Untitled

2/2

I knew the guy carrying the cup of steaming hot coffee was coming toward me too fast but I couldn’t stop walking. It was almost in slow motion. I saw him coming with just enough time to do absolutely nothing. I cringed as he knocked into my stomach and hissed as the blistering liquid went through my shirt. And the first words out of the guy’s mouth?

“Hey, watch it!” As if it were my fault. He grumbled some more, glared and stomped out of the coffee shop as I tried to hold my favorite shirt away from my body. I had some choice words for the asshole but I was too busy trying to keep my skin from burning even more. By the time I looked up from the spill, he was long gone.

“Some people, eh?” I looked up at another masculine voice. The owner was a dark-headed man with gentle, brown eyes, currently narrowed in anger toward the door. He looked down with a small smile that had me weak in the knees. “Here, let me help you.”

“Thanks.” I said as he grabbed a wet towel from the awaiting barista and handed it to me.

“Maybe if you put the towel against your, uh, abdomen, it will stop the burning?” He suddenly looked awkward as I took the towel and held it under my shirt. A sigh of relief escaped from my lips as I wiped the coffee off my stomach.

“Thanks again.” I removed the towel and put it on the corner. I held out my hand for him to shake.“I’m Kylie.”

“Martin.” He grasped my hand in his own and pumped up and down. “Do you have another shirt with you?”

“Um...” My face contorted in apprehension and confusion. He looked awkward again.

“Oh, I mean, I have a bunch of shirts in my car. I could give one to you if you’d like. My truck is parked just outside, in a highly populated place and I swear I’m not trying to kidnap you.” I let out a small laugh and he smiled again. Good lord, he had dimples!

“Sure, yeah, I’d love a shirt if you don’t mind.” He opened the glass door and held it for me. I walked into the tepid Floridian weather and he was right behind me, closing the door with a soft click.

“This way.” He held out his right hand and turned slightly, leaving me to follow him. And if anyone had asked, it was a nice view. We came to a black Mercedes SUV and he unlocked it with a button on his key chain. He popped the trunk and pulled out a box of cobalt blue shirts. “Let’s see, I have medium, large, and extra large. I’m fresh out of smalls.”

“A medium please.” He grabbed one from the top and I unfolded it to see a very familiar logo. “Why do you have a bunch of Lightning shirts in the back of your car?”

“Well, I was on my way to the children’s hospital for a Meet and Greet.” I squinted at him for a moment and then it clicked.

“You play for them!” I pointed at him accusingly. He chuckled.

“Martin St. Louis, at your service.” I smiled and tucked the shirt under my arm.

“Here, let me pay for this.” I started pulling my wallet out of my back pocket and he shook his head frantically.

“No, I offered!”

”But I can’t take away from the kiddies.” I insisted and he looked down sheepishly before speaking again.

“Well, you could always let me take you out. That would be payment enough.” I felt the shock fall over my face. “Unless you have a boyfriend. or a husband, or a girlfriend, or whatever.”

“I’m not married and I don’t like girls,” I said, laughing slightly, “And I’d love to go out with you sometime.”

Yep, life is funny sometimes.