down to both of you in Rosalie's last year."

My godfather pulled out an old picture. He handed it to us, and I stared down at it in awe.

Even though the photo lacked color, it was as if I was standing right there, looking at every person's face. I could put a name to mostly every figure. It hurt looking at the determined and happy smiles my parents wore. They would stare into each others eyes lovingly, then back at the camera, James tightening his grip on his wife.

It seemed so peaceful. Why did it have to be like this now?

My mind wandered back to how it must've been back then when Voldemort and his Death Eaters were causing a war. How difficult it was for the young ones being tortured, killed, and losing lost ones. Even the innocent were hunted down.

I shuddered.

"Sirius, I-I..."

He smiled at me before turning to the photo again. He pointed to two shorter people who were smiling bright. The woman had short hair and a kind face, and her husband shared her caring expression. He looked more sophisticated with a cardigan. "That's Frank and Alice Longbottom. They were tortured by Bellatrix Lestrange for information, but they never gave in. It was a tragedy, indeed. The Crucio spell hurt them so much, they eventually lost all memory and knowledge. Stuck in St. Mungos now for as long as they live."

"Neville," I breathed, my heart falling as I hurt for the Gryffindor boy.

"No wonder I've never heard a word of his parents," Harry mumbled.

Sirius nodded, letting out a sigh. His eyes diverted to himself, where he stood with my dad and mum. He frowned at the scene. "This was taken two weeks before the death of your parents. And admittedly, a day doesn't go by I don't miss them."

My brother scanned every person before hesitantly handing it back. My godfather, however, shook his head and pushed it back towards him. "No, no, You two keep it."

I smiled, pulling him into a warm and tight embrace. He kissed my temple and chuckled as I repeatedly thanked him.

"I love you too very dearly, I hope you know that. And so did your parents."

I sighed. "Sirius, why can't we stay with you during summer? It doesn't make sense now - I'm of age so I don't have the same protection as Harry anymore, even if I do have a scar now."

"Wrong you have the Order, me, and your brother. And since your brother isn't 17 yet, the magical shield still works on him - he can't leave your uncle and aunt. But I'll tell you what - next summer, you're more than welcome to stay for a month."

Harry and I beamed, hugging him one last time. Once we pulled away, he grinned. "Now get going you two rascals, don't wanna be late on the first day, do you?"

Image

"Rayne!"

"Rosalie!"

The blonde girl dropped her trunk and ran towards me, engulfing me in the biggest hug ever. I smiled, letting out a laugh and hugged her close, never wanting to release. It felt so great and comforting to see her and embrace her again, it felt like my second half had been returned.

She pulled away with a bright beam and a chuckle. I took a moment to notice how she'd changed. It was almost as if I was staring at a new person. Her old golden blonde hair was now a lighter shade with a little brown peeking at the roots. It was wavy and bouncy. Her face looked more mature - her cheekbones had lost their chub, her eyes were a much kinder and darker tone now. She had definitely grown an inch or two from the last time I had seen her, and she looked fuller and curvier.

Meanwhile, Rayne's face fell when she took in my new and palid figure.

"Rosalie, bloody hell...what happened to you? You look slimmer, and you're paler than before. How come your eyes aren't sparkling? Why is your hair picked up?"

"Yes, Rayne, you notice my dead appearance and the change you emphasize is how I decided to style my bloody hair."

"And your voice! It sounds so much quieter - I'm so used to hearing your loud and determined voice! What happened? Were you cursed," she panicked.

"I'm sorry Rayne, this is my fault," I apologized weakly.

She gasped. "You did this? How - you know, never mind that. You can tell me in full detail in the common room later. The good news is you're back to Hogwarts with me and I make it my misson to bring you back to your old self before the term ends!"

I smiled, giving her another small hug.

"We should go find a carriage. I don't want to end up walking," Rayne said, pulling her trunks with her.

Like always, before boarding, Flitwick took our bags, teleporting them away to our dorms. Rayne and I headed for one with a grinning girl and a shy little boy. None of them spoke a single word.

"Seems good enough," my friend decided with a shrug before climbing on.

