Status: Intermittent

Little Nora Grows Up

Part 1 - School Daze

The bells rang it’s usual high-pitched cry, and there was the brief, mad, shuffle for our books and papers, and scrambling for our bags hanging on the backs of our chairs. Aiden was at my desk in a flash. “It’s time for lunch. Come on, I’m starving!” Somehow she was able to magically spirit her books into her bag before anyone else in the class. I, on the other hand, always seemed to run into trouble.

“Oh, where is my red pen?” I moaned, digging around in my desk. I pushed aside a few crumpled papers, but could only find half of a pencil. I reached into the corner and was greeted with a sharp, searing pain.

I hissed loudly, unconsciously, glaring at the inside of my desk. Everyone in the classroom jumped and threw nervous glances my way, before filing quickly out.

I closed my mouth, covering my exposed fangs. I felt my chest deflate as the usual hopelessness settled in. “They’re never going to get used to me.” I said sadly. I stared at the tips of my fingers, which glowed an angry red. Before my eyes, the wounds quickly healed.

“Nora, that’s not true.” Aiden said comfortingly. She reached into my desk and pulled out the silver coin hidden in the corner. “Don’t get down over a few stupid pranks.” She tugged on my elbow. “Come on, let’s go get some lunch.”

“I can’t find my red pen.” I pouted, leaning my head on Aiden’s arm. I was growing every day, but was still only just up to her shoulder.

“Not the one I gave you? With the little pink heart crystal hanging from the top?”

I nodded. “That’s the one.”

“Oh, that’s it!” Aiden yelled. She waved her fist at the crowd of girls ahead of us in the hallway. “I WILL find the one that’s pulling these lame pranks!” she declared. “You’d better watch your step!”

“You’re embarrassing yourself.” I sighed, lifting my head and looking straight. “Besides, coming to my rescue all the time isn’t making you any friends.”

“Bah, human friends are so mainstream.” Aiden said dismissively, pushing her dyed-black bangs out of her smokey eyes.

“You don’t mean that, do you, Aiden?” a small voice said from behind us.

We both turned to Aimie, who was walking a few feet behind us. Her eyes were wide and teary. She let out an exaggerated sniff.

“Come on, Aimie, you know we love you.” Aiden admonished her.

Her face instantly cleared and she smiled cheerfully. She ran up to us and wedged herself in the middle, hooking her arms under ours. “Just making sure, now let’s go get lunch.”

********

Our table was a bit apart from the others, as most of the student body disliked being around someone who drank pig’s blood at lunch time. Aiden acted cool and un-bothered by it. Aimie squirmed in her chair and never really look directly at me when I was drinking from the plain white carton on the table, but she was too loyal to me to sit somewhere else. I tried my best for her, such as using a black straw and making sure my teeth weren’t stained afterwards.

I leaned over politely and peered at their lunches. “What’s for lunch today?”

“Soup.” Aimie grimaced, stirring her spoon in her bowl aimlessly. The broth inside seemed a little thick for soup, but I wasn’t very well versed on human food. “It’s too hot out for soup.”

Aiden lifted her bowl closer to her mouth, finishing off her food quickly. “Beef Consommé is my favorite!” she exclaimed, setting the bowl back down. “It’s a shame you can’t have any, Nora.”

“Even if I could, I’m not able to taste it.” I reminded her.

“That only makes it more tragic.”

“You can’t taste at all?” Aimie asked curiously. “Not even...” She looked at my carton, then away again.

“I can’t taste blood either.” I told her. “I don’t think I’m missing out though, since I’ve never had a sense of taste.”

Aiden tore her bread in half and used it to sop up the bit of broth in her bowl. “Is that a papillon thing, or just a Nora thing?”

I took a long sip from my carton and set it back on the table gently. “It’s just me, as far as I know. I believe it’s because of my fire.” I cupped my hands together and a small flame lit itself in the middle, casting a gentle warmth over my hands. “Even when I’m not showing it, it’s always inside of me, burning.”

“Is that why you always feel warm?” Aimie asked.

I nodded. “Papillons must expend their blood to create warmth, which is why so many choose to remain cold. Mine does not come from my blood, but deeper inside, where my fire glows.”

