Status: Completed <3

Never Stop Believing

o1/o1

"Austin?"

"Emily."

"Do you have to go on tour?" I asked, looking over at my best friend since third grade.

He sighed, running his inked fingers through his hair before looking at me. "It's not really a tour, Em. We're just opening up for a couple of bands in Cali and then we'll be back. It'll be like a week, at least...why?"

"No reason. I'll just miss you." I said.

Austin smiled and reached across the bed, pulling me towards him. "Aw, I'll miss you too. I think you're just saying that because you want something though."

"Pizza...but I really will miss you." I said, wiggling out of his arms.

"I'll order a pizza if you'll call Jaysin back and tell him that you'll be home tonight." he said, grabbing his cell phone off of his bedside table.

I made a face and sighed, getting off of his bed. "Fine." I said, walking out of his room. I closed the door behind me and leaned against it as I pulled my cell phone out of my pocket.

Jaysin was my boyfriend of two years. Austin was actually the one who got us together and I wish he hadn't. Austin thought we were perfectly fine, Jay and I, but the truth? We weren't. Jaysin was a nice guy when I first met him but after a year of dating him, his true colors began to show.

He was addicted to drugs. He had been in jail numerous times. He drank whiskey like it was going out of style and we constantly fought...which always ended up in me crying in the fetal position begging him to just kill me so I didn't have to live through this anymore.

But Austin thought we were a happy couple, just like we were the first month of us dating. I put on a fake smile and pretended like everything was peachy but it wasn't. Austin didn't see the bruises or feel the cracked ribs beneath his fingertips. He was too busy to notice that I hadn't slept in over a week, the dark circles under my eyes growing blacker with each passing day.

He was always talking about his band and tour and interviews and things like that. I would just smile and nod and give him the occasional, "That's so awesome, Aus! I'm so happy for you!" and hug him...but on the inside I was screaming for him to pay closer attention.

SAVE ME, DAMMIT.

He never did though. His eyes never locked on the purple and grey bruises on my legs or the yellowish green ones on my arms. Jaysin never hit me in the face. "Your face is too pretty to fuck up." he would say. I would cover it with makeup anyways.

The reason I was at Austin's right now is because Jaysin and I had gotten into a fight. Austin had been trying to get me to go back to his house since I got there. I wanted to tell him...I've always wanted to tell him...but I couldn't. I was scared. My voice wouldn't allow me to speak the words that my mind was screaming at me.

I dialed Jaysin's number and placed my phone to my ear. He was furious when he answered. "Where the fuck are you, Emily?!"

"I'm at Austin's..." I said.

He hesitated before answering. "Why?"

"Because he's my best friend." I said.

"When are you coming home?"

"Tonight..." I said.

"You better because if I have to come find you myself, it won't be pretty for you." he said, before hanging up.

I stuffed my phone back into my pocket, running my hands through my blue and white hair. I was trying not to cry. Austin's bedroom door opened and I quickly wiped away any tears that may have shed.

"Did you call Jay?" he asked.

"Yes. Did you order the pizza?" I asked.

"It's on it's way." he said.

I nodded. "I'll eat some pizza and then go home."

"Don't be mad at me, Emily. You can stay if you want but I figured you'd rather be with your boyfriend." he said.

"I get it. I'm not mad at you." I said.

"You know I love you, right?" he said, giving me one of his goofy smiles.

I nodded. "I love you too." Oh God, did I love him.

Did I forget to mention that I was in love with my best friend? Well, I was. After Jaysin turned into a class A douche, I realized I wasn't in love with him. I was in love with someone else and that someone was Austin Carlile, my best friend since third grade.

He would never feel the same though. There were so many other girls out there that he could date...they were a thousand times prettier than I was. I sighed and sat down on the couch. Austin was about to join me before the doorbell went off. He grabbed his wallet and walked to the door, opening it and paying the pizza man.

We ate our pizza in silence, watching Spongebob on the television. After I had my full, I told Austin I would see him next week. He was leaving for "tour" tomorrow, which was the real reason I think he wanted me to go home, he would never say that though.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

I smiled. "I'm perfectly fine. I'll call you tomorrow, okay?" I said, giving him a hug.

