Status: Active

Drunk

Chapter 08

“I can keep a secret if you can keep me guessing. The flavor of your lips is enough to keep me present.”


Some people are magnets. They draw everyone in and no matter where they are or what they're doing all the energy in the room orbits them. They are the kind of people you don't even know but you want to be friends with them. You just want to stand next to them and feel it.

Kingsley was without a doubt a magnet. It never ceased to amaze me how despite her obvious dislike for almost everyone and disinterest in everything they had to say people still liked her and they still wanted to talk to her.

She invited me to a party at her place after I walked her back to Chop Shop earlier under the stipulations that I took the long sleeves off and didn't wear the 'scarf thing' I knew she secretly thought was hot. I had rolled my eyes and thrown a maybe to her even though we both knew good and well I would be there. I was no different than anyone else. I was drawn to her all the same, if not more.

When I walked through the door, Kingsley looked as if she wasn't near as drunk as she'd like to have been. She was surrounded by a few people telling a story that she appeared utterly bored with and when she spotted me, you would've thought she found the winning numbers to the lottery rather than an exit from a conversation she didn't want to be in.

I watched as she dismissed herself under the pretense she just had to come greet me. She walked straight up to me and laced her fingers right through mine absolutely beaming at me.

"Finally, someone who isn't positively boring."

I tried to hide my smile at the fact that Kingsley set me apart from other people. It was small and probably silly but it felt like progress. It felt like an acknowledgment that I wasn't just someone to talk to because I was conveniently there. I was someone to be sought out.
She was already dragging me to the alcohol.

"You looked like you were having so much fun." I teased.

She rolled her eyes at me. "I was contemplating shooting my foot off just for an excuse to go to the hospital."

Ever the dramatic.

"Oi! And get blood on the carpet?"

"Would've been worth it." She shrugged before grabbing two red cups and scooping ice into them then filling them about a quarter of the way with Jack and the rest of the way with coke. She then hopping up on the counter seating herself right next to them.

"You need therapy." I informed her with a small smile and a shake of my head.
"You're cheaper." She quipped back taking a long sip of her drink.

"At least buy me dinner, Kingsley."

She grabbed one of the cups off the counter and shoved it at me. "Have a few drinks and you won't be concerned with dinner."

"I'm feeling slightly objectified."

Was she flirting back with me? This was new. Normally she would roll her eyes or ignore me. I had a feeling the new found comfort with me had something to do with the fact that she had laid her rules out pertaining to what we were doing and I had agreed. That and the fact she just drank an entire jack and coke in three minutes flat and was already starting on another.

So I mustered some bravery and moved to stand between her legs and plant my hands flat on the counter on either side of her bum. I expected her to push me away or dodge me in some way. We had never done this in front of people.

But she just smirked at me as I took another sip of my drink eyeing her carefully.

"You wouldn't know the meaning of the word."

"I do to." I faked a pout. "Can spell it as well."

I expected Kingsley to challenge me. To ask me to spell and define the term objectify right then and there but instead she tossed her empty cup into the bin and grabbed mine downing half of it in a sip and setting it on the counter beside her. She turned back to me with her eyebrows raised leaning a little closer to me than before.

I could smell her familiar scent of jack and menthol that seemed to seep from her pores even when she hadn't drank. I knew what she was doing. Like another game of chicken, she was testing me. She wanted me to kiss her and god, I wanted to kiss her but for once I wouldn't be the one to make the move. I needed her to give something. To admit in some small nonverbal way that she wanted this too.

I could feel her breath across my face and I watched as her honey brown eyes flicked from my eyes to my lips and black. I could see it in the set of her brows she was getting frustrated with me and only a second later, I watched her face shift and I was sure she'd given up.

"Get a room!" I heard Caleb shout from behind us and I mentally cursed him a thousand different ways because with Kingsley sitting on this counter in front me and her breath in my face and her head just slightly tilting to accommodate my features about to kiss me I had forgotten that there were even other people in the room.

---

"Disproportionate snowman." Kingsley offered, pointing to a rather pale girl in the corner of her living room.

"Snowmen aren't animals." I pointed out.

We were sat on the leather sofa in her living room attempting to name what animal each person looked like. Something I'd noticed about Kingsley was even though she generally disliked people, she loved to watch them. It felt like we were in our own bubble on the couch just watching everyone as they were oblivious to us milling about with their drinks.

"Fine." she conceded. "A disproportionate polar bear."

"Cruel." I stated shaking my head slightly and looking down at the drink in my lap.

"Who is that pale in California Harry?"

"Someone with an iron deficiency."

"Smart ass." She quipped turning to face me and folding her legs in front of her. "What animal do I remind you of?"

"A frog."

Her mouth formed an O and I realized how sort of mean that sounded but really there aren't many nice ways to compare someone to an animal.

"Not like that." I defended. I thought for a moment she might slap me. "Like the cute frogs on cartoons."
"A cute frog." She repeated slowly. Looking like she didn't quite buy it. "Like from cartoons."

"Hush Kingsley we both know I think you're gorgeous."

I spoke the words quickly without thinking how something like that could damage our progress and I watched as her eyes got wide and she glanced around nervously, no doubt looking for an escape but when she opened her mouth to offer me an excuse I cut her off.

"What animal do I remind you of?"

"A puppy." She says without much thought as if she's contemplated this before.

"What kind of puppy?" I ask smiling that she took the bait and didn't leave.

She thought about it for a moment tipping her head to the side.

"The kind you get because it's cute but it chews up all your shoes and sheds all over your house and you can't train it for anything and you want to return it or bring it back where you got it but you just can't."

