Where You Belong

Dismissal

She awaited her verdict patiently, obediently. Leslie Waters waited outside the office of her current employer, the Rivera's, as they discussed her recent outbursts. The voices were low, low enough that Miss Waters could not make out their words.

After waiting a great length of time, the door opened and out stepped the matriarch of the house, Mrs. Paula Rivera. "Miss Waters, you may enter. Keep your gaze down, keep your mouth shut. Nod once if you understand."

For a moment, Leslie did not move, did not breathe, just listened to the steady breathing of Mrs.. Rivera. She didn't nod until she heard Mrs.. Rivera clear her throat in annoyance. "Good. Now, come along."

Standing up and staring at the floor just before her feet, Leslie watched as Mrs. Rivera first walked into the room, quickly following suit. She did not sit when she entered, for she would be seen as rude for taking something she was not offered. As told, she did not look anywhere but at her feet, she did not speak. She just awaited her verdict.

"As you know, Miss Waters, you are here for your unruly behavior early this afternoon. You not only spoke out of turn, you yelled at my wife for something that was none of your concern," Mr. Rivera started, causing Leslie to bite the inside of her cheek. "You do not have the authoritative right to yell at my wife for disciplining our son in the way she saw fit."

"Papa, Mother did smack me quite hard. Harder than usual. Leslie only was stating that she could have been more gentle," their son, William, said, most likely causing both of his parents to look at him.

"You were being disrespectful to your mother, for whom of which is not Miss Waters. Our staff does not interfere with matters that does not concern them," Mr. Rivera scolded, causing both William and Leslie to cringe just a bit. Leslie almost chanced a look up, but soon felt her employer's gaze upon her, so she resisted. "I'm sorry, Miss Waters, but as of today, you are free to return to the home from where you have come. Your services are no longer required. I bid you farewell."

Leslie bowed respectively and waited for her dismissal. "You have one hour to pack your things. Patrick will be waiting out front for you. You may go." Bowing once more, Leslie left the room quietly. Once in the hallway, she closed the door behind her and removed the hair clips pulling her hair back so tightly that her scalp felt numb. Her hair was fairly short, coming only to her chin, but she had to keep it up and out of her face.

"Bunch of tight asses. Disciplinary actions my foot. More like abuse," she mumbled to herself as she walked into the servants quarters and started grabbing what few possessions she was allowed to have. She looked around the room, only then realizing how much space she truly wasn't given. "Definitely not going to miss it here." At that, she slammed her case together and walked out, finally able to act freely the way she wanted to. That is, until she made it back to the home. Lady Emmaline was not a kind person towards Leslie.

Leslie has already been dismissed seven times in the last six years, not including today. When she walked through the doors of the home, Lady Emmaline will most definitely have some choice words for Leslie.

Walking out of the front doors of the Rivera household, she sat down upon the steps, waiting for Patrick to pull up in the rental car he was given. As she waited, Leslie started humming, needing to drown out the reality that was her life.