"You better. Drive safe." he said, hugging me back.

~~

When I got back to Jaysin's I pulled my car into the driveway. I got out and walked up to the door, pulling my key out. I put it in the lock and turned it, pushing the door open. The lights were off and it was eerily quiet. "Jaysin?" I called out, swallowing the lump in my throat.

No answer.

I flipped on the light and Jaysin was passed out on the couch, an empty bottle of beer was hanging loosely from his hand. I sighed and walked over, picking up the bottle before going to the kitchen. I tossed it in the trash before walking back through the living room and going upstairs.

I walked into our room and closed the door behind me. I was kind of glad that Jaysin was passed out and not awake...maybe he'd stay like that the rest of the night. I changed out of my clothes and pulled on black sweats and a white tank top.

I pulled our sheets back and climbed into bed, draping them over me. I closed my eyes and was asleep instantly.

My sleep didn't last long. I felt someone pulling me out of the bed and onto the floor. I looked up at Jaysin. "What are you doing?" I asked.

"When did you get home?" he said.

"Like two hours ago...you were passed out...I didn't want to wake you." I said.

Jaysin got up and pulled me up. I looked up at him. "Did you have fun with Austin?" he asked, walking over to the closet.

I sat down on our bed. "We just talked and ate pizza."

"Sure you did." he said.

"Jaysin...can we not argue, please? It's almost midnight and I'm tired and want to go to bed." I said.

"Did you sleep with him?" he asked, looking back at me.

"No! I've never cheated on you and you know that...you on the other hand.." I said.

"What about me, Emily? This isn't about me, it's about you." Jay said, walking towards me.

I scooted back some. "I didn't cheat on you, Jaysin. I never have."

"Whatever." he mumbled, pushing me off the bed.

I laid there on the floor until I was certain he was in bed and then I got up and slid under the covers, turning my back towards him. I didn't go back to sleep. I was too scared.

~~

The week had went by fast and Austin was coming back today. I was excited for two reasons. One, my best friend was coming back home and two, I was going to break up with Jaysin and confess my feelings for Austin.

"Why are you so happy?" Jaysin asked me.

"Austin comes back today." I said.

"You're not going to see him." he said.

"Jay...I haven't seen him since last week." I said, looking at him.

"I don't care. This is my house and while you're living here you'll do as I say or you can get the fuck out." he said.

I opened my mouth to say something but closed it instantly. I wasn't going to fight with him. I wasn't going to ruin my good mood. I turned on my heel and proceeded to walk out of the kitchen but I didn't get far. Jaysin grabbed my arm, spinning me around. "Don't walk away from me."

"I have nothing to say to you." I said.

"Why do you want to see him so bad? It's like you're in love with him." Jaysin said.

I didn't say anything, just stayed quiet and looked past him. Jaysin glared. "What?" I asked.

"You're in love with him, aren't you?!" he screamed.

"I didn't say that, you did." I said.

He raised his hand and smacked me across the face, knocking me down on my ass. I stood back up and pushed him as hard as I could. This was the first time I have stood up to him. He glared at me and punched me in the stomach. I doubled over, coughing.

He didn't say anything, just grabbed me by my hair, throwing me to the ground, and then dragging me into the living room. As I kicked up at him, almost hitting him in the groin, my phone went off. I knew it was Austin calling. He was back in town and probably wanted to hang out. I couldn't though. I wasn't going to be alive after today, I knew it.

Jaysin straddled me and pinned my arms down above my head. "I don't know what's gotten in to you, Emily...but you better knock it off, right the fuck now." he hissed.

"Get off of me!" I screamed, trying to move my arms.

He stood up and kicked me in the side, causing me to roll over, my back to him. He kicked me hard in my back and it arched. Jaysin reached down and pulled my sweat pants off, exposing my scarred legs. Some of them were self inflicted but most of them were from Jaysin. I had bruises, new and old, most of them were on my knees from him forcing me to my knees to give him a blowjob.

I heard him pulling his belt off and tried to scoot away. He stomped on my stomach, causing me to stop. He snapped the belt, the noise making me jump. My phone went off again as he slapped the leather down onto my pale thighs, causing me to scream.