I meant what breed but I liked the way she answered much better and I couldn't help the smile that spread across my face.

She took a deep breath glancing away. "I'm going to get a refill. I'll be right back." Even though I didn't plan on drinking more I handed her my cup so I could be sure she'd come back.
I leaned back into the couch and crossed my arms over my stomach closing my eyes for just a moment. After a few minutes, Kingsley still hadn't returned so I opened my eyes to glance around the room to see if I could spot her when I noticed a tray of brownies half gone sat on the coffee table right in front of me.

I was popping the last bite in my mouth and contemplating grabbing another when I finally spotted Kingsley strolling in my direction with two red cups in her hand and eyes wide set on my hand as I reached for a second brownie.

She set the cups down on the table and grabbed my wrist as the brownie hovered right before my lips. She sat down next to me slowly with her hand still on my wrist.

"Harry," She started calmly speaking slowly. "Have you ever smoked pot before?"

"No." I said furrowing my brows and glancing around for that Ashton bloke slightly agitated that she would bring up drugs and wondering if she was planning on smoking "And no I wouldn't like to try it."
She laughed lightly at this, covering her mouth with her small hand.

It was this point when things started to slow and move a little out of focus as my agitation seeped away.

"How many of those brownies have you eaten?"

"One?"
She took the brownie from my hand and that's about when it clicked and my eyes bugged a little.
"Well then, you just ingested it but no worries you didn't smoke it." She said, biting her lip to try to hide a smile.

I tried to be aggravated that she thought this was funny but laughed in spite of myself.
I turned myself around placing my head in her lap so I could stretch out my legs, but the couch was rather small and my legs are abnormally long and they ended up hanging over the arm rest but, as soon as Kingsley's fingers made their way to my hair I couldn't be assed to move even when people kept bumping into my feet as they passed.

"Leave you for five minutes and you're over here taking drugs." She teased, softly shaking her head and the motion made me a little dizzy so I just closed my eyes and smiled up at her.

"Your breath smells like pot brownie." She informed me.

"And yours always smells like cigarettes and liquor but s'okay, I like it." I admitted.

I peeked through one of my eyes to catch her smiling.

"But seriously Curly, they didn't taste funny?"

I shrugged lazily. "I just assumed you cooked them."

She giggled a little and sort of swatted me. I liked this new Kingsley that flirted back.

"How are you feeling?" she asked leaning down a little so I could hear her.

"Tired, maybe a little hungry, and a lot like I wanna kiss you." I mumbled and she shook her head giggling a little. She was absolutely adorable.

"Pizza?" She suggested and I began to wonder if she ate anything other than pizza and pot brownies.
I shook my head slowly and closed my eyes for a second till i felt her pushing me to stand. She pulled me by the hand into the kitchen a sat me at the table directly across the table from a couple that was sat at one of the chairs eating each other's faces.

I glanced at Kingsley uncomfortably. That wasn't what I wanted to eat watching.

She cleared her throat and when they didn't respond, she chucked a napkin at them. Once she had their attention, she kindly informed them there was a toilet off the living room and a supply closet under the stairs if they were too intoxicated to make it into a car but they in fact could not shag on her kitchen chair. They seemed annoyed but left all the same.

I watched her as she removed a box of left over pizza from the fridge. She heated me two pieces and sat across from me while I ate and when I finished she threw the plate in the sink.

"'m tired come upstairs with me till I fall asleep?" She nodded slowly and I took her hand and pulled her up the stairs with me heading to the guest room having remembered our conversation at lunch.
I pulled her into the room and closed the door. She tried to continue into the room but I used my hold on her hand to pull her back until she stumbled into my chest and turned her around so that her back was against the door.

She looked up at me with one of her hands still in mine and the other at her side while my spare hand was sat on her waist.

She wanted to kiss me and I could tell but I still wanted her to act on it. I smiled leaning in so that my lips barely brushed against hers.

We sat there for a moment in silence teasing and testing each other until I finally gave in. I pulled my hand from hers and brought it to cup her cheek before closing the almost nonexistent gap between our bodies and pressing my lips to hers. I let my hand slide down her arm so that both my hands where gripping her waist pulling her into me.

She responded immediately pushing on her toes to meet me easier and knotting her fingers in my hair tugging lightly on the ends. I groaned into her mouth running my tongue over her lower lip and slipping my tongue into her mouth moving my lips with hers.

I pulled away for a second panting slightly and trying to reign myself in as I could feel an issue in my pants and I honestly wasn't trying to have sex with her but after a second Kingsley pulled me back in holding to me even closer than before and sliding her tongue back into my mouth as I pressed her further into the door.

Her hands left my hair to slide under my shirt and slip all the way up till they rested on my chest for a moment.

I felt her hands slide back down my chest and grab the bottom of my shirt before pulling it up until I had to pull my lips from hers and assist her in taking it off. I was pressed back to her before the shirt even hit the floor.

My heart was beating so loudly in my chest I was sure she could hear it in the dark quite room and I could barely keep my breath. So I wasn't trying to have sex with her but if she was trying to have sex with me I don't know if I even wanted to stop her this time.

Her hands ran over my stomach my chest and my ribs exploring the newly exposed skin as I slowly slid one of my hands under the loose t shirt she was wearing to sit on her ribs and let the thumb of my other hand slip just under the waist band of the shorts she was wearing at the hip. I moved the hand that was resting on her ribs to her back and up to the clasp of her bra and unclipped it after a moment of fumbling.

"Kingsley! You better not be passed out up there already! We're about to play Never Have I Ever!"

Fucking Caleb. Was an ignorant drinking game really that important?