Sequel: Scattered
Status: Completed

Forgetting You, But Not the Time

Strangeland

The remaining two days I had left in Hercules went by a little too quickly for my liking. I tried spending every aching minute with Haley, Damian, Conner and Leah (other three were friends from school, if you didn't already figure that out) but even that didn't seem to be enough. And now, the day I was leaving had promptly arrived and goodbyes were going to have to be exchanged. I was seriously not looking forward to that.

I carried the remaining boxes out of the house and helped place them in the moving van; reverting my gaze to the ground after spotting Haley with the others over by her car. I tried my best to ignore their penetrating gazes and marched back into the house, helping dad carry the last of the bags that could be placed in the car for the trip (I still had no clue as to why they called it a "trip", Rodeo wasn't even that far away!).

"Alright," dad said, wiping the sweat off his forehead while leaning up against the car. "I believe that's the last of it." He panted. Miss goodie-fucking-two shoes pranced out of the residence, not a single drop of sweat on her (Maybe that could be because she didn't. Fucking. Help us!) and stepped gracefully into the car, a large smile on her face; oh how I just wanted to bitchslap that smile right off her face.

"If you're going to say goodbye to your friends, you better do it now. We're leaving in five minutes." Dad said before getting things squared away with the van drivers. I gulped and turned on my heels to face my friends, reluctantly making my way towards them. You see, I always hated goodbyes. They were horrible. I'd love to strangle whoever thought of goodbyes in the first place. Damn them.

I stopped in front of them, glancing at their sadden faces, which only made this situation worse on my behalf. Conner sighed and pulled me into a strong embrace; he always was a big guy, muscle-wise. I smiled into his chest and hugged him back. I knew I wasn't going to be far away, and I think they knew that too, but I was still basically leaving the little circle we had created years ago.

It upset me to know that I wouldn't be graduating with them, not spending our final school days together, me not being able to walk up on stage to grab my diploma and to look out in the audience to see them sitting in the front row, waving reassuringly at me. It hurt, it really did. I didn't know how I was going to get through this next year without them by my side in the school hallways.

"Call me everyday." He said, pulling away and smiling weakly at me. I nodded and smiled back as best I could.

"I will, I promise." I confirmed. Leah then pulled me into a breathtaking hug; literally. I choked on my breath, but hugged her back nonetheless. I rubbed her back soothingly as she cried in my shoulder.

"I'm going to miss you, Spence." Leah said. She let go of me and I nodded.

"I'll miss you, too. I'll call you." I said. She nodded and rubbed her eyes, drying the tears that had been falling down her red cheeks. Damian was next. We shared a hug as well, exchanging our own versions of goodbye. Then, it was Haley's turn. The girl I had grown up with for the past ten years and shared so many unforgettable memories with. She let out a violent sob and ran into my arms, hugging me so tightly that I felt as though there would be bruises left over in the morning. I wrapped my arms around her and hugged her back.

I felt tears brim my eyes, but I didn't let them fall. I was supposed to be the tough girl who never cried; now, I had to be the tough girl for myself and for all of my friends.

"Bye, Spencer." Haley choked out before pulling away. I nodded. I didn't dare say anything. I simply took one last look at my best friends before turning around and walking away. I didn't even look back at the house; the house that held my past within its walls. I shook my head and got in the backseat. I turned my head to look out the back, watching my friends get smaller and smaller until we turned the corner.

I sighed and turned around. Goodbye home, hello hell.

Hardly thirty minutes later, we got off Eastshore Freeway and pulled onto a main road; Willow Ave. I leaned my head back against the seat, cupping my head in my hands as I looked out the window, watching the scenery change as it passed by. This had to have been one of the most depressing moments of my life. And to top it all off...

"You have school tomorrow, Spencer. So go to bed early." The bitch said, reapplying her make-up for the fifth time since we left Hercules. Well now isn't that just the icing on top of the fucking cake? I rolled my eyes at her, not taking my eyes off the plants that went by.

Moments later, we pulled into a neighborhood; a rather tasteless neighborhood at that. Now was the time to bring my step-mother's sanity into question. This place was no better than Hercules! Hell, it was worse than Hercules (Me: I don't know if Rodeo is better than Hercules or not, but I always pictured Rodeo a little more rundown and old than Hercules. No offense, though! On with the story!)!

I slumped lower in my seat. I mean, no place could be any better than Hercules since it was my hometown, but come on... I pictured Rodeo to be halfway decent. I was seriously wrong. You know, I've been wrong a lot lately. I wonder if that's saying something.