I stared at the tiny flame, feeling comfort spread through me. Seeing it was so reassuring, though I always had to take care. Fire was a force to be respected, as a tiny spark could grow and consume entire buildings.

“Little girls should not play with fire.” a cold voice said next to me.

Startled, I turned my head, looking up. My fire went out like a doused candle.

Franceska loomed over me, her arms folded, her expression stern. Aiden’s sister possessed a cold beauty that perpetually put me on edge. “I wasn’t playing.” I said, feeling nervousness expand in my throat.

“Then what were you doing?” she asked, her steely eyes glinting.

“I...” How could I properly explain to her how my fire made me feel? That I was always careful with it?

“Were you trying to set the table on fire? The cafeteria?”

“Franceska, stop it.” Aiden interrupted. “Leave her alone. She doesn’t mean any harm.”

“She doesn’t mean it, but she’s more than capable of causing it, right?” Franceska asked, keeping her eyes on me.

“I wouldn’t...” I began, but she didn’t let me answer.

Instead she turned and walked away. “Just don’t burn the school down.”

Aiden got to her feet, slamming both hands on the table. “Franceska, come back here right now! Apologize!”

The entire cafeteria was looking at us now. I could hear every whisper running through the crowd like currents. Everyone was scared of me, of the fact that I was a papillon, that I controlled fire. Distrust layered deep under the hushed voices.

I propelled myself out of my chair, reaching my hand out to Franceska’s back. “Wait, I wasn’t-” I then tripped over my own shoes and fell to the floor with a cry.

Aimie was there at once, helping me to my feet. “Are you alright?” she asked in concern.

“I’m unhurt.” I reassured her. “Just surprised.”

Aiden was giving me a hopeless look. “I thought papillons were super graceful.”

I frowned at me feet, my shoes felt uncomfortably tight. “I outgrew my shoes during lunch, that’s why.” I explained.

“All right then, let’s pick up another pair before Barnes’ class.” Aiden sighed. I slipped off my shoes, carrying them with one hand while I pulled my bag strap over my shoulder. I headed for the nearest exit. “Wait, are you going to walk upstairs in your stockings?” she called after me.

“I’m a papillon, what harm does a hard floor do to me?” I said sadly.

“Yeah, but your stockings will get all dirty!” Aimie cried, hurrying after me.

********

The cafeteria was dark and empty. Moonlight shone dimly through the tall windows, highlighting the tables and chairs, all neatly put away and pushed to the edges of the room.

I stood in the center, all alone.

The night made me shiver from uneasiness. Where was everyone? They couldn’t all be asleep, some classes were even held at night. This room should be brightly lit and busy with the hum of voices and the clinking of silverware on plates.

As deserted as the cavernous room was, I sensed a presence nearby. “Hello?” I called out. “Where is everyone?”

Silence greeted me, and I shivered again.

I held my hand up in front of me and summoned my flame. Instantly the cold room seemed warm and lively, firelight dancing on the walls and reflecting off the glass.

Just then, a chill wind blew through the cafeteria, flinging my hair in front of me and extinguishing my flame.

The sudden cold made me tense and I pulled my arms to my chest. I bowed my head against it. The floor at my feet reflected the moon strangely, and my eyes widened when I realized it was covered in a thin sheet of ice.

I turned towards the source of the wind and immediately slipped on the icy floor. I landed hard on my backside, the cold biting my bare legs. Frost slowly crept it’s way up my calves.

I was frightened now, and desperately trying to summon my fire. It would not heed my call, instead shrinking in my chest like a wilting flower. The frost continued to climb, freezing my knees. I tried to rub it away, but it only clung to my hands as well.

My hair hung stiffly around my face, burning my skin where the cold tendrils touched. My body was getting heavier, my movements sluggish. This unbearable cold was making it’s way inside of me, to my heart.

Till my flame went out.

********

“Now lastly, raise both arms up over your head.”

I complied, reaching upwards as far as I could. “Provezzor Barnes, Madame Ruth took my meazurements lahst week.” I reminded him. “During my viz-ickal.” My mouth moved around the English words uncomfortably. I had mostly learned the language from books, and my pronunciation was way off.

