Beyond Far Away

Prologue

- Prologue -

The forest was filled with intriguing sounds of birds, rodents and reptiles rushing to hide from an upcoming storm. However, a woman patiently stood among the wilderness, blue leaves dancing around her tense body. She had her inhuman eyes focused on something quite far away, an elegant bow fully prepared to shoot. The air seemed to vibrate in expectation for something much more exhilarating than deafening thunder and red bolts of lightning. Adriana had a dangerous smile upon her teasingly inviting lips. She knew he was here, just where...?

A gust of wind dashed between multicoloured trees, howling like a wounded animal and slapped a few crimson strands of hair against the pale woman. She did not even twitch and glanced around, her eyes of a true huntress. A huntress, which was about to become prey to a very mischievous man. As heavy beads started falling from the bitter sky, the man made his move, knowing that while Adriana had better sight and intuition, she lacked his astonishing hearing.

Michael waited no more and lunged for the woman. At the same time the carmine haired female spun and relaxed her grip on a well crafted arrow, granting the sharp instrument freedom to soar with deadly grace. The man barely paid any attention to it as he simply closed the distance between him and Adriana. He had outdone the girl and was glowing with pride.

"I believe this belongs to you?" Michael smiled with a teasing sparkle in his lavender eyes.

Adriana stood there completely soaked and annoyed by the four arrows in his hand. She was quite sure he was cheating in some way, which agitated her. How can a person catch arrows with his bare hands? Nevertheless, meeting her match caused a rush of adrenaline the woman had longed for quite awhile. Her navy eyes narrowed playfully as she lifted her long leg to kick Michael, still ignorant to the harsh rain. Surprisingly, the impish smirk disappeared from his face. With no more enjoyment the man caught the foot and pulled Adriana closer.

"Two o'clock. Three shadow wolves." He muttered, barely audible as the thunder rumbled with unseen force.

"On three," She nodded grimly. "One, two... THREE!"

They both spun towards three purple hell hounds, completely unaware that their alpha was stealthily closing in from the opposite direction. Michael reached for a gallant silver sword, firmly attached to his waist and jumped on a snarling creature. The man wrestled with one of the beasts as Adriana released a sharp rain upon the others. The creatures were the size of average wolves, however, they looked different. Their bodies were covered in thick dark fur, the colour of an eggplant, red eyes gleamed furiously and the teeth were much sharper and longer than normal. One of the shadow wolves fell to the ground, struck by the woman's arrow, while the other closed the distance and jumped upon the girl.

"Throw it at me!" Michael ordered as he pushed another dead beast off of himself.

Adriana did as told and deflected the wolf's attack by kicking it with as much strength as she could muster. Michael had a gaping wound in his abdomen, but ignoring the discomfort it caused him, slashed at the fur-ball flying his way. As the last wolf fell with a wail, their alpha made its move. It was faster and bigger than the others, not to mention the beast had the ability to shield its scent. The hunters couldn't have noticed it. The girl was closer, though less beaten, so it pounced towards the female.

Adriana screamed in horror and surprise as the alpha's gleaming fangs dug into her shoulder, ripping through muscle and crushing the bone. Her companion decapitated the first shadowy beast to fall under the arrows and spun to gasp with fury at the creature that dared to attack his companion.

"Go!" The woman rasped out, aware of the poison seeping into her blood as the alpha dragged her towards the forest.

"Never," Michael growled back and threw himself at the furry monster, content to die along her.

****

Simultaneously two young adults jumped up in their beds, sweating and anticipating death.

'Just a dream...' They tried telling themselves. Oh how wrong they were.

This was anything but a simple nightmare.