Forever Ends Too Soon

Spiraling Down

Zach’s POV:
“We should probably go.” I tell Laurie as the sunsets. She laughs and spins around on the swing.
“I don’t want to go. I like it here, just like this. Nothing bad can happen if we’re here.” She tells me and I smile.
“No one would forgive me if I kept you out too late.”
“I’m old enough, Zach, I don’t have a curfew.” She rolls her eyes.
“But don’t you want to show off your ring?” I ask and she grins.
“Alright, you win as always.” She tells me and I laugh.
“And I always will.” I kiss her.
“You’re funny, Zach. I’m going to let you think you’ll win, but we all know once we’re married I win.”
“Laurie, you can win even when we aren’t married.”
“Don’t make me cry.” She smiles.
“If they’re tears of joy, I don’t care.” I tell her.
“Alright, I guess I should get home now.”
“We could stay another hour.” I tell her and she smiles.
“Thank you, Zach!” She wraps her arms around me.
“Is this all you hoped it would be?” I ask her.
“Well, it’s definitely nice that I know you aren’t leaving any time soon.”
“That must have been really hard for you.”
“Like you wouldn’t believe. Imagine if I walked up to you tomorrow and said I was leaving for a year.”
“I couldn’t let you go.” I tell her.
“It was hard, but I had to. I always knew he could die, but I figured it would never happen to us. We were getting married and it was perfect.”
“And then it happened.” I finish for her.
“Yeah, then it did.” She says. “But now I can have a happy ending and I want to tell my family.” She stands up and we start walking. We get halfway to her house when I get shoved to the ground.
“Don’t move.” The guy tells me. He’s got a black jacket and a ski mask on.
“Get away from my fiancé!” Laurie yells.
“Laurie, just run.” I tell her and start to sit up. The guy kicks me down.
“I said don’t move.” Laurie isn’t running.
“Go!” I tell her.
“No, I won’t leave you yet! Zach, you promised. Everyone promises and then they leave me.” She has tears streaming down her face.
“What do you want?” I ask the guy. I want his foot off my chest. I hear a gunshot and then he runs. I don’t feel anything, but Laurie is shrieking. I start to sit up to help her, but the pain is too much.
“Help! He’s been shot!” Laurie shrieks.
“I’m fine.” I tell her and she’s gone hysterical.
“Don’t look at it, Zach.” She tells me. I try sitting, but I can’t. She’s got her jacket on it and she’s calling for an ambulance.
“Laurie, it isn’t necessary.” I tell her.
“My boyfriend was just shot! He’s 22.” She’s starting to lose it again and I’m starting to lose consciousness. “Zach! Oh, my God, no!” She yells. I hear the sirens and then everything goes black.