Beyond Far Away

Here, kitty kitty

Here, kitty kitty.

- Chapter nine –

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."(Lao Tzu)

Asheron

"…is why you should never pet their bellies." Mrs. Quentin concluded her explanation, not that Michael was listening to a single word.

It was the last day before the trip to Limbo mountains, therefore, very few students could concentrate on the Creature Behavior Analysis class. The young man was no exception, though his reasons included a certain red-head that he was attempting to pull into his world. Michael had been quite lonely the past few days, not being able to contact Adriana. It was nearly the new moon and it suppressed the connection, the lack of magical energy making it difficult to travel.

Why exactly did they have to go to school for 20 years starting at the age of 5?

"Hey! We need to go to the arena." Caitlyn pointed out in a rushed whisper as the class started walking somewhere.

The young Devin was so absorbed in the bond that he had ignored their CBA teacher announcing the next activities.

"Why are we going there again?" This earned him a chuckle from Seigmond and an angry red glare.

"Man, you really are a lovesick puppy."

"We will be taking care of the demonic felines." Cat dismissed her boyfriend's comment for Michael and answered the question with thick irritation. "Were you asleep or something?"

"Meh..." The young man just waved her off.

They entered a large gym-like room with high ceiling. Its walls were covered in shiny caramel sunstone dust and the ground was solid black granite. The area was empty, aside from an enormous cage, full of powerful beasts. Behind bars the demonic felines hissed and growled, their elegant tails swishing from one side to the other. Although they weren't locked up much against their will, the creatures had a tendency to wander off. Most were pastel coloured, with darker intricate tattoo-like designs on their backs. Nonetheless, the most beautiful trait of a demonic feline was the mineral between their mysterious eyes, matching the fur.

"They are gorgeous!" One of Michael's classmate's, a nymph, exclaimed and the others nodded.

"Okay, class," Mrs Quentin grinned, noting the anticipation. "Every student needs to tame themselves a pet. Your next assignments will involve taking care of these beauties and cooperating with them."

There was a lot of murmurs that grew into loud chatter, but it was nothing compared to what followed next. A chaos of eagerness and anxiousness ensued as the teacher proceeded to open the cage and unleash the beasts upon the crowd of teenagers. A mesmerizing sight it was – the felines either stalked towards or pounced on the children, inspecting them with curiosity, yet intimidating with panther sized bodies of strength and speed. They were known as loyal companions and were quite willing to help people. Yet no one could call demonic felines mere servants or pets. To have such a partner, one had to respect it and earn its trust and aid.

Caitlyn, being the geeky witch that she was, immediately chose her pet-to-be. She bowed her head and extended a hand before a golden male. Just like most magical creatures, demonic felines were able to sense the soul of a person. In Asheron it was believed that to tame one, the individual had to share some qualities. It gave the petite blonde a calculating look and with approval placed its head underneath Cat's palm. Seigmond followed the witch's lead, just like many other children, and received the acceptance from a pink male the same way. While Cat's moved fluidly, somewhat slyly, Seigmond's had a cheerful aura and a playful strut.

Young people continued to bow before the creatures and though some had been rejected, most were gently speaking to their new companions. In ten minutes there were only six pupils and six felines left, Michael included. He scanned the arena for any potential companions and froze, eyes locked on a silver blue beast.

There had been legends of old, evolved demonic felines that were capable of such things as communicating telepathically with their masters, casting spells or even assuming human form. None spoke of what the vampire was about to face.

"This is one hell of a coincidence." He decided, but the demonic creature gave him a haughty look and grinned in a way only a cat could grin.

'Hello, Michael.'

Would you look at that - the telepathic connection was still intact.

Yeah... How exactly?

****

"We are victorious!" Sebastian raised his glass up in the air, his voice booming above men and women with great force. "Three of our own managed to eliminate the witch that had been terrorizing us for centuries and because of them Lilith is no more! Tonight we congratulate them by indulging and enjoying the peace! Tonight we celebrate the demise of evil!"

The crowd cheered, Mr Devin's speech fuelling their excitement. There were about two hundred people, all dressed up in extravagant gowns and suits. The music playing in the background of a candle-lit room was dark, passionate and expressive, amplifying the mysterious atmosphere of a maroon ballroom. Some couples spun in the middle, synchronized as dolls, while others relaxed at the tables with glasses of liquor and sweets. Under the crystal chandeliers women were elegant as wisps of smoke, while their male companions had the confidence of predators. There was one couple, though, that couldn't care less about the mystifying celebration. Like always.