“Yes, I know.” The tape measure in his hand zipped closed and he turned his eyes to a small notebook in his other hand. “My own, daily, measurements are much more precise. Your growth has been alarmingly fast and I want to make sure I document every, fascinating, second of it.” He patted his shirt pocket. “If only I could find my pen...”

My eyes went to his left ear, which his pen was tucked behind. “Eet’z zere.” I gestured with my chin, not sure if it was okay for me to lower my arms yet.

Professor Barnes looked behind him at the desk. “I’m sure I had it with me.”

“Non, eet’z behind your ear.”

He reached up to his ear and found his pen. “Ah, thank you very much, Nora.” He glanced at me in confusion. “Why are you still holding your arms up?”

I dropped them and sighed. “Am I done?”

“Just... a... moment...” he said, scrawling quickly in his book. He closed it with a snap and turned his full attention to me. “Now, have you noticed anything different about yourself lately? Any new changes?”

“Madame Ruth zed zat iv I keep tearing my zockz, she’d string me up in ze hall.”

“You’re tearing your socks because your feet are growing so fast?”

I nodded. “Alzo, I’ve been ‘aving bad dreamz.”

This took Barnes by surprise. His glasses slipped down his nose and he adjusted them quickly. “Are you telling me that you have dreams? When you… sleep?”

The flame in my chest flared indignantly. “Ov courze I do, and I zleep like you do. I am alive az you are.”

“Have I insulted you? My apologies, that was not my intention.” he said earnestly. “You’re the first vampire I’ve had a chance to sit down and talk with, and I’m still learning. There’s still so much that I don’t know.”

I stuck out my lips in a pout as I felt my indignation deflate. “I zuppoze...”

“Please, do tell me about your dream.” the excitement in his voice was just barely contained. “Who knows, perhaps I can help? I sometimes counsel the other students.”

I let out an exasperated sigh. “Zey are not good dreamz. I’m all alone and... cold.”

“Cold?” The Professor had his notebook open again and his pen ready.

I nodded slowly, shivering a little at the memory. “Everyzing iz covered in ice. I’m alvays ‘ere in the school, but a divverent room each time. Ze ozer students are never zhere, It’z alvays me alone.”

He closed a look and gave a sympathetic look over his glasses. “Nora, in the time you’ve been here, have you made many friends?”

“Aiden and Aimie.” I answered promptly. “Zey are boz quite energetic, and more than I can ‘andle. Mozt timez I like to be alone.”

“Okay, maybe ‘friends’ is the wrong way to approach this. Have you been getting along with the other students? Have there been any problems?”

I thought about the silver coin in my desk, along with all the other small silver items I had found tucked away inside my clothes or shoes, and I bowed my head. “I’ve grown attached to zis place. Ze building iz old and beautivul. I can veel the memories ‘ere, buried in ze stonez. Zis iz a zafe ‘orizon zat ‘as wiztood countlezz azzaultz. Yet, ze onez zat dwell ‘ere... iv zey do not accept me, zen zis will never be my ‘ome.”

The professor placed a warm hand on the top of my head. “Well, I think you’re a good girl, Nora.” He said reassuringly. “You come here every night and help me with my research and you’ve never complained, not even once.” I lifted my head and looked up at him, really seeing him for the first time. Professor Barnes was fairly average in height and weight, but his face was handsome in it’s gentleness. His soft brown hair matched his soft brown eyes, giving his entire face warmth. The fire in my chest flared up again, but differently this time, not angry or indignant.

“I welcome you here.” He smiled at me, a wide, genuine smile that brightened his whole face and made his eyes shine.

The flame inside of me roared and blood rushed to my face. My heart started to flutter. My muscles twitched, desperate to move. To flee or to fight, I wasn’t sure. I took the second option, stepping backwards quickly. I wasn’t paying attention to what was behind me and knocked over a chair.

“Nora, are you alright?” he asked, his expression a mix of confusion and concern. “Did I insult you again?” His hand was still outstretched.

“I’m sorry I need to go.” I said quickly in French. I turned and fled, running out the open door and into the hallway.

I was on the other side of the school before I stopped running, my hands clutching my chest as the fire inside of me beat against my ribcage. I leaned my back against the cool stone wall and desperately tried to gather myself.

