I Do

Never How I Imagined

“Oh Blackhawk at ten o’ Clock!” Lacy says and I look towards the door where I see Patrick and another tall guy. I push past Lacy and run into the kitchen. I don’t want to see him.
“Is Tatum Towers here?” He ask Lacy and I flinch.
“Yeah let me go get her.” She walks into the kitchen but her big smile fades when she sees the panic on my face. “What’s wrong?” She ask but I shake my head.
“I might have to leave.”
“Alright. I’ll cover for you.” She says and then I walk out behind the bar and over to where he is standing, waiting for me.
“Tatum?” He ask nervously and I nod scared.

Patrick’s POV

The girl, Tatum, looked so scared I thought she was about to cry. She didn’t seem like the gold digger we were expecting her to be.
“Look, I’ll sign whatever you need. I won’t tell anyone what happened. I don’t want anything! I’m sorry.” She spits out and then quickly wipes away the single tear. I wasn’t angry any more. I couldn’t be. She didn’t want this. Sure, we were both guilty but she regretted it just as much as I did and she didn’t want anything accept to get back to her normal life. I instantly find myself caring about the girl.
“Ms. Towers, can we speak to you privately?” Mike ask and she looks between us with wide eyes.
“Uhm, I live right around the corner.” She tells up and takes off her apron. “Follow me.” She says and we walk right down the street to an apartment building. She takes us up to her apartment on the fourth floor. It’s not awful but it’s not the greatest either. We really can’t afford for her to be living here while we are “married”. That wouldn’t look right. “Uhm… Would you like some water?”
“Yes, please.” I speak up and she nods and quickly makes her way into the little kitchen. I look around and notice how small it is. The living room and Kitchen were night next to each other and there was a small table in the corner. But even though it’s small it’s incredibly neat and well organized. She comes back with the water and we sit at the table, Mike and I on one side and her on the other.
“Ms. Towers..”
“Tatum, please.” She corrects him.
“My apologies, Tatum. I have looked at the fine print and the marriage is 100% legal. I know divorce seems like the easiest solution, for Patrick it’s not. As you know his reputation has been a bit bumpy and he was just starting to get it cleaned up.” He explains and she nods. I was already feeling guilty for what we are about to ask her to do. “We want you both to stay married, at least for a while. We would like for you to move in with Patrick, you would have your own room of course. We just want the public to believe that you are actually in love. I have someone coming up with a story as we speak.” He says and she seems to think it over as she stares at her hands on the table. She looks at me with dark green eyes and I get so see just how beautiful she is. Her eyes are a window into her soul, and it was a pure innocent soul.
“Is that what you want?” She ask me in a sweet voice and I nod.
“I know it will be hard at first but yes… I’m already on a fine line when comes to misbehaving and public outburst. I need this to work.” I tell her and she nods.
“Ok. But one condition.”
“What is it?” Mike ask.
“I still get to work. I need to make money to support myself.” She says and I shake my head.
“I can take care of you. You’re my wife now.” I tell her, knowing it was the right thing to do but she shakes her head.
“I want to keep my job.”
“Ok. That’s fine.” Mike says, sealing the deal. “Patrick’s lawyer is writing up an agreement and as soon as it’s ready I’ll bring it by the house. We should get your things packed up, at least the things you need right now and I will have some movers pack the rest of it up.”
“I have to sell my place?” She ask looking at him with sad eyes.
“It only makes sense.” He says and she nods.
“How will I get to work?” She ask, “It’s so close to my apartment.”
“Uhm I have an extra car.” I tell her and I receive a small nod before she walks back into the bedroom. I give mike a look and he shrugs.
“It’s the only way Patrick. It will work out.” He rubs a hand over his face and sighs. “Honestly it’s not going as bad as I thought it would. I expected her to be… well, much different.” He says and I nod. I agreed with him. She was much different then what I was expecting and instead of being angry that I would have to live with some girl… I felt guilty for making her leave her home.
.
.
“This is beautiful.” She says as she walks around my apartment. Her entire apartment could fit in my living room. The kitchen was open up to the dining room and the view of downtown was beautiful. It has three bedrooms and she seemed to really like hers.
“Uhm so Mike picked this up.” I tell her and pull the ring box out of my pocket. She takes it with shaky hands and opens it with a small smile.
“It’s beautiful.” She says and then a frown forms on her lips.
“What’s wrong?” I ask, a little confused.
“It’s just, this is never how I imagined getting my wedding ring… or a wedding for that matter.” She says and wipes her eyes again. She walks into her room and sits on the bed.
“Uhm, have you told your parents yet?” I ask and she get a small sad smile.
“My parents died two days after my 18th birthday. I had no other family. That’s why I have been working full time for so long and I can only do classes part time, because I have had to do everything on my own.” She explains and I don’t know what to say. I feel even worse. There has to be something that I can do to help her.
“Uhm, I’m going to get to bed. I have an early practice tomorrow.” I tell her and she just nods.
I didn’t know how to feel. I was kind of numb at the moment. She was absolutely beautiful and it was clear she had done everything on her own, only making her more attractive. I can’t get feelings for her, we just met. Then again, we are married.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts please:)