Welcome to Paradise

Death Of Me

After Alex walks off I go after him but he’s gone. Part of me knows I should go find him something diffidently is up with him... But I don’t. What he said hurt and maybe I’m hoping he’ll come find me.
“Sound-check! Band to the stage now!” I hear Matt yell. I stand up from the couch I’ve been lying on in the dressing room ever since the interview. I walk out to the stage where Danny hands me my guitar, I run my fingers over the strings. Am I really as bad as Alex says I am?
“Don’t think too hard there Jack” laughs Rian.
“Huh?” Rian just laughs.
“Rian, am I bad guitarist?”
“What? No, no Jack you’re not bad. Maybe not legendary but not bad”
“Thanks Ri” I smile slightly.
“What brought that on?” he asks, taking the seat at his drums.
“Nothing....”
“Well okay” He drops it and starts drumming. I don’t even notice Zack come in until I hear the familiar sound of his bass.
“Hey where’s Alex?” Matt asks seeing only the three of on stage.
“Haven’t seen him since the interview” I mutter.
“Fuck” he says and wonders off to find our singer. A few minutes later after the rest of us are warmed up, tuned up and ready to go Alex comes in, his guitar hanging over his shoulder.
“You took your time” says Zack. “Where were you?”
Alex just shrugs and swings his guitar around. I roll my eyes and begin playing. Again and again I practice the middle to Dear Maria but not once do I get it right.
“Don’t injure yourself there” says Zack.
“I just can’t get it” I say, frustrated.
“It’s okay, just don’t play it”
“But that’s not the point, I’m the fucking guitarist and I can’t play!”
“Really don’t worry about it” Says Rian.
“But...”
“We’re all used to your guitar playing by now, it’s okay you can’t play one bit” says Alex, it’s the most comforting thing he’s said all day, even if half of it is an insult.
Finally the lasts chords to Break Your Little Heart ring into the empty venue and Matt calls it quits.
Zack starts talking to Matt, about some technical stuff but I’m not listening.
“Are you alright mate? You’ve been very distracted today” says Rian.
“Yeah, yeah just fine” I say, staring at Alex.
“He’ll be fine” he says.
I don’t answer I just watch Danny take Alex’s guitar before he disappears off to where ever it is he’d rather be.
I don’t see Alex again until show time, I’ve been hanging about back stage with the other guys, having a bit to drink, a football game and trying to ignore the fact my boyfriend is avoiding me.
“5 minutes until show time guys” says Matt, I pick up my guitar I can do this time. I can go the night without fucking up.
“There you are Alex, I thought Jack was going to have to sing” laughs Rian as Alex finally joins us.
“Good thing I’m here then, we don’t want to lose fans” Alex jokes.
“Hey!” The others all laugh before there’s a roar of the crowd, the lights drop, the curtain falls and we go out.
“I got your picture I’m coming with you Dear Maria count me in!” The whole crowd is going mad as we play the last song.
“There’s a story at the bottom of the bottle and I’m the pen” I take my guitar, determined not to the fuck this up like I always do. Alex loses his guitar, takes his mic and heads out to the crowd. Zack and Rian are still playing and for once so am I, normally I give up my guitar and join Alex but I want to prove that I can do this.
“Take a breath and let the rest come easy, never settle down because the cash flow leaves me” Alex sings and I play. He looks over him and smiles, I smile back. I didn’t fuck up, I actually did it!
“Wow well done Jack!” Zack pats me on the shoulder as we walk off.
“Knew you could do it mate” chimes in Rian.
“Yeah well done” I grab Alex’s wrist and place a kiss on his cheek.
“I’ve missed you today” I say, he just smiles and ruffles my sweaty hair. We stay in the venue and have a few drinks, but I notice Alex soon disappears again. I head back to the bus hoping to find him. I open the door and hear noises from inside.
“Alex” I call, assuming it’s him as everyone else is still in the venue. “Alex?” I walk on to the bus. I find Alex is sitting on the couch in the back lounge, he’s legs wrapped around some other guy.
“Alex....” my heart drops.
“Oh Jack....”
“You....You’ve been cheating on me?” I ask, voice shaking.
“I’m sorry Jack” he says, removing his legs from around the other guy’s waist.
“That’s all you have to say? Sorry?” My voice is cracking as I try not cry.
“What else do you want me to say?” he asks. The other guy is still sitting there looking totally confused by the whole situation.
“I think you better leave” I hiss. The guy scrambles up and rushes off the bus.
“So, what do you want from me huh Jack?”
“Why? Why would you do this? After everything we’ve been through” I ask, tears beginning to run down my face.
“I’m not good at the whole ‘break up’ thing so I thought this might work”
“What the fuck is wrong with you?” I scream, the whole thing starting to break me.
“Sorry Jack”
“Don’t you love me anymore?” I whimper.
“Aw poor Jacky” he starts to walk towards me, I try to push him back but my attempted is weak.
“G...Get away from me” I mumble.
“Poor little Jacky, broken and defeated all in the name of love”
“W...What did you just say?” I look him hard in the eye, something’s not right here (By the obvious) that doesn’t sound like something Alex would say. Then I see it his eyes change, they go from his normal chocolate brown colour to completely black....
“Goodbye Jack” he turns and walks off the bus. I crumble to the floor, everything hitting me at once but all I can see his eyes, his horrible black eyes...