"You deserve this, Emily." Jay said, slapping the belt down on my thighs and legs.

"Please stop...please!" I begged, tears streaming down my swollen face.

He didn't though. He continued slapping my legs with the belt until I red welts covering them. He pulled me to my feet and I had to lean against him to keep myself from falling. He shoved me onto the couch, trying to get my underwear off while also trying to pull his jeans and boxers off at the same time. He wanted sex and I didn't.

"Stop!" I screamed, trying to hit him in the face.

I got one hit in before he punched me in the mouth, blood pouring down my chin and onto my white shirt. "You little bitch!" he hissed, throwing me on the floor and grabbing my wrists, pinning them above my head with one hand. He undid his jeans and was just about to pull them off when the doorbell rang.

"Emily? It's Austin!" my best friend's worried voice came from the other side.

"Don't you dare move." Jaysin said, getting off of me.

He fixed his jeans before walking over to the door. He opened it but not all the way, only a little so he could stick his head out. "Hey Austin."

"Where's Emily?"

"She's sleeping."

"Can I come in?"

"No. I just told you she was sleeping." Jay replied.

"Alright...well...tell her I came by, okay?" Austin said.

This was my only chance. If I didn't call for him, Jaysin was going to kill me. "AUSTIN!" I screamed as loud as I could, praying he was still in hearing range.

He was. "I thought you said she was asleep."

"She was but you probably woke her up." my boyfriend said.

"Austin! He's trying to kill me!" I screamed again. I had rolled over onto my stomach but that was as much as I could do. I could barely move, my body was too sore and I was ninety nine percent certain that he broke one of my ribs.

"Move, Jaysin." Austin demanded.

"No. This is my house. If you don't leave I'll call the police and have you arrested for trespassing." Jay argued with him.

I watched Austin push the door all the way open and pushing past my boyfriend. His eyes locked with mine and he was at my side in minutes. "Emily..." his voice was cracking. I looked away from him.

He stood back up. "Austin...don't go..." I pleaded.

"What the fuck did you do to her?!" he shouted at Jaysin.

"The little bitch deserved it." my boyfriend said.

I looked up, watching as Austin punched my boyfriend in the face, shoving him into the wall. Jaysin tried to fight back but Austin was stronger. He had him to the ground in moments and was punching him in the face repeatedly. When Jay stopped moving, he got up, his chest heaving up and down, blood dripping from his knuckles.

He walked over to me, bending down and picking me up. I wrapped my arms around his neck, nuzzling my face into the crook of it. "I'm sorry...I wanted to tell you a long time ago..."

"You have nothing to be sorry about. I'm the one who should be sorry. I never paid attention to the signs...I should have known something was wrong. I love you, Emmy." he whispered.

I looked up at him. "I love you too...but you love me a different way.."

"No. I've been in love with you for four years, even before you started dating that asshole. I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I was just afraid you would reject me because we've been friends for so long and I didn't want to ruin our friendship." he said, a tear sliding down his cheek.

I reached up, wiping the tear away with my thumb. "I would have never rejected you, Austin. You complete me."

He leaned down, kissing my swollen lips. I kissed him back, more tears falling from my eyes. He was crying too, I didn't know if it was because he finally confessed his love for me or if the sight of me, beaten and bruised, scared him. I may never know because I didn't want to ask. I have only seen Austin cry once in his life and now twice.

"Remember, that storms don't last forever." he whispered in my ear before pulling me close to his chest and walking out of Jaysin's house.

As soon as we were in the car, Austin drove me to the hospital. We explained to the nurse that my ex boyfriend had beaten me and I was afraid he might have broken a rib or two. I was right; kind of. He didn't break a rib, he fractured two of them.

The police showed up to ask me some questions. I explained to them what happened and how Austin saved me. I gave them Jaysin's address and they said they would stop by and get his side of the story. I thanked the officers and they walked out as Austin walked in.

"They said you can leave."

"Are we going to your house?"

"Yeah. You're going to be my new roommate."

I smiled and changed back into my clothes. Austin took my hand as we walked out of the hospital. I was finally going to be happy.