Forever Ends Too Soon

Setting The Scene

Zach's POV:
"Oh this poor girl!" Mom cries.
"I'm home." I say, walking into the kitchen. She closes the paper, tears in her eyes.
"This poor girl was engaged and she just lost her fiancé. The funeral is Saturday."
"What a shame."
"And so young! She's your age, Zach."
"That's too young to be getting married." I say. Sure I feel bad for her, but she's young.
"He was in the military. He died to keep her safe and now he won't even be here to keep her safe. We should go to the funeral." Mom says and I think she's lost it.
"But we don't even know him or the girl! Why would we go?" I ask her. She looks at me like I am the worst person in the world.
"We can give our respects to someone who died for us. And to his poor girlfriend. I can't even imagine the pain she must be in."
"I think I should go now." I say.
"You just got here." Mom protests.
"And you're going a little crazy."
"I'm going to the funeral, Zach."
"Okay." I say.
"Something wrong?" Mom asks and I shrug.
"Just broke up with Ali. Things weren't really working out between us."
"Oh, Zach, I'm sorry. Are you okay?" Mom asks.
"Fine. We weren't working so I broke it off."
"The right girl is out there. And I really hope you find her." Mom says under her breath. I start to leave and then turn around.
"I wanna know about the funeral." I say before I leave and mom smiles.
"I'll call you when I get home." She tells me and I leave. I head over to Cameron's.
"Did you hear about the girl who lost her fiancé?" He asks and I nod.
"Just left my mom's. She was really bothered by it. She's actually going to the funeral on Saturday so she can pay respects."
"Wow, you're mom's a little crazy sometimes." Cameron says and I laugh.
"I know she is."
"Where's Ali?" He asks and I shrug.
"Don't know."
"You broke it off with another girl?" Cameron asks and he makes it sound like I do this all the time. I haven't broken up with that many girls.
"She just wasn't the one. We don't love each other, or at least, I don't love her. Fans wouldn't have liked her anyway."
"Zach, you have to find a girl eventually." He tells me.
"So do you." I throw back.
"Yeah, but at least I don't get them and throw them away."
"You just plain don't get them." I say and he laughs.
"Guess I don't. And I thought the band would change that." He jokes.
"There are a million fans that would honestly kill to date you. Pick one and go." I say.
"I can't. Because there are so many who care that much I can't just pick one. All of the others would be completely crushed."
"You're too nice. I'm surprised you aren't going to the funeral with my mom." I say and he laughs.
"Believe me, I thought about it."
"Of course you did." It's time to go home.