I Do

I Can't Do This Without Him

“What are you girls doing today?” Patrick ask over the phone after his morning skate.
“I don’t know. I think we are going to do a little baby shopping. Nothing to important just some looking. Then we are going to lunch at that little place downtown I’ve wanted to try.”
“Alright just no fish.” He tells me with a small laugh because he knows I don’t like sea good anyways.
“Oh Patrick shut up!” I tell him and shake my head.
“Brent is all nervous about Dayna.” He says and I nod.
“Yeah, she is due this week. The baby could come anytime. I’m so excited for them.”
“You know our babies are going to be best friends right?” He ask and I laugh. “Like our little man is going to marry their baby girl.”
“Oh did you and Brent plan all this?” I laugh at the thought of Brent and Patrick sitting in the locker room and talking about babies and future marriages.
“Maybe…” He says and drags it out. “Alright Tater well I need to take my nap. I love you so much.”
“I love you more. Kick ass tonight and I’ll be here in bed waiting for you when you get home tonight.”
“I’m looking forward to it.” He says before hanging up and I can’t help but smile. I feed Bauer and get ready before waiting for Lacy to show up.
“Knock knock!” She calls as she walks in. “How are you feeling?” She ask me and I frown. “What’s wrong?”
“Well I didn’t want to tell Patrick but I’ve been having these awful stomach cramps today in my lower back and lower stomach.”
“I’m sure it’s fine. Maybe getting out and walking around will help with the pain.”
“Yeah.. I hope so.” I tell. I grab my purse and we get in the rover although she drives because I’m almost too big to fit behind the wheel. “I’m tired of being so fat.” I tell her as I waddle through the mall.
“You are not fat Tatum! You’re pregnant! There is a huge difference.” She tells me but I just smile. “Oh lets look in here.” She drags me into a baby store and I start to look around.
The pain in my lower back and stomach starts to get to much and I groan in pain and accidently drop my phone.
“You ok?” She ask, but when I go to grab my phone a shot of pain goes through my body and I cry out as I feel water rush down my legs.
“Oh no.”
“Tatum was that…”
“My water broke!” I tell her and look at her with scared eyes. I still have two months till I’m due. I’m too early.
“I’m calling an ambulance.” She says. She calls them as we slowly make our way outside. The ambulance gets there and she follows it in her car.
.
.
“aahhh! I want a fucking epidural!” I yell in pain and the nurse gives me sympathetic eyes.
“We can’t give you one. The babies are too early and the drugs could cause problems with a delivery this early.” She explains and then the doctor walks in.
“Alright Tatum we are going to take a look and see how far along you are.”
“Where is Patrick?” I ask Lacy and she gives me sad eyes.
“He is in the middle of the game Tate. I’ve left him like 12 messages and Jonathan too.” She holds my hand. “I did call Erika though. Her and her parents and Jess and Jacky are on their way.” She tells me and I nod but then I start to cry.
“I want my husband! I can’t do this without him.”
.
.

Patrick’s POV

I get off the ice after our win and we celebrate a little in the locker room as we start to change. I see Jonathan on his phone but when his face pales and he looks at me, I start to panic.
“What is it?” I ask, walking over to him, now out of my gear.
“It’s Tatum. She Is in delivery.” He says and everyone becomes quiet. We all know she isn’t due for two months.
“No… She can’t be its too early. I’m not there!” I start to panic and run back to my stall to quickly change.
“Patrick we have a car ready to take you to the airport. You’ll get there faster if you go now!” Coach tells me and I thank him before running out the door. I couldn’t let her face this alone.
On the plan ride all I could think about was the what if’s. What if the babies didn’t make it? What if Tatum didn’t make it? I couldn’t live without her. I needed her in my life more than I needed hockey or anything else.
The plan lands and I call Lacy.
“Lacy how is she? I just landed.”
“Patrick she just delivered the boy but you need to get here quick. There is something wrong with the little girl, she isn’t coming yet.” She says and it sounds like she is in tears.
“I’m on my way.” I tell her before hanging up. I get in the car that Coach had waiting for me and they speed to the hospital. I run into the delivery area and give them my name, but as I’m doing so I see Lacy in the waiting room. “Why aren’t you with Tatum?” I ask her and I see the tears in her eyes.
“They have her in an operating room now. The boy was born and he is a premi, he will have to stay in the hospital for a little but… the girl she…”
“She what Lacy?!” I yell, trying to get the answer out of her.
“She wasn’t in the birth canal. She wasn’t ready to be born so they have to do a C-section. The doctor said that there is a 95% chance she won’t make it.” Lacy says and burst into tears as I stand there in shock. I pull her into my chest as she cries and then I break down and we cry together.
“Patrick?” I hear. I turn around and see Erika, Jessica, Jacqueline, and my mom and dad.
I rush to my mom and she pulls me into my arms as I cry. “Patrick, what happened? What’s going on?” But I can’t answer to Lacy does.
“She had the boy and he is ok. He will have to stay here for a while but he will live.” She says and looks at me.
“What about the girl?” Mom ask. He voice gives away her fear.
“She is in a C-section now. She wasn’t in the birth canal. So they have to do the C-Section. The doctor said there is a 95% chance that she won’t live.”
“Oh no…” my sister look mortified and I don’t know what to say to anyone. My team will be getting here soon but I don’t want to see anyone. I don’t want to have to answer any of their questions.
“Mr. Kane?” We all look at the Doctor. “I think you should come with me.” He says and my stops. I hear nothing. I feeling nothing but panic and pain. I need her. I can’t lose her. I can’t lose my baby.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts???