I'm Just the Boy Who's Had Too Many Chances

Homework

As soon as the Gerard closed the trapdoor after him, Frank pulled Gerard into his arms, kissing him softly and wrapping his arms around his neck.

“I don’t even know how to put into words how amazing I feel right now.”

“Me, too," Gerard smiled, locking his hands together behind Frank’s back.

“Do you feel that?" Frank asked softly.

“Feel what?”

“That," Frank said, flattening himself against Gerard. “The way we fit together. Like you’re meant to be here.”

“I think I am. I know now what I’ve been feeling these past three months.”

“What?”

“Belonging. Love. That’s why no other friends really worked out for me. Because the whole time, it was supposed to be you.”

Frank sighed and set his head against Gerard’s chest. “You’ve got the heart of a poet, Gerard.”

“You bring it out in me.”

Keeping their bodies intertwined, Gerard walked over to Frank’s bed, and the two lay down on the large mattress. But instead of lying on opposite sides, Frank wiggled his way over to Gerard, once again setting his head on Gerard’s chest, and grabbing at his hand.

“Can... Can we…”

“Just say it, Frank.”

“Can we just lie down for a while? I just, and I know this sounds gooey and cliché and lame, but I just wanna lay here with you, now that I can.”

Gerard smiled, though Frank wasn’t looking at his face. “Of course, Frank.”

He kissed the top of Frank’s head.

~~~~

Gerard was cold. He shivered softly. He didn’t remember being cold when he fell asleep.

“Gerard. Gerard, wake up.”

“Frank?" He asked, keeping his eyes closed.

“No, Michael Jackson. Of course, Frank!”

Gerard rolled his still-closed eyes and then opened them. Frank was sitting next to him on his giant bed. His hair was mussed, and there were red lines crosshatching his face.

“Oh, shit," He said, sitting up and running a hand through his own knotted hair. He didn’t even remember falling asleep.

“When did I fall asleep?”

Frank smirked. “About four minutes before I did.”

“What time is it?”

“Like, 8. You better get home.”

“Fuck,He said laughing. “I didn’t mean to sleep that long.”

“Me, neither," Frank said with a smile, “But I certainly didn’t mind it. You make a good pillow.”

“You make a good blanket.”

“We’ll have to do it again sometime.”

Gerard looked away and blushed, and Frank gently brushed his hand over Gerard’s cheek.

“You’re beautiful when you blush. Does that sound gooey?”

Gerard giggled. “Yeah, but I like it. It’s nice, being able to say what I feel.”

“Yeah? And how do you feel?”

Gerard sighed, pulling Frank close and kissing him softly. “I feel like everything is right with the world.”

“You should go. But I don’t want you to.”

“I don’t want to either," Gerard said, grimacing. He crawled off Frank’s bed and walked over to his window, dragging Frank along with him.

“I’ll be back tomorrow.”

“You better.”

Gerard ran his fingernails through Frank’s buzzed hair, and kissed him again, long and slow. All their kisses so far were soft and chaste and closed-mouthed. Gerard had the urge to part his lips slightly, but he didn’t know how Frank would respond. Plus, he’d just woken up, and he didn’t know if he had morning breath or not.

They parted slowly, Frank leaning in for a couple more quick kisses before Gerard finally had to push him away.

“I gotta go," He said sternly.

Frank frowned, and Gerard kissed him again.

Gerard climbed out the window, landing safely on the bough.

“Hey," Frank called.

Gerard looked back when he got to the ladder on the tree trunk.

“I love you," Frank said, trying to keep from hiding his huge smile.

“I love you, too," Gerard responded.

He climbed down the tree and walked across the street to his house. When he looked back, Frank was still watching him.

~~~~

Gerard paused outside the front door and took a few deep breaths, preparing himself for a shitstorm when he walked in.

Instead, he was greeted with a huge hug from his mother, a handshake from his father, and later when his parents were asleep, a tearful apology from Mikey. He’d made his way down to Gerard’s room in the middle of the night again.

“I’m really sorry, Gee.”

“It’s ok," He said frostily.

Mikey wiped a tear from his face, and sniffled. Gerard noticed how vulnerable he looked.

“You’re lying. You’re still pissed, aren’t you?”

Gerard sighed, scooting over and letting Mikey crawl into bed with him. Gerard fit himself against Mikey’s back, wrapping an arm around him.

“Yeah, a little. I understand you’re sorry and that you didn’t do it on purpose, but you still, and I hate to sound like an after-school special, but you still betrayed my trust. I told you a secret, something personal that scared me, and you let it slip to Dad. You know I would never hurt you like that.”

“I know. But I was scared, I guess. You know how Mom and Dad are about homosexuality. I asked Dad about how he’d react if I told him a friend of mine was gay. He said he didn’t want me around someone like that, and that if he was gay, he was a bad person. He started yelling, and when I went to say he’s a good person, I accidently said ‘Gee’s a good person’. The way he looked at me... I’m so sorry. Can you ever forgive me?”

Gerard listened to the story, Mikey pausing occasionally to sniffle or wipe his eyes.

“Of course, Mikes. You’re my brother. And even if you fucked up, I can forgive you. We’re brothers for life. No matter what.”

Mikey laughed when he recognized the same words he’d said days ago to Gerard.

“I love you, Gerard.”

“I love you, too, Mikes.”

~~~~

The next morning, Gerard woke up early. Instead of calling or texting Frank, he just walked over unannounced, creeping through Frank’s window. He tried to do it as stealthily as possible, though Gerard had about as much grace as a bull in a china shop. He managed to pull it off, though, because as his feet found stable ground, he still heard a soft, steady snoring. Frank was still asleep.

Gerard tiptoed over to Frank’s bed, and right as he prepared to leap on Frank, Frank rolled over.

Gerard gasped when he recognized the grey fabric that Frank was half using as a pillow, half hugging. He couldn’t stop the smile that crept across his face, or the warmth he felt in his stomach.

“Frank," He whispered, shaking Frank softly. Frank rolled back over and groaned, but didn’t wake up. Gerard shook him harder. “Frank!" He almost yelled. Frank still didn’t wake up, so Gerard took drastic measures. He started poking him in the side, which woke up him quickly.

After about 4 pokes, he sat up and slapped Gerard’s hand away.

“All right! I’m up! Knock it off!”

Gerard giggled. “Sorry, Frank. I was trying to do it nicely.”

“My ass," Frank whined as he threw his blankets off him and swung his legs over the side of the bed. Gerard saw that, as usual, he was shirtless, wearing only flannel pajama pants.

“I’m sorry," Gerard said, and he really was. He felt bad for waking up Frank now.

Just then, Frank realized that it was Gerard sitting on his bed, not his mother.

“It’s you," He smiled. “Don’t worry about waking me up. I don’t mind. C’mere," He said, pulling Gerard close and giving him a quick kiss.

“How’d you sleep?" Gerard asked.

Frank shrugged. “As good as I normally do. Why?”

Gerard fished his hoodie out from under the blankets. Frank’s entire face and chest turned the shade of a tomato, and he buried his face in his hands in embarrassment.

Gerard laughed, and pried Frank’s hands away from his face. “This is the hoodie I gave you that day your father came to see you.”

“True," Frank mumbled, staring at the floor.

“You still have it.”

“Also true.”

“You sleep with it," Gerard said, smiling.

Frank ripped the hoodie from his hands and stuffed it under his pillow. “Yeah. So?" He said, standing and crossing his arms. “It reminds me of you. And... and it smells like you. I sleep with it every night. It keeps nightmares away.”

“Really?" Gerard asked, and now he was blushing, too.

Frank nodded, and Gerard kissed the tip of his nose. “That’s the most adorable thing I’ve ever heard.”

Frank shrugged again. “It’s true.”

“Doesn’t make it any less cute.”

Frank turned up half his mouth in a smirk. “I suppose I should get dressed," He said, wrapping his arms around Gerard’s neck. Gerard wrapped his arms around Frank’s waist.

“If you must.”

“You know, in order for me to get dressed, you need to let me go.”

“No deal!" Gerard said, and jumped into Frank’s bed, pulling him with him.

“What do you wanna do today?" Frank asked.

Gerard shrugged. “I actually should probably be home. I’m pretty sure I have homework.”

“Fuck!" Frank yelled as he almost jumped off the bed. Gerard sat up as Frank started digging through his backpack.

“Big assignment?" Gerard guessed.

“You have no idea! I’ve got this whole huge essay I need to write about fucking Hamlet, and I haven’t even finished the play.”

“Relax, Frank. I read it twice last year. I’ll help you.”

Frank stood. “Why on Earth would you read it twice?”

“British Literature and Creative Writing. It’s one of those things that if you’re not into it, you won’t understand it. I take it you’re not really into Shakespeare?" He asked, raising an eyebrow and smiling.

Frank rolled his eyes.