What was wrong with me? Why were my insides so mixed up? Why was my fire so high? I felt like I could lose control of it at any second.

“Nora! You’ve gotten so big in the week I’ve been gone!” A new voice, from down the hall. I turned towards it and saw Kieran walking towards me. He had on his usual long coat. His long hair was messier than usual though, some of it hanging in his eyes. He must have just come in from another fight. His one blue eye twinkled in mirth, an easy smile on his lips. “I remember when you were this high.” He brought his hand up to around his waist.

Seeing Kieran only made things worse. My whole body felt like it was on fire now. It was too much, I had to get away. “Excuse me!” I turned and ran back down the hallway. I didn’t stop running till I was back in my room. I shut the door, leaning against it as if someone might break it down.

Almost immediately there was an urgent knock. I backed away fearfully. “Nora, are you all right?” Aiden’s voice came from the other side. “I saw you run in here, are you crying?”

“Don’t come in!” I shouted. “It’s not safe!” I could feel blood pulsing right to the tips of my fingers. If I lost control now, I could bring the whole school down.

Of course Aiden opened the door anyway. There were no locks in the school. “What’s the matter? Did someone hurt you? Tell me right now!”

Seeing Aiden’s face, so concerned and angry at the same time, I felt the heat inside of me drain away. My legs felt so weak, so I just slumped on the carpet in a heap.

She looked down at me through her short, dyed black hair and her smoky eyes lined with too much liquid eyeliner. She pointed one purple fingernail at me. “Who did this to you? I’ll kick their asses.”

I shook my head weakly. “No, I’m all right now. I think. Something came over me when I was in Professor Barnes’ office, but it’s gone now. I thought I was going to explode.”

Aiden knelt down on the carpet in front of me. “Do you want to talk about it?” she asked, her voice softer now.

“I’m not sure how to describe it.” I answered. “It just came over me so suddenly...”

“What did it feel like?”

“My whole chest felt like it was burning up. I almost lost control of my fire.”

“What was going on at the time? Were you being bullied?”

I shook my head. “I was having my height measured like usual, and Professor Barnes was asking me how I was getting along at the school.”

“What did you tell him?”

I turned my attention to the carpet. “I told him that I still wasn’t fully welcome here.”

“And what did he say?”

“He... welcomed me.” I felt my face flush again at the memory, but it was only an echo of the searing heat I had felt before. I covered my face with my hands. “Then everything went crazy. I almost lost control of my fire right in the office. I knocked over a chair and ran out.” How could I have almost let that happen? I was always so careful... controlling my fire was second nature to me, how could I have lost control of it?

Aiden had been silent for a few minutes now, and I peered at her over my hands. She hand her hand to her mouth in a thoughtful expression. “I don’t think this has anything to do with your fire ability.” she said at last.

“What?” I asked, lowering my hands.

“Professor Barnes is fairly attractive...” She glanced up at me, then looked away. “In his own way.”

“What?” I asked again.

“You’ve been growing awfully fast in a short amount of time. You’re probably going through some accelerated form of puberty.”

“...what?”

She reached out and calmly put her hand on my chest. “Yeah, definitely puberty.”

I jumped up to my feet. “What?!”

She held up both hands, palms facing me. “Calm down, it’s okay. You’re not dying or losing control of your powers. You’re just growing up, Nora.”

I stared at her in disbelief, my eyes wide. A sudden thought occurred to me then, and I pointed at her. “After I ran out of the office I ran into Kieran in the hallway and it happened again! No, worse!” I thought for a moment. “But when I saw you, it went away...”

“Kieran and Professor Barnes are the only two guys in the whole school.” Aiden said simply. “There you go.”

I backed up until I hit my bed. I sat down slowly. “Are you sure I’m not dying? It feels like dying...”

“Trust me, it’s puberty. It felt like dying when it happened to me too, though it was over the course of two years, not two days.”

I laid back on my bed in relief. I was so glad I wasn’t losing control of my fire. It was the most important thing I had. My only warmth. The next second I tensed up. “Is this going to happen again?”

“Probably. You’ll learn to live with it like everything else. I’ll say this though, things are going to get pretty interesting around here.”