The Only Exception.

Three.

I woke up to Marianna jumping onto my bed.

"Hey, wake up," she said.

I groaned, "What?"

"Did you know the boys are in a band?"

"What are they called?"

"5 Seconds of Summer."

"I've heard the name, never heard the music."

"They're really good actually."

"Let me guess," I said into the pillow, "Luke is the vocalist."

"Well they all kind of sing, but Luke is considered the front man yes. Why?"

"You have a thing for singers."

"And you have had a thing for drummers since you were 14."

"What's your point?"

"Ashton's the drummer."

"Great thanks for making me more sexually frustrated than his dimples already make me."

"Come on, get up, you've got to go swimming before we can hang out with the guys or your whole day will be messed up."

"Okay okay, leave my room now."

She got off my bed and left. I checked the time. It was 6:30 in the morning. I groaned and got out of bed, getting my bag ready and changing before longboarding down to the gym again and swimming for a couple hours before going home. I took a shower and changed. I blow dried my hair then went downstairs when I was completely ready. I ate then the doorbell rang. I walked to the door and opened it. The boys stood there.

"Hey, come on in," I said.

I closed the door behind them.

"Marianna!" I called out.

"She locked herself in her room, your father called her and they got into an argument," my mum said as she came into the kitchen where we stood.

I sighed, "If I can't get her out, do I have permission to kick the door in?"

"If you're worried that..." my mom stopped and just looked at the counter, "Where's the..."

"Fuck," I said running up the stairs and started banging on the door, "Marianna open the fucking door!"

I didn't hear anything by the time the others got up the stairs.

"Do not come into this room until I tell you to," I said to the guys, who just nodded as I stepped back, lifted my leg and kicked the door in.

Marianna laid on her bed with blood on her thighs.

"Shit shit shit!" I said, grabbing a towel from her floor and wrapping it around her leg and tying it to stop the bleeding, "Mom call the ambulance now!"

"Marianna," I said, checking her pulse, "Marianna don't do this to me."

I heard the ambulance come up and they came upstairs. I left the room.

"God why did she do this?" Mum asked as we stood outside.

"I don't know but we're about to find out," I said as our dad's car pulled around the corner and up the street.

"What the hell is he doing here?" she asked.

"Mum, go in the ambulance with Mari, I'll handle this okay?"

"Take care of her," she said to the boys, who nodded as she climbed into the back of the ambulance.

It drove away as my dad pulled up.

"Was Marianna in there?!" he said as he got out of his car.

"What the fuck did you do this time?"

"What makes you think that I did this?!"

"Because it's what you always do! Every time you talk to either of us anymore all you do is argue with us and make us feel like shit! Well if you wanted to make one of your daughters seriously try to kill herself you fucking succeeded because she fucking tried really hard!"

"Don't act like this is my fault Callie!"

"How is it not your God damn fault?!"

"Maybe it's your mothers fault! Or maybe it's your fault! Maybe she was tired of having a stupid whore for an older sister!"

I swung one punch and he was on the ground and I was being lifted off the ground by Ashton.

"This is your fucking fault!" I yelled, "Everything is your fault! You are the reason for everything bad that's ever happened in our lives! Leave and don't ever come back or talk to us ever again!"

He got off the ground and spit blood at the cement before turning and getting back in his car and driving away. Ashton set me back down on the ground as soon as he was out of sight.

"Fuck," I said, turning and going into the house.

I grabbed my purse and locked the front door. We all got into the car and Ashton made me let him drive to the hospital.

"God your knuckles are all bloody," Michael said, examining my hand.

"I'll be alright," I said.

She was up in the psychiatric ward, where she'd have to be monitored for a week. We all sat down around her bed. She was stable now, but asleep. I looked around the room, there was a guitar just outside the room.

"Ash bring me that guitar," I said.

He stood and grabbed it before handing it to me and sitting back down next to me. I stuck my hand into my shirt and pulled a pick out of my bra.