~~~~

“To be, or not to be, that is the question:
Whether 'tis Nobler in the mind to suffer
The Slings and Arrows of outrageous Fortune,
Or to take Arms against a Sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them: to die, to sleep
No more; and by a sleep, to say we end
The Heart-ache, and the thousand Natural shocks
That Flesh is heir to? 'Tis a consummation
Devoutl–“

“Wait, wait, wait!”

Gerard groaned and threw his head back. “You can’t just stop me in the middle of Hamlet’s soliloquy! This is one of the most famous monologues ever written!”

“I’m confused," Frank said, pouting.

Gerard hopped off the coffee table, where he was performing, and sat down next to Frank.

“Ok, so in this monologue, Hamlet’s talking to himself. The ‘To be, or not to be,is really ‘To live or not to live. Hamlet’s talking to himself about whether he wants to commit suicide or not. So the whole monologue is the pros and cons of both.”

“Why does he wanna commit suicide?" Frank mumbled around the pen he was gnawing on.

“Because he doesn’t know if the ghost of his father is his actual father, and if it is, he’s got all this responsibility. He’s first gotta find out if his Claudius is guilty, and if he is, he’s gotta kill him. He’s not sure it’s worth it, so part of him wants to end his life.”

Frank smirked. “Maybe he should confess his love to the neighbor boy, and he won’t wanna commit suicide anymore," He said with a sly smile to Gerard.

Gerard smiled and nuzzled his nose into Frank’s neck.

“Worked for me," He whispered in Frank’s ear.

Frank turned his head and captured Gerard’s lips in a quick kiss.

Linda walked in the door as they separated. “Hello, boys.”

“Hi, Mom," Frank said.

Gerard waved and smiled, trying not to squirm. He’d never shown affection to Frank in front of Linda. He didn’t know how she was gonna react to them kissing or holding hands. He was almost sure she wouldn’t care, but he was still apprehensive about it.

“Whatcha doing?" She asked as she walked into the living room, looming over the notes Frank had been taking on Gerard’s performances.

“Gerard’s acting out Hamlet for me cuz I’ve got an essay due tomorrow.”

“That’s nice of him.”

Frank snuck a look at Gerard, and noticed that he was stiff. Gerard didn’t notice he was leaning in until suddenly Frank’s lips were against his own. He felt Frank’s lips turn up in a smile, and he parted. Linda was still standing next to them, but her face was unchanged. She was completely unfazed by them kissing in front of her. Gerard relaxed a bit.

“What’s for dinner?" Frank asked nonchalantly.

“Chili," She said as she made her way back towards the kitchen.

“Can I make it?”

“Finish your homework!”

“Damn," Frank muttered, picking up his pen again.

~~~~

Five hours, a six-pack of Dr. Pepper, two bowls of vegetarian chili each, a quick clean-up when Frank chewed all the way through a pen, and six pee breaks (one for Gerard, two for Frank and three for Sinatra) later, Frank had a Gerard-approved essay about Hamlet and his changing relationships throughout the course of the play.

“It’s okay?" Frank asked, chewing on a new pen nervously.

“It’s really good," Gerard said, feeling like a college professor. He had read through and proofreaded Frank’s essay twice, and he was almost certain he couldn’t have written it better himself.

“You were a huge help. Thanks," Frank said as he crawled over to the chair Gerard was sitting in. He leaned up just enough so that his lips could reach Gerard’s.

“You’re welcome," Gerard said against Frank’s lips.

Frank crawled even closer until he was kneeling between Gerard’s legs. He set a hand on Gerard’s neck, keeping him close. He just started to part his lips when Gerard pulled away.

“I should go.”

Frank looked a little upset, but backed away. “All right. I’ll see you in the morning.”

Gerard slipped his shoes on, and kissed Frank once more before he walked out the door. He didn’t look back, but he had a feeling that Frank was watching him.

Gerard hoped that his hasty leaving didn’t give Frank the wrong idea. He loved Frank, he really did. But he was scared to death of taking the relationship any farther. Frank had experience. He’d made out with god only knows how many people, and almost had sex twice. The most Gerard had done was closed-mouth kissing, and that was only with Frank. He sighed as he walked through the front door and down to his basement. It wasn’t like Frank was gonna dump him because he was inexperienced, but still. Gerard was afraid of getting intimate with Frank and looking like a fool because he didn’t know how to French.

He buried his face in his pillow and groaned.