‹ Prequel: Jade Gilbert

The Lucky and the Damned

Going Insane: Part Two: Shadow

It has been almost two weeks since that incident. My bedroom remained empty apart from my lap top and ordered a few things on line to keep my head clear. Damon hadn't talked to me since the day I burned everything in my room apart from my lap top. I don't know why the Shadow part of me did that, but when it took over I could even find myself until Damon knocked me over.

I was scared because sometimes I would find myself in my room either working out with the equipment I had ordered or I would find myself in a totally different town lurking in the shadows. I swear I was going insane. I also haven't seen that shadow that was next to the destroyed building I was experimented in.

I would lock myself in my room and try to find out ways I can try to control the Shadow part of me. I have blocked everyone out. I was too afraid to look them in the eyes and be Jade Gilbert one minute and Shadow the next. I had this bar in my room hanging from my ceiling that I use to work out. I do pull ups with either hands or sometimes one. I also hang up side down on it and do sit ups. I don't sleep…I was too scared to. I didn't want another nightmare. I didn't want to lose myself completely.

I heard a knock on my door and found my instincts kicking in. I grabbed a stake from my closet and walked to wards my door before unlocking it and opening it hiding the stake behind my door. Elena was standing there. I rolled my eyes and sighed.

"I think I am either A going to get a camera and TV to see who it is b pout a peephole in my door or c I'll move out," I told her walking back over to my bar. I threw the stake at my bedroom wall and it pierced it nicely. I hopped on my bar holding myself up by my legs before I started doing sit ups.

"Why haven't you come out?" she asked me.

"You know exactly why," I growled at her as I kept going.

"You only slipped up once."

"I have been slipping up these past two weeks Elena."

"What?"

"I find myself waking up as Jade Gilbert in random towns far from Mystic Falls. I turn into Shadow at Night. I haven't slept so it takes over randomly," I told her before hopping off the bar.

"But you still wake up," she told me hope was laced in her voice.

"I might disappear for a few days or weeks," I told her after a pregnant silence.

"Where are you going?" she asked me.

"Texas," I told her as I pulled on a jacket.

"You're not leaving now are you?" she asked me.

I gave her a glare and said, "That part of me, Shadow right now is telling me to rip you limb from limb. The sooner I leave the better."

"So that's it then you going to leave for god know how long-what about me? What about Jeremy? What about Damon?" She threw in the last one to see if I would change my mind automatically.

"I AM TRYING TO PROTECT YOU!" I roared at her. She stumbled back and fell on her ass cowering. I turned and punched several holes in my wall. When I got angry it was even more dangerous because Shadow can easily take control because that is when I am at my weakest.

I took in deep breaths before I slowly turned and saw horror on her face. I walked passed her and out the bedroom doors before I continued down the stairs at a quick pace. I walked towards my car and got in before starting it up and driving away quickly. I saw Elena running out from the house and running after my car before she stopped and just watched my car.

I pulled out my phone and dialed up Haley and it rang for a few moments before she picked it up.

"I was wondering when you were going to call," she spoke into her phone.

"I am losing it Haley," I told her as I had my right hand on the wheel and my right arm resting on the window sill of the car with my hand holding the phone to my ear.

"I am trying my best to find out what I can from that place that had burned down," Haley said with a sigh.

"That's why I am on my way there to get away from here," I told her.

"What?!" she yelled into the phone.

"I have to Hale the last thing I need is to hurt my family," I told her. I heard muffled noises in the background.

"Haley?" I asked.

"Yeah?" she asked.

I rolled my eyes and looked at my phone before hanging up. It was then I saw the figure in the road. It was the one I saw at the building. I couldn't turn the wheel in time and I hit the person. My car flipped in the air severs times before rolling violently on its side. The car stopped when it landed upside down. When I opened my eyes the figure was no longer there. It was night time. I was hanging upside down in the car. Thank god for my seatbelt. I looked for my phone and saw it was within reach. I slowly reached for it, my hand was shaking. I wrapped my hand around it before hitting one of my emergency contact numbers. I hit send and it was then that I looked towards my left and saw a face right in front of mine, it was covered by a mask and I screamed.

The figure grabbed me and threw me out of the car breaking the seat belt straps in the process. I fell roughly to the ground in a heap. My phone slid on the pavement. I quickly crawled towards it. I saw that I called Stefan.

"Stefan!" I yelled at my phone hoping he could hear me. I heard his muffled voice on the other side. I grabbed my phone.

"Stefan, help me!" I cried into the phone.

"Jade?! Where are you?!" he panicked.

"Outside of Mystic Falls the main road," I told him before I was in midair again before crying out in pain as I landed on my car and rolled off the car and landed in a heap on the ground.

"This surely wasn't the Shadow I created," a deep voice came from the masked figure.

"I'm not the Shadow you created. Shadow is long gone," I growled as I spit blood. The figure hopped on top of the car and glared down at me in an attacking position.

