Status: I'd love any adivce, since this is the first story I'm actually proud of c:

Songbird

The River

It was a town so small that if you walked around at midnight you'd feel like the last person on earth. And I loved it. I went to a small school, the stores were never crowded, and there was never any traffic when mom had to drive anywhere. I lived in a small townhouse with an open backyard that lead to a river. On one particular night I remember sneaking out my house when mom was asleep to swim in the river. I didn't hesitate at all, our house was only one story tall so going out the window would be no problem. I crawled out of the bed and searched for a flashlight I kept in my drawer. With all of my strength my lanky arms lifted the window just enough that I could squeeze myself through. It was so exciting to just leave the house like that, but I didn't want to do this alone. Sage's house was my first destination before heading to the river, he lived one house away.
Sage was like my brother, although being only one year younger than I, he mentioned plenty of times how he wished he was as brave as me. I always disregarded his compliments because they were of little significance to a 10 year old. Sage never slept, I knew this because every time I slept over he would be up at 3am asking me all these profound questions.
"Why are there so many stars in the sky?"
"Does the ocean go on forever?"
"Why don't fish have legs?"
Of course I never had the answers but it was still fun to dwell on them. When I reached Sage's house, well backyard I knocked on his window and shone my flashlight through. I couldn't see much in there but he came by the window asking me what I was doing and why was I at his house so late in the night.
"Let's go down to the river!"
Sage looked at me as if I was crazy, I would too. He rolled his eyes but after a few minutes of convincing him in the most annoying way possible he finally gave in. I helped him climb out his window and we raced barefoot to the river. When we got there the earth under our feet was damp. The cool summer air surrounded us and the sound of frogs made me jump. Sage stood behind me for protection. I didn't know what he was scared of, the river was so beautiful to me. I started to run and took a leap into the cool water. I didn't care if my pajamas got wet or if my hair got tangled.
"Well, what are you waiting for? Jump in!" I yelled to Sage. He looked at me and slowly approached the river as if it was some sort of alien. When he got close enough to the water I pulled him by the ankles causing him to stumble and fall. He flapped around for a few seconds until he realized the river was about 5 feet deep on this side.
"You jerk," he said as he glared at me. I simply smiled and swam around while trying to see how many frogs I could catch and keep as pets. Sage held on the edge of where the river and soil met.

"When your hair is wet you look more like a girl than you usually do."
That was probably his first sentence of the night. My hair was long, black and messy so I often got teased about it. I ignored his snide comment and continued my frog hunting. After a while Sage started to get out the water.

"It's getting really late...I think it's time to go."
He climbed onto the soil and starting shivering despite that it was a fairly warm night. I decided it was time to get out too or my mother might come into room to check up on me and discover that I wasn't in bed. I climbed out the water and started to follow the path from which we came, Sage followed.
"We're doing this every week from now on." I told him.

"What?"

"You heard me."

So every week that's what happened, I'd sneak out the house, get Sage and then go to the river. I began to catch frogs and take them home. My mother would look confused on the mornings when I'd make a mini pond in the bathtub with several frogs in it, she never questioned it as long as I was safe. I laid in my bed at night waiting for the right time when my mother was asleep and I climbed out the window. I'd run through my backyard into Sage's and knock on his window. But one night it was different, when I shone my flashlight in to signal that I was there I saw boxes piled up high in Sage's room. After he noticed the light and I helped him climb out the window. I had to ask what those boxes were about. He said he'd tell me when we got to the river.

When we got there it looked beautiful as it always did. The stars and moon reflecting in the water and the sound of crickets and frogs filling the air. Sage didn't jump in but instead he sat by it with his legs hanging over, half submerged in the water. I sat next to him and looked at his face waiting for him to talk. He looked up at the moon and sighed deeply. His light brown eyes were filled with the stars. I nudged him in the ribs causing him to turn his attention to me.
"What?" He asked

"The boxes, at your house."

"Oh yeah, I'm moving." He turned his head back to the moon. I remained my gaze and furrowed my eyebrows. I was a little upset that he was just so blunt about it, he didn't seem bothered or anything.

"Why are you moving? What's wrong with here?"

"There's nothing wrong but, my Dad got a new job in NYC that pays way more." he replied still staring at the sky.

"Well you sure sound excited to move to a big city." I said sarcastically.

"Eh, I don't really care. Won't be as much fun without you around."
I felt my face start to get relaxed, it was relieving to hear some emotion in his voice. I didn't say much after that and he didn't either.

I woke up early the next morning to say my goodbyes. The moving trucks were starting to arrive outside Sage's house as I got dressed. I tied my hair up and laced up my shoes then ran out the door without a word. Mom was probably over there already, Mrs.Bellerose was good friends with my mom so she had asked to help her with loading things into the truck. Sage was sitting on the porch steps, his eyes followed as movers passed to and from the truck. I ran over and sat next to him, he gave me a small grin.

"Well. this is it." He propped his head on his hands.

"Yea..." I nodded. At that moment I felt a lump in my throat, I swallowed hard. Not here, not now....I rubbed my eyes although no tears were there yet. Sage looked at me.

"Eli, you okay?"
I just nodded and sighed deeply. My cheeks were now damp with tears. Sage began digging in his pocket, in his hand was a small wooden bird. It had it's beak open as if it were singing, carved into the side of it was the word "Songbird."
He placed it in my hand, the contrast of the cool wood and Sage's warm hand felt strange. "I've been working on this for a while.." He said "I want you to have it." I clutched it in my hand then looked at him. He rested his hand on my shoulder.
"Sage!" his mother called. He looked at me one more time before hugging me so tight that it almost hurt. He ran to the moving truck, waving "I'll call!"
He never did.