"God you can keep everything in there," Calum said.

"It's basically like a second wallet," I said.

I started playing and singing Don't Leave Me by Blink 182, and once Ashton caught on her started drumming it on his seat. As we finished the song, Marianna's eyes opened. She looked around.

"Where am I?" she asked, "Oh God am I dead?"

"No," I said, "You're in the hospital. You were close though. Marianna what were you thinking?"

"I was thinking it always seemed to help you when you were unhappy.."

I grabbed onto her hands and kissed them.

"Marianna, don't do anything that I do when I'm upset or angry or unhappy. All that does is get you into trouble. You're the good daughter, remember?"

"Not according to dad..."

"Fuck him, dude. Who cares what he says anymore. Whatever he said to you, forget it."

"He called me a stupid whore like my stupid whore sister and my stupid whore mother."

"Well your stupid whore sister punched our stupid whore dad in the face earlier."

"Wait seriously?" Mum asked.

"I've wanted to do it since I was 13 years old you cannot be mad at me for actually doing it," I said.

"I'm not, I'm just surprised is all."

"Yeah, it was a good punch too," Luke said.

"I would've cried," Calum said.

"I almost did," Michael said.

I rolled my eyes and looked at Marianna.

"Who cares if he doesn't care about us anymore Mari? I don't. Look at who is in this room right now. These are the people that matter now. Whether we just met most of them 2 days ago or not doesn't matter. Because they matter to us and we matter to them. That's what makes the difference. Even if someday they'll go off and tour and get pretty little girlfriends with different accents and tacky hair extensions who can't surf to save their lives and forget all about us because they think we haven't figured everything out yet and just haven't told us."

"Oh right," Ashton said, "By the way."

"Yeah you'll answer for your crimes later," I said to him.

Marianna smiled.

"You can't let this happen again Mari, they'll never let you out of here if you don't really commit to this."

"It won't happen again, I'm sorry."

I leaned over and hugged her.

"You kids should head back home," Mum said.

"I don't want to leave, if you don't mind," Luke said.

She smiled and nodded, "That's alright."

I hugged my mom after kissing Marianna's forehead and dropped Michael and Calum off at Michael's parent's for dinner before taking Ashton back home.

"Wanna come over?" he asked.

I smiled, "Sure."

We went into his house and I laid down on his bed.

"So, when were you planning on telling me about the band?" I asked him.

"Whenever I thought that you had figured it out already. Which didn't work out the way I planned," he said.

"Sweetie, I figured it out the second I met you. I've heard of you guys, I haven't heard you guys, it was complicated and I didn't find it necessary to bring it up at the time because I wasn't sure of anything at that point. I didn't really know until this morning when Marianna woke me up and told me."

"Well, now you know," he said laying next to me.

"So, when's the next time you lads leave and forget all about me?"

He laughed, "I don't think I'll forget you. And Luke definitely won't forget Marianna. But we don't leave for a few more months."

I nodded, "That's what you think, that you won't forget me. But when all those girls are trying to grab at your junk, you'll be like Callie who?"

He laughed and held up his pinky, "I pinky promise I won't forget you."

I looked at him and locked my pinky with his.

"You better be serious about this because I might be turning 20 soon but I'm dead serious about pinky promises," I said.

"I am serious. I'll even send you videos and pictures and text you all the time while I'm gone and I'll call you at night if I'm able."

"Good. And I hope you know I'll probably break into this house and sleep in your bed when things get lonely."

"I'll leave you a spare key then," he smiled.

I smiled and rolled over, putting my face in his pillow. I didn't want to think of the way he made me feel. It was just a physical attraction, and that was completely new to me. I'd never been emotionally attracted or attached to anyone like the way I felt to him after only 2 days of knowing him.

It scared me a bit.
♠ ♠ ♠
rec, comment, subscribe??

xoxoxoxo