Sequel: Scattered
Status: Completed

Forgetting You, But Not the Time

Sassafras Roots

"Spencer!" shouted Reese. Just as I was about to push Billie into the closet, the knob on the door turned and the door flew open.

"Oh shit!" Billie whispered. Thinking of nothing else to do, I shoved Billie through the now open closet door and slammed it shut, hearing a muffled 'ow' come from behind the door. Reese turned her head towards me.

"What in God's name was all that racket?" she hissed while turning on the light, looking around the room as if I had an elephant hidden somewhere, waiting for the opportune moment to jump out and pounce on her. Oh, what an amusing sight that would be.

I raised my eyebrow at her. "What racket?" I asked, in a rather well-convinced tone that I had no clue as to what she was talking about. Reese scoffed.

"What racket?" she asked incredulously. "That racket that was—" she stopped mid-sentence, noticing the dumbfounded look I had plastered so well upon my face. I shook my head, grinning nervously.

"You're crazy, Reese." I said, laughing it off. Reese huffed and looked at me like I had grown a second head.

"I beg your pardon?" she gasped, glowering at me, nearly burning a hole through my skull. I mumbled a few incoherent phrases beneath my breath before pushing myself past her and out the door. Luckily, she decided against inspecting my room to find the cause of the noise and followed me instead.

"So, what did you want?" I asked her, sounding somewhat civil towards her that seemed to shock the both of us. You see, this is what you get for hiding a teenage boy in your closet from a step-mother who was fully capable of removing his testicles if she knew he was there.

"I wanted to inform you that your father and I are going into town early tomorrow morning and most likely won't be back until late tomorrow evening." Reese said, sounding quite thrilled that she would have my dad all to herself. The bitch. If only she knew how much I wanted to hit her upside the head with a frying pan.

"Right. Okay." I was actually rather happy with the fact that I was going to be alone all day tomorrow. Despite the fact that I was going to school, I would have the rest of the day to myself. I walked into the kitchen and grabbed a can of soda, watching as my dad tried changing the channel, but not doing such a swell job. He began throwing profanities at the poor little contraption before throwing it across the room and on the rocking chair. I continued watching him with my head cocked to the side, finding the scene before me rather entertaining. He glared at the little black remote before turning his head, jumping after seeing me staring at him with a grin.

He smiled embarrassingly back before standing up from the couch and leaving the room. I let a quiet laugh escape my lips while opening the drink. I took a sip and heard a loud thump come from above my head. I looked up, knowing it did no good whatsoever since there was that thing called a ceiling that separated the second floor from the first, blocking my view of the noisemaker.

I thought nothing of it for a moment. I leaned up casually against the counter, gulping my drink peacefully until I suddenly remembered that certain green-eyed boy who was currently occupying my closet. I nearly choked on the drink I was taking and ran up the stairs, bursting into my room and opening the closet. There sat Billie under a pile of clothes, the rack lying on top of him that use to hold my clothing.

"Billie!" I moaned. "Nice going, you twat." I yanked him up off the floor and pushed him away from the closet, trying to fix the mess that he so insolently created. Billie snickered from behind me and I turned around, seeing him holding up a pair of black, lacy thongs. I scoffed and took the pair of underwear from him, stuffing them in the top drawer of my dresser that just-so-happened to be open. Hm, it's funny how it wasn't open when I came in here. Three guesses who felt like rummaging through it.

"Those were sexy little pieces of material. You wear them often?" Billie asked with a smirk, sitting himself on my bed. I muttered a couple blasphemies under my breath while I continued putting up my clothes.

"Go home, Billie." I demanded, jabbing my thumb towards the window.

"But I don't wanna." pouted Billie. I rolled my eyes and stood from my spot in front of the closet, figuring it looked presentable for the time being. I closed the closet door and turned to face Billie, who had once again made himself rather comfortable on my bed.

"Well, what do yo—"

"You wanna skip tomorrow with us?" Billie randomly asked, interrupting me. I blinked.

