Status: Thanks for reading.

Under the Oak Tree

And it was perfect

He had tried to set me up with his sister. It was honestly the cutest thing I had ever seen. I was a senior and he had been a sophomore. It had been my first year at that school, so no one had really known me too well, but I was generally liked by most I had met so far.

He had come up to me, confidence radiating from his body, pushing others out of his way in order to block my way to my locker. And yet...he barely reached my collarbone. I think that was why he always acted so confident, because no one would possibly be able to take him seriously with that height.

He had walked up to me, hand on his rather feminine hips, stared me down and then...

“My sister thinks you’re hot, so you’re going to go out with her this weekend.” Not even a choice.

I had looked at him with a small smirk. I guess I just couldn’t believe that someone would come up to me and say something like that without a care. I thought it was cute and ballsy.

“Sorry, hon, you wouldn’t want me going out with your sister.” I had answered almost immediately. “I’m gay. It wouldn’t be fair to her.” I had no problem coming out to strangers. My family had accepted me wholeheartedly and that was all that mattered to me.

He had seemed surprised, but had quickly masked it with a nonchalant shrug and turned his back.

“That’s a pity.”

...

We had met again at a party about a week later and somehow we ended up making out underneath the tree in the backyard.

...

He was my boyfriend within the next two days.

...

That was three years ago and we’re still together. I think it was the biggest shock to his sister, who had still tried to sleep with me even after Adam and I had gotten together and made our relationship public.

We had moved in together as soon as he graduated high school last year. He didn’t want to go to college; thought it was a waste of time and energy. I was going into medical school...someone had to support us.

“Don’t tell me you’re ditching me again to study?” Adam growled, hands on his small hips. He hated when I called him ‘little’, but he was only 5’3”.

“I’m sorry, baby, but my finals are coming up and if I don’t pass, then I can’t move on and we’ll have to be homeless together. I thought you liked having a rich boyfriend.” I chuckled, dumping my textbooks on our bed.

Adam sighed, running his hands through his soft, blond locks. I loved his hair, it always smelled like apricots and springtime for some reason. He used coconut shampoo, so it made no sense to me...

“I don’t care about being homeless, I just want to be with you.” He mumbled out, throwing himself into my arms.

The first three months that we were together, Adam was the most stubborn pain in the ass imaginable - he later told me that he behaved this way to see if the person he was with was worth sticking around for. And then one day he started to curl into me; he wanted to cuddle while watching romantic comedies. He wanted to have bubble baths covered in rose petals. I wouldn’t have minded if he stayed the overconfident asshole that I had known him as, but I had to admit that this was much better.

I chuckled, wrapping my arms around my boyfriend.

“I know, baby, but I want us to have a good life and that starts with me going to school.”

“No, that starts when you want to actually spend some time with me.”

He pushed me away and stomped out of the room. It was true, I had been avoiding him lately. But it was because of school...honestly. And I was a little terrified of something else... Our three year anniversary was on the third of the next month. I planned to propose.

Adam didn’t really care too much about marriage, he never did, but I loved him more and more everyday and I wanted to be able to tell people that he was mine and mine forever.

I had already asked for his parents’ permission and his mother had cried and threw herself at me. I was surprised she could keep the secret for this long. I had taken her and my mother ring shopping not too long ago and had picked out the perfect one. I had kept it at my mother’s house; I was way too paranoid to leave it at home where he could potentially find it.

I didn’t want Adam to think that I didn’t want to spend time with him, I wanted to spend all the time in the world with him, but I was so scared that I would give away the secret too early.
Sighing, I rose from the bed and made my way into the living room where he was laying on the couch, a soft frown on his face. I hated when he was sad. A frown should never be on that pretty face.

...And I felt like shit. Of course he would be sad. How could I make him sad? I’m supposed to be the one to make him happy.

Another sigh, I threw myself onto Adam’s much smaller body. He let out an ‘oof’ before trying to push me off of him.

“Get off, you oaf!” He squealed. “You’re like a million pounds, I can’t breathe.”

“Ouch, that hurt! I take great pride in my body, thank you very much. I go to the gym six days a week while you go…never.” I got off of his body and sat beside him. “I’m sorry if I haven’t been spending enough time with you honey. I’m just...stressing out about these exams and-”

“I don’t know why you stress so much. You’ll pass with amazing marks as usual. Plus, you’ve been studying non-stop for like, two weeks. Please...just one day...please.”

And then he showed me those eyes. Those big, watery, hazel eyes and I was putty in his hands. He knew how to work me too well.

...

