Forever Ends Too Soon

Setting A Date

Zach’s POV:

“Zach, can we talk?” Laurie asks me the next day.

“Sure, babe, what’s up?” I ask her.

“I had a dream about James.” She tells me and I sit up, glad I’m finally able to.

“Do you want to talk about it?” She nods.

“He came back, told me he wasn’t dead and wanted to go get married. He said that because I still have the ring from him, maybe I don’t love you like I thought.” She says.

“And what did you do when you woke up?” I ask her.

“Sold the ring he gave me.” She says and she starts crying, but I’m not sure if they’re happy or sad tears.

“How did that feel?” I ask her.

“It felt like something I should have done a long time ago.” She tells me and I reach my hand out. She grabs it and I squeeze.

“If you ever change your mind I’ll be devastated, but I’ll understand.” I tell her and her eyes get wide.

“No, Zach, that dream only helped me let go. I definitely want to get married to you.”

“Then maybe we should start planning now.” I suggest and she laughs.

“You get out next week, we can wait.”

“Man, I need something to keep me from going crazy.” I say and she thinks about it.

“Well, you could go walk around. Do they let you do that?” She asks.

“But that's so boring.”

“And it’s better to just lay here?” She asks.

“No, it’s better when you’re here. I can talk to you and just see you.” She smiles.

“Zach, you are adorable.” She tells me and I laugh. Then I get an idea.

“Hand me paper.” I tell her and she hands me a notebook and pen.

“What’s going on?” She asks me.

“I'm writing you a song.” I tell her and she bites her lip.

“You don’t have to, Zach.” She says.

“But I’m going to.” I start writing and show her when I’m done.

“This is going to be a fan favorite.” She tells me.

“I sure hope so. Are fans treating you alright?” I ask her and she looks at me.

“As far as I know. I haven’t actually met your fans, not that I know of at least.” She tells me.

“Then let’s change that. We’re touring in the summer, end of May through beginning of August. Come with us.”

“On one condition.” She tells me.

“Name it.”

“We get married before then. With our families and my friends, we could easily have an April wedding.”

“Sounds great.” I tell her.

“Then I guess it’s all set! I can’t wait.” She kisses me and leaves. A nurse walks in to check on me.

“I’m getting married in April.” I say and the nurse smiles.

“Congratulations.” She tells me. “Your fiancé seems nice.”

“She’s everything I’ve ever wanted.”

“Then I guess it’s good that you’re alive.”

“It’s great. She couldn't have handled it again. I love her so much.”

“Seems like you do, but treat her well.” The nurse says and walks out.