‹ Prequel: Dangerously Close
Status: Active!

Stranger

The Snakes

My feet trudged me ever-so-slowly down the steps and into the dungeons, following the sneering students. Emerald robes flickered from the corner of my eyes repeatedly as the swarm strode by in a proud manner. The whole crowd seemed unusually obstreperous – making me wonder if it was from being back in the castle, or the forming commotion from the recent turn of events.

The sneers and scowls seemed to worsen with every step shared. I nibbled on the inside of my cheek and kept my slightly welling eyes planted firmly ahead as taunts and rude comments shot my way.

“Disgrace to Salazar’s house.”

“Blood traitor!”

“Go crawling back to your filthy lion friends, Potter!”

Snickers and cackles roared from every corner, the mockery only adding to my burden. Eventually, I changed my walk to a steady stroll, pushing me behind the crowd where the shouts and murmurs were barely audible. I could finally walk in solitude.

It didn’t take long for me to lose everyone and find myself left behind. I stood alone, staring at a wall with skulls as I contemplated the possibilities for the Slytherin password. Only dark and crude things came to mind – as much as I expected something of the sort, they were long-shots.

With a frustrated – yet secretly relieved – sigh, I decided to turn around and find somewhere else to sleep. A part of me was even tempted to try sneaking into the Gryffindor dorms. Right before I could spin on my heel, someone behind me spoke.

“The password is Serpensortia,” the bored and cool voice informed.

I had heard the voice before, I was sure of it. It was deep and had a teasing sense to it blended with the casual Slytherin pride. My body spun around to reveal dark skin and black robes.

“Oh,” the boy mused suddenly as one end of his lips curled to form a smirk. “It’s you, Potter.”

I grumbled, shifting my body so I was fully facing him, my head looking slightly up to meet dark eyes. “What could you want, Zabini?”

Blaise was grinning, his melted chocolate eyes piercing my own. “Oh how brilliant – sister of the Boy Who Lies…”

“If you’ve come to tease me, know you’re awfully late,” I huffed, trying to conceal my vulnerability. “I’ve had enough.”

He rolled his eyes. “I thought I was helping – I did just give you the Slytherin password.”

“I don’t need help from a Malfoy worshipper, Zabini. I’m fully capable of handling my own.”

Blaise was only getting more amused. “For someone who was absolutely bloody depressed, you’re quite feisty. I didn’t know you were feeling better?”

My irises widened, my reply coming out as a stammer. “Wh- Wh- How did y-you k-know that?”

He shrugged simply, making a matter-of-fact look. Blaise knew well I didn’t know anything – it practically reflected off him. “But it’s all over the Prophet! ‘Rosalie Potter couldn’t contain the death of her secret lover, the charming Hufflepuff Cedric Diggory. The tragedy reveals she’s been under a great deal of confusion and depression this summer.’”

I was at loss for words.

“Oh but don’t worry, not many people believed the article to begin with.”

I clenched my fists, blinking rapidly. I could feel heat radiating off my skin, surely I was flushed.

“Alright Zabini, that’s enough. I’m in no mood for your memorized Daily Prophet reads or to talk to a Slytherin such as yourself.”

He raised a brow questioningly. “You do realize you’re a Slytherin as well?”

At this point, I was fuming. With a loud groan, I mumbled the password and stormed past the opening.

As I entered, a harsh pang of cold air struck her. The lights appeared almost green and dull, unlike the fluorescent lights in the Gryffindor Tower. Leather sofas the color of onyx stones paired together in the center, accompanied by a dimly blazing fire. Slytherin banners hung from the low ceiling, matching all the emerald and silver proudly displayed in the area.

With a sigh, Blaise followed her inside, silent as he waited for me to finish observing the common room. I had a homesick feeling as I looked at everything. It felt completely wrong.

“The girl’s dorm is to the right,” he stated. “Have fun with Pansy and Moreno!”

With that, his entertained self abandoned her, joining two dark-haired boys on the other end of the room.

I felt sick to my stomach with every step I took towards the stairs to the dormitory. Many students still glanced at me and gave me dirty looks – it was evident they didn’t want me here. I was certain once more I felt more strongly about it than them.

Down the steps I travelled, every muscle in my body seeming numb. I already missed her ruby red bunk next to Rayne, the long climb up the tower, the warmth the roaring fireplace emitted. The new House seemed utterly uninviting and cold. Not even the prefects had bothered to welcome me, let alone give me the words to enter their hideout.

When I reached the dorm room, I noticed very few girls bustling around. The walls were an ornate dark green with an emerald diamond pattern. The beds were dark wood – some had green bedspreads, and others a dusty silver. Alluring stained windows showed very little of the depth of the Lake waters.

In the far end of the room, I recognized my trunks lying on a bed. With a long sigh, I trudged to my belongings, staring at the pearly grey sheets. I didn’t bother realizing a girl had taken the bed next to me and plopped down onto its mattress.

“What did the Sorting Hat tell you,” the girl behind me asked. I recognized the voice from earlier today.

Diverting my gaze up, I met the eyes of Daphne Greengrass, the girl from the carriage. “Why should I tell you,” I mumbled.

“It’s not my fault I was curious to how a Potter ended up with us…just, never mind.”

She grabbed her pyjamas and walked – almost stomped – to the bathrooms. This left me alone to think. Not caring I was still in a grey tee and black pants, I threw my robe to the side on top of my luggage and lie down on the bed, slowly blinking my eyes which were fixated on the ceiling.

The only thing I could think about was Gryffindor.

How was her old house handling Rosalie Potter unexpectedly changing to Slytherin? With everything they were saying about Harry and his “lies” about Voldemort’s resurrection, Merlin only knew the cruel things to expect. I remembered how Seamus had looked at us back in the Beginning of Term feast at the Gryffindor Table – if the whole school would treat us like this all year, I wouldn’t take it. Not with my state.

Harry was probably worried sick. I knew my brother – even though he had yelled at me about it at the Dursleys, he was concerned, and he knew I was too. Now we weren’t in the same House – caring for each other would be incredibly difficult. We needed it, especially now that they had walked into a mob of people who were confiding in false articles and surrounded by disbelief.

Rayne was another person crossing my mind. My best friend that stuck through my problems with me, acting as an anchor. Seeing my bitter state had beyond worried her, and she was awaiting an explanation. However, the Sorting Hat had made other arrangements. How was Rayne reacting?

The Sorting Hat.

What had it meant when it said it was being forced into the decision? Didn’t he have full judgment on student’s Houses? Why had he suddenly moved me, and in my final year? What would I earn from this? The Hat himself had said I belonged in Gryffindor more than any of the other three…

My mind eventually grew fuzzy and I lost my train of thought. I grew sleepier as I struggled to recollect my questions. Eventually, I had dragged myself into a deep and much necessary slumber.
♠ ♠ ♠
I HAVE NOT POSTED IN ETERNITY GOSH
Is it gonna be like this all the time?
No idea.
I haven't had WiFi in two months and I still don't.
So Rosalie's in Slytherin now. Wonder how this is gonna turn out.
Why do you guys think the Sorting Hat put her there?
By the way Blaise Zabini is probably one of the only cool Slytherins so don't hate
Thanks to my two lovelies misfitchild and the lioness! You two are literal bae ♥
Promise to update as soon as I can x