Legend of the Grey Wolf

Stands a lonely sentinel

I had a set frown on my face as Aime talked about a guy she saw when we walked down here. We were currently standing outside. He gave me and Aime back out packs that held a couple outfits and a blanket in each. He on the other hand, was packing tents and enough food for an entire army. I was introduced to the men accompanying us- who all had mates.

Along with Demetri, Aime, and Kelly, there was Brent, Kale, Henry, and Enrique. Brent was nineteen. He had messy blonde hair that was super curly and chocolate brown eyes. He wasn’t much taller than me, maybe 5’6. Demetri told me that although he is small, he is fast which gives him an advantage when fighting. Honestly, he could be my long lost brother he looks so much alike me.

Kale was pale and had short red hair. He was a tad on the chubby side with thick framed glasses. He really had that ‘hipster’ look going on with his skinny jeans and flannel. He greeted me with a smile, and thanked me for getting him away from his crazy mate for the week. She, of course being there, playfully slapped his arm confirming my thought that they were completely in love.

Henry wasn’t as nice as the rest. He was tall and buff and completely intimidating. I learned that he was Lewis and Demetri’s cousin, and him and his mate were awkward as hell. When she said goodbye, she looked terrified and almost thankful that he was gone. I imagined him as one of the super forceful mates that were so overbearing that the females were completely submissive. When me and Aime greeted him, he just grunted and walked away. Aime was drooling over him and started going on about how her mate was going to ‘show her whos boss’. I shuddered.

Enrique was african and was completely interesting. Once you got past his thick nigerian accent, he told me how rogues killed his entire pack forcing him and his brother to come here. Demetri let them in his pack with open arms although neither Enrique or Michigan, his brother, spoke english. Enrique found his mate two days after being accepted into the pack, and he was worried about Michigan. He said that Michigan had this dark idea what rogues slaughtered his mate and although he always told Michigan that he was wrong, Enrique was afraid he was right.

“Uhg can we go.” Kelly said, an annoying ring to her voice.

“Babe!” A man came running for a distance away. He was short. He was a bit overweight and had light brown hair pulled into a ponytail. He was wearing a star trek shirt and a pair of skinny jeans with moccasins and looked completely out of place. Kelly’s face lit up.

“Jess!” She squeaked. Me and Aime’s jaws practically flew open as we watched the tall, skinny, beautiful Kelly run wildly at the man and wrap her legs around his waist kissing him.

“Close your mouth.” Brent snickered. “Trust me, we all had the same expression when we found out that Kelly was mated to Jess.” Aime’s expression became sad.

“God I wish I had legs like hers.” She grumbled. I laughed a bit at Aime and looked at her like she was crazy. Brent was looking at her with the same expression.

“You do have legs like that Aime.” I joked. She rolled her eyes.

“Its mini over here that should be longing for legs like that.” I shot Brent a glare, knowing fully that he was talking about me. I crossed my arms and glared.

“I’ll have you know, short legs are cute.” I huffed. Brent let out a breezy laugh.

“Yes Brent, Short legs are cute.” I heard Demetri behind me as he threw another bag into the back of his SUV. My expression caused both Brent and Aime to snicker at me. “But of course, It doesn’t matter what any other guy thinks of you.” He winked before walking away to get more stuff.

“He’s totally into you.” Kale walked up and leaned against a tree. I raised my eyebrows at him.

“He has this stupid idea that he is my mate.” I rolled my eyes. Kale eyed me up, instantly making me uncomfortable.

“And some stupid idea that you and the grey wolf from the legend.” I scoffed.

“Thank you! See Aime, I’m not the only one who thinks its stupid.” She rolled her eyes.

“I don’t get why you think its stupid. It would be so cool to be you, I would have boys falling all over themselves to get to me.” She gushed, I rolled my eyes. Aime was a boy crazy, hormonal teenager. It is beyond me why I got stuck with this stupid curse thing while she is so much better suited for it. Brent instantly threw his arm around me and started pulling me away from Aime and Kale. I started listening and heard Enrique.

“Aime, I want you to meet my brother. Michigan, this is Aime.” I smiled, knowing exactly why I was getting pulled away.

“I hope Aime and Michigan get along.” I winked at Brent who just chuckled and pulled me closer to him. I laughed and hung my arm around his waist lightly as we went to the other side of the car and out of sight from the rest of the group. Two seconds later, I heard Demetri’s enraged voice.