"We're here!" Reese said excitedly. I groaned. Joy to the fucking world. I forced myself to open the door and Istepped slid out of my seat, dreading everything about this move. "Oh, Spencer, you party pooper, don't look so down!" Reese said, for once sounding human. That didn't stop the glare I was shooting at her as she scampered around the car and to the front of the new house.

As soon as she disappeared behind the door, I mocked her words while making a face, causing dad to laugh. I rolled my eyes at the mere thought of that woman's happiness. I had no idea she had the ability to feel such a thing. Really, how many female versions of Satan feel a strong emotion such as that? Not very many, if you ask me.

"Come on now, let's get these boxes unpacked." Dad suggested, popping open the trunk and taking what items it could hold out of it. I sighed for the umpteenth time that day, but agreed.

I grabbed a few boxes of mine that were in the backseat and walked towards the house where Reese was inspecting every square inch of the front room, stepping over a few boards that hadn't been removed just yet. With any luck she would trip and break her neck.

I continued through the house, noticing it was noticeably bigger than the old house. I stomped up the stairs, earning a few swears from the bitch in return. I smirked proudly to myself and walked into the biggest room, claiming it as my own. Dad said he didn't care which room I chose, as long as it was on the second floor.

After placing my boxes on the floor, I walked back down the stairs; making sure to generate a lot of racket on the way to piss off Reese; and returned to the outdoors where I helped unload the moving van.

Halfway through the process of empting the van completely, I heard a shrill of delight come from inside the house followed by multitudes of clapping and then a laugh of victory. One word: Reese. I scowled.

"Shoot me." I mumbled. Dad smiled apologetically at me and took a set of boxes into the room, questioning his wife as he entered.

Once everything had been put away, dad thanked the movers and began setting up the living room. I decorated my room to my liking, much like it had been set up in the old house. I had multiple posters on the walls, my clothes were in drawers and the closet, my bed sheets were a simple black and my TV was sitting on top of the dresser. The last thing I did was set up my nightstand where I put my clock, a house phone and my cell phone on top of it.

I looked around, admiring my work. It only took two hours and it already looked like home; keyword being "looked", but it sure didn't feel like home. I sighed and plopped down on the bed that the movers had set up prior to leaving. I glanced around at the walls, noticing the bland white they were painted. I frowned. Note to self: paint the walls.

I made my way downstairs, noticing the living room completely set up, looking quite the same as before, except with a few minor adjustments since it was slightly bigger than the old one. I continued on into the kitchen where dad was while Reese continued examining the house. I could just picture her finding one simple mistake and having us move again. Knowing her, she would.

"Hey, honey." Dad said, smiling as he took a sip of his coffee that had just been made. "Everything going alright? Room set up?" he checked. I nodded. He nodded as well in response. He brought the mug back up to his lips, only able to feel the warmth against his lips before Reese screamed again, causing me to jump and dad to nearly choke on his drink. I glared at nothing in particular and took a seat at the kitchen table.

"So..." dad said, trying to ignore the fact that his wife had finally lost it. "Can I get you anything?" Reese screamed once again and my glare worsened.

"A gun?"

He laughed dryly.

I looked up at the building before me. Pinole Valley High School, how lovely. Please note the sarcasm dripping endlessly from my words. The first bell had already rung about a minute ago and I had half a mind to just run away. I stared at it, as if expecting it to run away for me so I wouldn't have to go. Maybe if I stared at it long enough, it would explode. That would solve many of the problems I had in my life. Sadly, it didn't happen.

Sighing, I walked through the front doors to be greeted with the familiar environment of the office. Much like the office at Hercules, this one didn't have much of a decor. You'd think if kids get sent to detention so often in High School, they would have the courtesy to at least make the offices a little more decorative.

I walked forward to the front desk where a rather old lady sat; her white, scraggly hair stuffed into a messy bun that looked ancient and not of this century. I raised a curious eyebrow, but shrugged it off and cleared my throat to get her attention. She looked up from whatever she was doing, pushing her round glasses up with her pointer finger, yet still having to squint her eyes to see me clearly.

"Hello, dear. Can I help you?" She asked in a squeaky, high pitched voice. Well duh. Why else would I be here? I mentally smacked myself and forced a smile.

"Yeah, I'm new. I came to get my schedule." I explained. She nodded and smiled back, showing her brownish teeth that made a monkey's mouth look attractive. I grimaced.

"Name, please." Said the woman.

"Monroe. Spencer Monroe." I said, wanting nothing but to get away from the crazed old lady. She held her finger up high and licked her thumb before rummaging through a list of, what I was guessing to be, new students. After a few seconds; and me tapping my foot impatiently; she found it and handed it to me.