"Such a pity," he mocked.

I felt a wave of pain roll through my side and I hissed at it. I clutched my side.

"You created me, Cress, but you became the monster you created me to kill," I told him.

"It wasn't like I had a choice," he hissed poking me up with his long arm and tossing me again. I landed on the ground roughly. I wasn't healing. Shadow was like a tiger trapped in the zoo, it was riled up and was pacing along the bars of its cage ready to break out and fight.

I didn't know why I wasn't fighting back. Maybe it was just Shadow who knew how to fight a vampire and not Jade Gilbert.

"You make me sick," I growled at him.

"Good because you make me sick by looking at my experiment gone to waist."

He kicked me in the side sending me rolling a couple of times on the ground.

"Come on let Shadow come out to play," he pushed as he kicked me again.

"No," I said trying to catch my breath.

"It has to be there. Taking control of you now and then. Let Shadow loose," he grabbed me by my neck and held me up in the air. Where the hell was Stefan? How many roads were in Mystic falls that lead out of the town? Okay like five, but still!

"No," I spat at him. His grip tightened on my neck closing my airway.

"Let Shadow out!"

I was losing consciousness and I closed my eyes. Feeling the Darkness start to consume me. Just let me die.

Damon's POV:

I know I over reacted when she hadn't told me she was human again, but I was just too pissed to care. She told her friends before she told me that she was human. Human. It's still hard to wrap my mind around.

"Damon we have a problem," Stefan said quickly walking in and stands behind me. I was sitting in a chair already on my eighteenth glass of bourbon.

"I told you any problem of yours is not one of mine," I said as I took another sip out of my bourbon.

"Even if the problem was Jade?" he asked me. I snapped my head around and looked at him.

I just gave myself away but I got up downing my glass and shrugged saying, "She's no longer my problem."

Stefan shook his head glaring at me.

"Someone is attacking her as we speak!" he yelled at me.

I stared at the wall and stiffly shrugged my shoulders.

"Like I said, she is no longer my problem," I said turning to look at him.

"She could die Damon!"

"So why are you still here if you care so much?"

"Why are you pretending like she means less then shit to you?" he retorted.

"She fought for you even after she found out about you and Elena kissing and you're just going to give up on her just because she didn't tell you she was human again! She gave up so much for you! What did you give up for her?!" he roared before he disappeared from the room. I sighed knowing he was right. I placed my glass on the table and grabbed my leather jacket off the back of the couch before racing out of the house.

Jade's POV:

I felt him release me and I landed in a heap on the ground. HE disappeared from sight and I knew he sensed another vampire coming and decided to run instead of fighting. I didn't move I was hurting too much to move. I was on my side and I spat up blood.

"Jade?" I heard a familiar voice calling.

"Stefan!" I cried out.

He was next to me in a split second. His eyes looking at the damage.

"Where is he?" he asked.

I shook my head and said, "He took off the moment he caught your scent."

He nodded his head and lifted my upper half slightly. I winced and he stopped moving me.

"What hurts?" he asked me.

"Careful Stefan," I told him taking in a deep breath, "I might actually start thinking you turned your emotion back on and started caring."

He smirked before shaking his head, "Klaus freed me from his servitude last week at the Tyler Lockwood Mansion from saving him."

I looked at him surprised.

"So you turned them back on?" I asked with a smile.

"Not fully," he told me.

"I'd rather have this Stefan then asshole who took your place before," I told him wanting to hug him.

"Well right now, we should worry about you," he told me.

He was about to lift me up, but was tackled to the ground by Cress. My head hit the ground, but I didn't care. I have to help Stefan. I did the one thing I didn't want to at that moment. I let Shadow out of its cage. I healed almost instantly everything injured or broken healed or even popped back in place. I hopped off the ground and tore Cress of Stefan who had a stake lodged into his abdomen. I gripped it before tugging it out of his body with ease. Cress got up off the ground.

"You wanted Shadow? Come and get it," I taunted before standing in a striking pose.

He growled with an evil grin as he ran towards me saying, "Finally, a real challenge."

I dodged his grab, grabbing his arm in the process and flipping him over my back so he landed in front of me. I brought the stake down to his chest and he started turned gray I smirked at my work as I stood up and put Shadow back in its cage. I was walking over to help Stefan up when I saw last minute Cress throw a large medieval looking knife at me. I tried dodging it and just like I tried turning the wheel in time I failed and it nailed me in the stomach and through the other side of my back. I looked down at it and I heard Stefan yelling.

I fell towards the ground, but was caught by protective strong arm and I instantly knew who it was.

Damon stared down at me with regret. He shook his head and lifted me up and the wind raced against our bodies. He stopped at a familiar place. The hospital. I raised my hand and rested it against his cheek. He looked down at me and his eyes looked wet. He looked sad and regretful.

