Dear Mr. Berbrooke

Two.

Sarah had been reading for not even ten minutes, when there was a knock on her bedroom door. She rose up from her seat at the window to answer it, positive that it was her mother. But instead there was a footman standing there, a white card in his hand.

“Miss, a Mr. Berbrooke has come calling. Shall I tell him that you are unwell for visitors?”

She took the calling card from the footman, ran her fingers across the silver script on top.

“No, I am quite alright. Place him in the parlor and tell him that I will be down shortly.”

“Yes, miss,” he nodded then walked away.

As soon as the door shut she ran to her dressing table and inspected her appearance in the mirror. Her dark auburn hair was up in a simple chignon at the base of her neck, something easythat her maid had constructed that morning. Considering that Sarah was in her third season, her mother had long sense ditched her white and pale-hued gowns and let her wear darker colors. Her deep forest green gown was of a sturdy knit fabric, with sleeves that ended at her elbow and the color brought out her emerald eyes. The neckline was in a wide scoop and lined with the smallest amount of white lace, showing off her creamy pale shoulders and long neck. The rest of the dress gathered at her small waist then flared out at the hips.

Benjamin had obviously already received her letter and had come to… She wasn’t even sure. Yell at her? Make her feel terrible? No matter what it was, she wanted to look as ravishing as possible so he would understand what he was missing.

She wished she could change into a different dress, something maybe with a lower neckline but she had no time. She left her bedroom and made her way down to the parlor, heart beating wildly. The double doors the room were opened and she could see Benjamin standing by the window, hands clasped behind his back. Just like everytime she saw him her breath caught in her throat. He just had such a presence, and it felt like there was less air in the room whenever she was with him.

His broad shoulders were encased in a closely fitted navy waistcoat and his golden hair was pushed back from his brow, like he had hastily brushed it away. When she stepped into the room, he turned towards her and the smile that broke across his face was so sunny and genuine, Sarah instantly grew worried. She closed the doors behind her, not wanting any of the servants or her family to hear their conversation.

Benjamin hurried towards her, deep blue eyes twinkling.

“Oh, Sarah, you will never guess what has happened!” His arms slid around her waist to pick her up and he spun her around the room.

“Wh-What?” She was momentarily shocked and confused by the sudden spinning and the manly, earthy scent filling her nostrils.

Once he set her down on the ground, he buried his face in the crook of her neck, placing small kisses along her collarbone.

“Wait,” she exclaimed, backing away from him. There was already too much confusion coursing through her and she didn’t need any more of his touching to make it worse. “Why have you come here? I thought you no longer held interest in us.”

She knew the words came out bitter and clipped, but there was nothing she could do to take them back. Benjamin’s eyes darkened with regret and he stepped forward to take her hand in his but she flinched away. She couldn’t bear to stare at him, and instead leveled her gaze at his neatly folded cravat.

“I am so sorry for the things I said, but I thought there was no other way. I asked your father for your hand in marriage, but he refused. Said that as a fourth son, I did not have enough means to support you and any possible family we might have. I didn’t want to make it any worse, so I decided to leave you in peace, rather than admit the truth.”

“So, you actually care?” she whispered, raising her gaze to his, tears glistening in her eyes.

“Of course, I do,” he finally grabbed both her hands, pressing small kisses along her knuckles. “I told you that I love you did I not?”

“Oh, Benjamin,” she cried, tears spilling over. “You know that I love you too, right? But that doesn’t change the fact that my father won’t allow it.”

“But that’s just the thing! The publishers have picked up my book. I will be an accomplished writer now! I can support us.”

With another cry she leapt into his arms and they tumbled onto the red and gold floral-printed settee. Their mouths met in a hesitant kiss before Benjamin let out a rough groan and slid one hand into hair and the other around her waist. He deepened the kiss and tugged his hand through her dark auburn locks, knocking lose multiple pins. The heavy mass came tumbling down around her face, and he brushed some away from her neck. He moved away from her mouth to the soft skin of her throat, pressing kisses along the way. He dragged his tongue up along the column of her neck and she shuddered from the pleasure.

“B-Ben,” Sarah breathed out. “We shouldn’t be doing this. My mother could come in at any minute.”

But when his lips found a particularly sensitive spot behind her ear and nipped softly, she couldn’t help but moan. He pressed her down into the couch, leaning over her lithe little body. A hand caught in the lace edge of bodice, deftly pulling it down and revealing the top swell of one breast. He placed one kiss to the pale skin and she arched her back up to reach for more. His hands slid around to the line of buttons running down her back, and he slowly started to undo them. With each button the bodice of her dress gaped open more and he groaned. She was just so beautiful.

Sarah knew there was something she was forgetting, some little detail she had to tell him. She reached up to run one hand work it under the edge of his linen shirt and caught sight of the ink staining her fingertips.

“Oh, by the way, there’s going to be a very angry letter waiting for you when you get home…”
♠ ♠ ♠
So, this was my first foray into historical fiction but I really liked how it came out! I certainly read more than enough of it, hah. Yes, I am one of those girls that ready crappy Regency England romance novels. NO SHAME.
Thoughts?

-Beki