"What?" I inquired impatiently.

"Do you—Spencer—want to skip school with us—me, Mike, John and Carly—tomorrow?" Billie elaborated slowly as if I was someone who wasn't very smart. I rolled my eyes at his immaturity.

"I don't think so, Billie. Tomorrow's only my second day. I'd rather not be on all of my teacher's Most Hated lists by day two."

"Oh, come on, Spence! Live a little!" Billie whined, sitting upright to give me those puppy dog eyes of his. Ha, that never worked with me. He was so screwed.

"Sorry, Billie. I'd much rather drain my useless energy at school by getting an education rather than getting high, high, high with you." I said in a sing song voice (Me: Aha! Misery! I love that song!). Of course, I was being sarcastic about choosing schooling over Billie, but I'd much rather get through the first week of school in one piece; as painful as it sounded.

"But we're going to the mall!" he said, hoping it would change my mind. Unfortunately for him, it didn't phase me. Noticing the bland look on my face, Billie continued. "Come on!" he moaned, sounding like a five year old. I wanted to laugh at his childish attitude, but decided against it. Because if I did, I would have to give in. And that was something I didn't plan on doing. "It'll be fun, I swear! I'll even take you to Victoria's Secret!" he eagerly said. I gave him a look and he frowned. "I mean, not that I would enjoy it or anything." He added innocently. I chuckled.

"Nice try, buddy. But, I'm going to school tomorrow. As much fun as it sounds to skip and piss my step-mother off, I'd rather not disappoint my dad. It's the least I can do for him." I fought. I had a point, after all. I wouldn't be doing it for Reese—because, lets face it, who cares what she thinks of me?—and I wasn't exactly doing it for myself either. I was doing it for my dad.

Billie sighed. "Well, I can't argue with that." He said, defeated. I grinned proudly.

"Good. And hey, thanks for coming by to apologize. That was very sweet of you." I told him. Billie nodded, cracking a smile.

"Yeah, no problem. Well, the offer still stands if you want to join us." He said, shoving the window open after some effort and my help. He stepped out the window and turned to face me. "If you change your mind, we're meeting at Rod's Hickory Pit at 9." Billie informed me. I nodded, though knowing I wasn't going to attend anyways.

"Wait... 9 o'clock? Why so late?"

Billie gave me a look that said, 'do you honestly have stupid written across your forehead?'. "I don't plan on getting up at the crack of fucking dawn if I'm not going to school in the first place." said Billie smartly. I held my hands up, laughing.

"Okay, okay. Well, I'll see you sometime, okay?" I checked. He nodded absentmindedly. He proceeded climbing down the side of the house, but looked up at me, our faces still rather close since I was leaning out the window.

"I really hope you show up tomorrow." He said softly. I sighed, but didn't respond. He winked and flashed me a smile before climbing down the rest of the way and jumping into the yard. He waved before taking off down the street. I groaned inwardly and pulled myself back into my room, shutting the window.

I turned around and saw my dad standing in the doorway, leaning against the frame of the opening.

"What were you doing?" he asked, his hands stuffed inside his pockets.

"Uh, there was a dog barking. It was annoying me." I said the first thing that came to mind. Thankfully, my dad bought it and nodded tiredly, walking towards me.

"Oh, alright, well... you should get some sleep. I'll see you tomorrow night, okay?" I nodded and kissed his cheek. "Be good." he said and with that he turned and left, closing the door behind him. I furrowed my eyebrows and walked towards my dresser, pulling out a large t-shirt that I always slept in, contemplating whether or not I should actually take up Billie's offer or not.

Once I finished getting dressed into my nighttime attire, I climbed into my bed, shutting off my lamp that remained on. I curled up under the comforter, wondering what I would do. I mentally shrugged and figured it'd be best if I decided tomorrow morning.
♠ ♠ ♠
written 2/24/08
posted 5/21/08