I smiled in greeting at the two passengers as the carriage began to move. The boy smiled and twiddled his thumbs while the girl kept her grin.

I looked to the side, noting something. There was something pulling the skeletons. I couldn't see the front of the animal, but it appeared to be some sort of pegasus, only black and bony. My eyebrows knitted together as I leaned forward, eyeing them.

"The carriage isn't pulling itself anymore," I asked, cocking her head to the side.

Rayne made a befuddled expression, but before she could speak up, the other girl did. Her eyes were wide open, and she looked shocked. "You can see them too?"

I stared at her blankly. "Huh?"

Rayne raised a brow. "Are you two mental or am I? The carriage is pulling itself like it always does."

"Only people who've seen death before their eyes can see the thestrals," she explained, her voice lowering.

I bit my lip. Cedric.

"B-But, how? How can you see them?"

"It's a long story you don't care about," the girl coolly said, twirling her hair.

Rayne was about to say something else but I cut her off. "What's your name?"

"Daphne Greengrass. And of course I know your name."

I eyed her carefully again without emotion. "Greengrass...you're in Slytherin, I imagine."

"Is that a problem," she questioned.

I bit the inside of my cheek, not daring to speak again. My friend was the same, even though I could tell she had stuff to say. The Hufflepuff boy just stared, baffled.

The ride ended a few awkward moments later, and I was urging to get off the vehicle. I stepped out behind Daphne, when she turned around, giving me a small smile. "I'm not prejudice, you know."

With that, she was off, shrugging her black and green robe on.

I was confused as I let my eyes gaze at her retreating figure. I didn't know how to react to the moment whatsoever. Rayne walked up behind me, a similar expression as mine crossing her face.

"That wasn't odd at all," she commented.

I rolled my eyes, not saying a word back. I rushed into the Great Hall with the herd of students, pulling on my ruby red robe with the Gryffindor badge. I closed it off before entering the room, the aroma of turkey and pumpkin juice filling my senses. I glided to the Gryffindor table, taking a seat in front of my brother and his friends.

Once the Sorting started, I remained silent, hearing every House name called. The most frequent one this year seemed to be Ravenclaw. As every fidgety first year stepped on the stool, I would make a comment in my mind about them.

"These things are a waste of my time - why do we have to go through them," Ron complained.

The group of first years were all done, and everyone clapped. Dumbledore gave warm smiles as he walked up to the podium. Minerva picked up the Hat just as he was about to speak, and it interrupted the Headmaster.

"Wait."

Everyone fell dead silent, surprised eyes on the rusty brown hat.

"It seems you have forgotten someone."

McGonagall shook her head, looking over her parchment scroll. "How? No one is missing, you must be talking nonsense."

"No, dear. Not a first year."

Everyone began shuffling around and whispering. What was happening? The night was turning out to be much more shocking and baffling than expected.

"Rosalie Potter," he called loud and clear.

As every figure surrounding me turned their glances to my direction, I had froze. It felt as if every vein and muscle in my body had frozen ice cold and my lips refused to move. My brain fumbled to figure out what was occuring.

I turned to my horrified brother, who shook his head. I had nothing I could do as the Hat yelled for me again. I stood up ever so slowly, taking slow striding steps to the front.

"McGonagall, please," I begged. "This isn't possible. The Gryffindors are my family. You're supposed to be only sorted once..."

She frowned, clearly trying her best to help me. "Sorting Hat, I cannot allow this - what kind of nonsense is this? Surely Peeves has put you up to this -"

"No, my dear Minerva. This is something I must do."

I clenched my fist in attempt to prevent my trembling. It worked to no avail as the Professor gave me an apologizing look and sat me on the stool, placing a hat above my head.

Once the Hat had access to only my thoughts, his tone changed from determination and sternness to sympathy. "I'm terribly sorry I must do this. But my life weighs on this - I hope one day you'll figure this out."

But I can't leave Gryffindor, I protested. They're my true House, Hat. Please.

"I apologize dearly, as I know better than all you belong in the Lion house more than anyone, you are not fit for any other house. Especially not the one you'll be joining now. With great pity, I bid you good luck."

The name that was cried out terrified me beyond my imagination.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm not even gonna say anything about what just happened.