“What the hell is going on over here!” He walked around the corner and started growling at Brent. Brent released me instantly.

“Calm down Demetri.” He turned to me. “I’m going to go check on Aime.” He smiled.

“Don’t look at her.” Demetri growled again. Brent raised his arms in surrender and walked away. Demetri turned to me. “What were you doing with him?” I scoffed.

“You are really acting like a child. He got me away from Michigan before he proclaimed his love for me.” He growled again.

“You smell like him. Why were you all over him!” He accused again. I glared.

“He has a mate, you obviously don’t remember that I’m not yours either. Its nice being able to talk to a boy without him screaming that I’m his mate.” I was surprised at my courage. I was yelling, and so was Demetri.

“You ARE my mate!” He growled and stomped away. I scoffed. How does he expect me to choose such a moody mate!? He stomped away. I peeked around to see Aime and Michigan laughing together. I smiled, but it was short lived when Demetri said something to Enrique and Enrique shooed Michigan away.

I let out an annoyed sigh and threw my bag in the front seat of the truck and waited for Kelly to round up the rest of the guys and say goodbye to Jess. I was going to have to figure out how to ask her about that without being rude.

Eventually we were all squeezed into one SUV listening to Kelly bitch about how I was sitting in the front while she was squeezed in between ‘two sweaty guys’, also known as Brent and Enrique. Aime and Kale were sitting in the farthest seats back with Henry. When I offered to switch with Kelly to end everyones suffering, Demetri threw a fit. Lets just say, the car was tense.

The next thing we argued about was music. Kelly wanted to listen to Beyonce and Brent wanted to listen to Yellowcard. I mentally gave him a high five for that. Enrique said Jazz and Kale said Ed Sheeran. Eventually, Demetri shut everyone up and asked me what I wanted to listen to. He was trying to be a gentleman but when I peeked over my shoulder I saw everyone silently gesturing to themselves in a way that said ‘pick my choice’. I started digging through the CD’s , with my goal being find something Aime would like. That idea died when I saw the Duran Duran CD. When I pushed it in and skipped to track four, already knowing what song it was. It took one second into the song from Aime to scream.

“Nooooooooo! Please pick something else Belle!” She begged. She started smacking her head into the seat infront of her, which happened to be Kelly’s. A few seconds later, everyone caught onto what song it was and started groaning.

“Seriously? This is your taste in music?” Demetri asked, his eyebrow raised. I scowled at him.

“What do you mean a GOOD taste in music?” I instantly started belting out the lyrics and soon Aime couldn’t help herself and joined in. Then came Kale, and Brent. I’m pretty sure Enrique didn’t know the song but by the end he was singing the chorus. Demetri had a dumb smirk on his face the entire time while Kelly had a complete frown on hers. When the song ended, we were all laughing.

“You are a good singer!” Brent said happily to me. Aime frowned.

“Unfortunately somehow she got a singing voice.” I laughed, she didn’t even bother hiding her jealously.

“It was from my dad Aime, you know that.” I put in a “The Human League” CD and everyone soon started groaning again.

“You’re dad must have been sexy as hell then because look at your hair!” She wailed. I rolled my eyes.

“You and I both know I got this hair from mom. You just got Yashar’s hair.” I winked. She rolled her eyes and started singing horribly along with the album. Everyone got involved in their own conversations and I just looked out the window, watching the trees fly by.

“So, you and Aime have different dads?” I glanced over at Demetri who looked confused.

“Yeah, my mom had a second chance at mating after my dad died.” I smiled at him as a guilty expression covered his face.

“Oh, I’m sorry I brought it up.” He mumbled. I shrugged.

“Its okay.” It really was okay. Sure, I missed my dad every day but I was young when he passed and he passed years ago. I had long since accepted it as had Beau and my mother. We were all just glad she is happy again.

“Can you turn this shit off?” Kelly snapped gesturing to the radio where “Don’t you want me” by The Human League was playing. Before I could give her a bitchy response, Demetri cut in.

“Kelly, how many times do I have to tell you to SHUT THE HELL UP.” Demetri was using his alpha voice. I was shocked and so was the rest of the car. The only sound was the clicking from the radio, signaling the CD was at its end. I cleared my throat quietly and started digging for a new CD while everyone else found something to look at or do, even if it was just twiddling their thumbs. Demetri was pissed.

As a silent apology to Kelly for Demetri’s behavior, I put in a Beyonce CD and this time nobody commented on my music choice.