"I forgive you," I told him with heavy eye lids.

Damon's POV:

When the scent of blood finally caught my attention I raced to where it smelt its strongest and found Stefan yelling. That's when I saw Jade looking down at the knife that was inside her. It went through her front and poked out her back.

I was there in a second to catch her from falling to the ground. Stefan told to take her to the hospital and that is what I did. I raced away and headed towards the hospital. How could I do this to her?

I was angry not her, but at myself for doing this to her. She was suffering and I wasn't there to help her in the past two weeks. Stefan was right she didn't run from me when she found out about the kiss between me and Elena.

I walked through the doors of the hospital feeling my eyes fill with tears. I felt like I was the worst person in the world. I felt like I stabbed her with the knife that was in her. I felt her hand rest on my cheek and I looked into her eyes that held pain, but love and forgiveness.

"I forgive you," she whispered to me. I watched her eye lids grow heavier as the dropped lower and lower over her eyes.

"Help!" I yelled out. Several nurses rushed up to me and asked what happened, but I didn't say anything. They had a journey there and to her to the ER and I was forced to stay in the waiting room. I paced the entire time. It wasn't until morning when a doctor came out and said they had her stabilized.

They wouldn't let me go to see her still and I couldn't compel them to let me either because everyone was on vervain now. I continued to pace the waiting room when later on everyone showed up and they were given the same information. I was too anxious and guilty to listen or talk to anyone.

I stayed there in the same clothes when a doctor, Meredith, approached me.

"She's in a mini coma," she told me. I stopped pacing and looked at her.

"What?" I asked her in complete shock.

"She had a lot of head trauma that her special injections couldn't heal. There really is no tell when she will wake up," she said with a sigh looking down at the ground.

"Give her some of my blood!" I roared at her.

She shook her head furiously.

"You know what could happen if she died. She would become one you!" She whispered and yelled at me.

"She was like me before, what makes now any different?" I growled at her.

"Did you even ask her if she ever wanted to become a vampire?" she growled at me. I paused and thought about it. No, I never did ask her.

"No."

"So then how would you know if she would want to become a vampire or not?"

I sighed and said, "I don't."

Meredith seemed to calm down before saying, "Even if she did want to spend eternity with you she couldn't."

I felt my eyebrows knit in confusion, "Why the hell not?"

"Because-Because whatever they…injected her with made her unable to become a vampire," she paused before continuing, "Even if she completed the transitioning it would force her back into being a human in the most painful way. When she is human the shadow part of her controls her randomly. She barely gets that grip on it to keep it tamed."

I shook my head before finally heading home to think about everything. When I get home I head straight for my room ignoring Stefan along the way.

I was left to my thoughts as I stripped myself to my boxers and laid in bed. I didn't know what to think. SO I slept on it.

Two Weeks, four days later

Third Persons POV:

It was oddly quiet for once in the hospital no screaming in pain or calls for help just silence. Shadows danced across the wall, but they weren't owned by a human form. They were heading towards a room and only one room in mind. In room three thirteen laid an elderly woman who was brought in and had been in the hospital for her weak heart. Her neighbor hasn't said one word to her and she found out the girl was in a coma. They had moved her neighbor in here to get another room prepared for her.

The old woman of course didn't mind just as long as the girl didn't make a lot of noise when she woke up. Suddenly the door slowly opened catching the woman's attention. No one was there. The door continued to open though and it was then she noticed the dark shows on the wall they were heading towards her neighbors side of the room. The curtain had been drawn between the two beds so the girl could have her privacy in any chance that she would wake up.

What the elderly woman saw was something out of a haunting movie. The light cast shadows against the curtain she was able to see the silhouette of the girl in the bed. What see saw next is what literally killed her having been too much strain on the poor elderly woman's heart.

You see her neighbor was in midair her mouth was open and the showy creatures were flying in here mouth. In real life it was just an illusion because the lady was completely physco, but if you thought about it she was just seeing what was happening inside her neighbor's body. Shadow possessed it. Jade was no longer in control. This time Shadow locked her in a cage.

Shadows POV:

It was the dead line of a heart monitor that woke me up. I pulled the covers off my body and got up out of the bed pulling all of the wire and needles out of me. I walked towards the closet and saw the cloths that I wore the night of the accident. I slipped out of the hospital night gown and pulled on my jeans and t-shirt along with my shoes.

I tugged on my coat before walking around the curtain and past the dead person who was in the room with me. I looked down both side of the hall way to see it was empty and walked out. I stuck to shadows. I heard footsteps coming from the left of me and saw a stair case next to me. I opened the door and started walking down the five flights of stairs I had to, to get to the exit. Once I walked out of the door of the stair case I walked towards the entrance as if I was just coming back from visiting someone.

I walked out the automatic sliding doors and towards the road to Mystic Falls. Things were about to get a hell of a lot funner now that Shadow was here.