The family had all gathered. It was the day after Adam and I’s anniversary. His mother had confided in me that he had been down because he had been hoping for me to pop the question. I had decided that instead of being cliche and proposing in the middle of the restaurant in front of a bunch of random strangers, I would do it in front of all of our family and closest friends. The annual barbecue, which always - coincidentally - fell the day after our anniversary. Ever since Adam and I had begun dating, our families had mixed and we switched homes to do it every year. This year it was at my house.

My little cousins were chasing each other around the backyard. Dad was at the barbecue with my uncles and Adam’s uncles. Aunts were talking, close friends were laughing and having a blast. I smiled as my eyes looked over every last person who had gathered at my family home. They all meant so much to Adam and I. Finally my eyes landed on him.

He was laughing with my older brother. Those bright, white teeth shining in the April sun, his golden hair catching on the rays of light, that musical sound exiting from behind those luscious pink lips. He was the epitome of perfection.

My insecurities seemed to leave my body as I realized that this is the boy I want to spend the rest of my life with. He is my one. I can’t imagine a day without Adam in my life. I never want to live a day without Adam in my life. I still couldn’t believe that I was able to call him mine after all this time. And I knew that I would always call him mine.

Dad called everyone to sit for supper. My stomach filled with butterflies.

Adam immediately ran to me and wrapped his arms around my neck, bringing me down to lock his lips with mine. I would never get tired of kissing this boy. Again, diffidence fled. I love him.

Everyone stood as they ate. Families were mixing and scattered around the entirety of the large yard. Adam was sitting on my lap underneath an oak tree, munching on his hotdog and talking to our friend, Sam. I didn’t know when I wanted to do this, but I knew that it had to be soon, otherwise I would lose all confidence.

My mother was about to make the goodbye announcement, where she thanked everyone for coming and wished them all a goodnight. It was my only chance, while everyone was focused on the one person up front. I quickly plopped Adam off of my lap - he hadn’t been expecting it and let out a very adorable ‘eep’ - and ran towards my mother, taking the microphone from her hands.

“What the hell are you doing?” She whispered to me. “You know I always do the announcement. Don’t take this from me.” She pouted and huffed like a four year old.

“Remember that thing that I wanted to do...with Adam...yesterday...?” Her eyes lit up and she immediately nodded, smiling widely and running off to find Adam’s mom. Those two were our fan club apparently.

I looked away from where my mother had run off to and out onto the large yard. Most eyes were on me, including a very confused looking Adam. I hate public speaking so much. I was always so afraid of making myself look like a fool. But Adam was worth it....right.

“Uh...hello.” I spoke into the microphone. Laughs went through the crowd and some people said ‘hi’ back. “Right...so...thank you all for coming to the annual family barbecue. Um...It’s been a pleasure...?” I looked out towards my mom who grinned at me and gave me a thumbs up. I rolled my eyes; she is such a child. “So...I have a bit of an announcement to make...here....tonight...yeah.” More laughs. Adam had a soft smile on his face. He still looked confused as to why I was even up here, but he was at least enjoying my discomfort. “So...I want to say thanks to not only my family but to the Hoffstans and our wonderful friends as well. Um...I know that we’re not actually related in any way, shape or form, but still we come together every year as one family to celebrate one another and...I can’t even begin to describe how wonderful all of you are for accepting…every one of us.

“Um...I want that to change.” Both my mother and Adam’s were practically vibrating with excitement beside one another. “I don’t want to refer to all of you guys as just ‘family friends’ because you’re so much more than that. And I don’t want to refer to Adam as just my boyfriend anymore.” My mother actually let out a squeak. It was as though air was being released from inside of her.

Looking out towards the crowd, I could see that Adam had stood from his seated position and was staring right at me, shock written all over his face. And here I thought he was expecting this.
I began to make my way over to him - why did he have to sit so far back; I have to go through all of these people and they’re all staring and it’s so nerve wracking.

I dropped the microphone off to my mother as I passed her.

Finally I reached my destination. The ring box seemed so heavy in my pocket. Fishing it out, I dropped myself to one knee - kind of a painful position; who thought of this? - and opened the box. It was ring for a woman, with diamonds and sparkle, but Adam was close enough to one.

“I want the honor of being able to say that you’re my husband and that starts with me asking you if you’ll do me the honor of marrying me.”

Adam was crying by this point, both hands brought over his mouth as he stared down at me. Finally - after what felt like a millennia - he nodded his head and threw himself into my arms. I finally released the breath I had been holding.

I was almost sure that he would say yes, but there is never 100%. I scooped the crying Adam into my arms and slid the ring onto his left ring finger.

I could faintly hear the clapping and cheering around us, but I paid no mind. The love of my life was
in my arms, right where he should be and he had agreed to marry me. I didn’t think my life could be more perfect than in that moment. Right where we were. Surrounded by family and friends and holding each other tight.

Underneath that oak tree.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading.

Comments are greatly appreciated and loved.