"Here you go, have a good day." She said. I didn't reply and instead looked down at my schedule where my locker and combination was placed on the lower left corner of it. I walked down the empty halls since the second bell rang a few moments ago and glanced at each locker, trying to find mine. 203, 203, 203.

I soon found it and put my combination in, throwing a few things in there before looking back down at my schedule. Now, to find my homeroom.

[Billie's POVYay!]

I strutted out of homeroom with my books slung carelessly underneath my right arm. I glanced around the hallways for no reason in particular before walking over to my locker to be met up with Mike, my best friend.

"Hey Beej." Mike said blandly while opening his locker.

"Hey." I said in return before putting the combination in my locker. Our lockers were located right next to each other, making it easier for us to exchange a few hey's and whatnot in between classes. As I was putting my books in my locker while taking a few out to replace them, I saw Staci Peterson (a rather attractive Senior cheerleader) walking with her group, giggling and smirking at me as they walked by. I smirked back and nodded my head in her direction, watching her pass by me.

She walked to her locker that was a few down from Mike's and turned her back to us, flipping her blonde hair over her shoulders while talking with some brunette chick, Marge was her name I think. I watched her from where I was, still randomly taking books out of my locker. My eyes lingered over her hair before going down her back, lower and lower...

Mike waved a hand in front of my face while constantly snapping his fingers. I slapped his hand away and smirked in Staci's direction. I heard Mike chuckle, pulling me out of the gaze I was in.

"You've got it bad, dude." Mike said with a grin, shutting his locker. I only shrugged and turned back to my locker.

"She's history." I stated simply, putting a few books back in my locker, wondering why I even took them out in the first place.

"Yeah, well knowing you, history tends to repeat itself. A lot." stated Mike who was now eyeing a red headed chick. I didn't even know her name.

"Oh come on, I dump that Mandy chick and then go back out with her a week later and you still can't live it down." I said dramatically, grinning over at Mike who finally broke his stare from the red head.

"Dude," he said exasperatedly. "You went back out with her just to make Jessica jealous."

"And did it work?"

"... Yeah, but—"

"Exactly." I interrupted, smirking. Mike rolled his eyes and turned away from me, not bothering to argue. I snickered and slammed my locker, about to walk towards my first period class before Mike abruptly stopped me from doing so. I flashed a confused glance towards him, but he wasn't looking at me. He was looking at something behind me. I raised an eyebrow and turned around to see what the hell he was gawking at.

My breath caught in my throat as I immediately saw what he was staring at. The something just so happened to be a someone. She had straight red hair with blonde tips and amazing green eyes, much deeper than mine. She had on a black Ramones shirt with black denim jeans and black chucks. Her red bag was thrown carelessly over her shoulder as she gripped a yellow wrinkled paper in her hands; her nails were a dark red. It was easily noticed that she was a newbie.

And it was also noticeable that she was beyond attractive. Her tight shirt and pants hugged her curvy figure, her hair laying softly on her shoulders. I wondered what it would feel like running my hands through it. I felt myself having a hormone parade and I tried turning away from her, but I just couldn't keep my eyes off her. She walked past us, a scent of vanilla filling my sinuses. I exhaled the breath I had been holding and leaned up casually against the locker, just simply watching her.

Mike looked down at me and once again waved his hands in front of my face. I tilted my head to the side to where his hands were no longer blocking my gaze and I watched as whatsername continued down the hallway, shaking her hips slightly. I gulped.

"Okay, I was wrong," Mike's voice rang through my ears, once again pulling me out of a daze. "Now you've got it bad." He affirmed, smirking at me with a knowing look. I tried shrugging it off and looked down the hallway in the direction she had been walking; she was already gone. I frowned and looked back at my locker. Oh wait, I was already done getting my books.

The bell rang and everyone began walking to their first period classes. I shook my head and began walking with Mike to Chemistry.

"You like her, don't you?" Mike asked. Just by the tone of his voice I could tell he was grinning.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I said in an almost convincing tone. Nothing ever gets passed Mike. He just chuckled and we walked into the classroom.

Preview for Chapter Three:
"Billie Joe Armstrong. Call me Billie." he said. I nodded. "So, what brings you here?" Billie asked out of curiosity.

"My selfish, bitchy step-mom." I answered. He chuckled.

"Fair enough. Where'd you move from?"

"Hercules."

"That isn't far. Why'd you move here?" inquired Billie.

"Because my step-mom's a selfish bitch."
♠ ♠ ♠
written 2/10/08
posted 5/16/08