Forever Ends Too Soon

Signs

Laura's POV:
"Happy two month." I say when Zach picks me up. I have always loved April weather. April 15th and I couldn't be happier.
"Laurie, we need to talk." Zach tells me.
"Well that's never a good way to start out the day." I tell him and we sit on the steps. I can tell Ali is looking out the window.
"The guys and I are leaving for tour in June. We're going to put tickets on sale next week and I didn't want you to be surprised."
"Zach, what are you saying?" I ask him.
"I'm going to be gone for a few months. You could come with us if you want to. We get back in August or September."
"No, I have classes. I have to focus on my major, math." I tell him and tears are coming to my eyes.
"Laurie, it'll only be a few months."
"You don't get it, Zach! The last time someone I loved left, he didn't come back."
"But I will come back." He tells me.
"Jimmy promised me he would come back and we would get married, but you know what, life doesn't always work out that way."
"You had to know this was coming." Zach tells me and he doesn't get it at all.
"I knew, but I ignored it! I can't, Zach. I can't lose someone else."
"Laurie, it was one time." He tells me.
"No, Zach. My dad isn't really my dad, he's my stepdad. I call him dad because he's the only dad I've ever known. My real dad died in a car wreck when I was three months old. My mom remarried when I was two."
"Oh, Laurie, I am so sorry."
"And I am so sick of always hearing that!" I yell and turn away from him. He tries to wrap his arms around me, but I push him away.
"I won't leave you."
"But you will, Zach. You'll go on tour and I'll just hope you're still alive." I tell him and run inside.
"Let me talk to her!" I hear Zach protest.
"No, give her time to cool off and get her thoughts straight." I hear Ali yell at him.
"Maybe you should go, sweetie." Mom tells him.
"Yeah, she'll call." Dad says and I cry.
"Daddy, James, I need you." Zach's car door slams and, as I watch him drive away, thunder crashes and rain pours down. Maybe it's good we aren't going out right now.
"How are you?" Mom asks, sitting next to me.
"He's leaving in June. You know what's happened to every guy who left to go somewhere." I tell her.
"Third time's a charm." Mom tells me.
"Three strikes you're out. Deaths come in threes. Mom, I can't have Zach be the third."
"I don't think he will be, sweetie." She tells me and leaves. A few hours later the sun comes out and I notice Zach's car pulling in the driveway.
"Thanks, guys." I say quietly and run downstairs.
"Laurie, we can cancel." Zach tells me and I kiss him.
"No. I'll panic, but I'm going to believe you'll be safe."
"Then let's go enjoy this lovely day." He holds out his hand and I take it.