"Can we go now?" Adriana muttered, her polite smile never slipping. "I swear we have spoken to each and every person in this cursed town."

"I wouldn't mind doing so," Michael took a sip of a burning and sweet beverage, eyes fixed on his brother. "However, we still need to speak to Sebastian."

As if hearing his name – and most probably that's exactly what had happened – the demon started heading their way. Adriana emptied another glass of fae rum and shifted her body to face the blond. Sebastian joined their gloomy table with a charming smile.

"I couldn't help but notice that the heroes are somewhat unhappy with the party, is there anything I can do to change that?" The demon was slightly drunk himself, but his words came out powerful and hospitable.

"Just give us the next assignment and we'll get out of your hair," Adriana went straight to the point, her blue eyes glaring at the strand of hair that had escaped from the bun.

"Ah, you are so uptight, love."

"Seriously, Sebastian? We haven't had a break for weeks now and I personally would much rather be in bed."

"Fine, fine. However, I cannot miss the opportunity to ask the beauty here for at least one dance." At this the huntress rolled her eyes, but stood up.

"One dance and we're out of here." Adriana straightened the blood-red silk with a soft smile. No matter how tired, she loved to dance.

"Why, of course," Sebastian took her gloved hand in his and led the selene to the dance floor.

Michael, meanwhile, waved for another drink and, with little interest in what was in the glass, consumed it. He was watching the spinning pairs with little concentration. The fatigue was getting to the hunter and yet his senses were quite sharp. The vampire could smell the mixture of perfumes, smoke and flowers all around. His ears picked up the soft laughter, the clings of glasses and clicking of heels. The temperature was cool enough that only the most energetic of dancers perspired. And yet, it all remained unnoticed.

After the incident with the kelpies and medusa all of them had returned back to the city of Ravenie, where many of the hunters resided. Three days later Lucas barged into their home, excited about the new appointment. Once Adriana had beaten him to a pulp they all set off to L'Aquil. For weeks they had been ambushing imps and familiars, getting barely any sleep as their hunt for the witch named Lilith ensued. Success turned their way only yesterday, when they managed to confront the murderer. It was a struggle, but the hunters performed the killing. The most astonishing part of the story? Instead of sending them home Sebastian threw a party.

So here he was, still aching and tired, but in a black unique ensemble and with a smile that felt more like a slice on hi face.

"Mikey!" The annoying chimera shouted through the slow, mysterious melody. "Where's my girl?"

Lucas was obviously inebriated, proving once again that he had no control over his desires. Michael decided to answer, in hopes of getting the pest to retreat.

"I will simply assume it is Adriana you're talking about. She's with Mr Devin, dancing."

"Ah, how terrible! I was just about to... eh?"

The irritant literally fell to the ground, missing the seat through the haze, amusing the vampire for a second. Then his eyes followed Lucas' gaze and narrowed in confusion. Adriana was closely pressed against the demon, her teasingly red lips whispering something in Sebastian's ear. Judging from the seductive smile the huntress wore and the astonishment on the blond's face, it wasn't hunt related. Dismissing it Michael caught a pink-haired female carrying exotic sweets and took one for himself. He assured himself that there was a reason why Adriana was acting this way. Nonetheless, his eyes turned a shade darker.

The pair returned shortly after, chuckling at the way Lucas was passed out on the floor.

"I do not suppose you would like to stay any longer?" Sebastian looked from Adriana to Michael.

"Not really, I'm exhausted." The huntress replied with a smirk. "Shall we?"

She glanced at her partner, files in her gloved hands. Michael nodded and followed the huntress out of the ballroom. Only Sebastion noticed the possessive hand that his brother placed on the woman's lower back.

They were staying at a residence that belonged to one of Sebastian's rich friends, which was not that far away. Therefore, their walk was silent. The night sky was cloudy, but neither one noted that as they entered the manor. Instead of going over the new assignment, both decided to call it a night. Without further delay Michael untied Adriana's dress (which would have been a pain in the neck for the woman), showered and with a quick 'good night' fell to his bed.

* * *

Both suns were up in the sky when Adriana awoke, her mind fuzzy but alert, nonetheless. She was still tired, but instincts told her that something was moving in the manor. While it could have been the vampire, she was not certain. Not willing to take risks she jumped out of the king sized bed, barely noticing that her attire consisted only of a modest white slip. The huntress unsheathed Michael's sword - that somehow had gotten into her room - and stealthily stepped out.

Just like usual bedrooms, the hunters' were on the second floor. Hearing the shuffling coming from underneath gave the huntress an advantage. For a second she wondered whether Michael had heard the intruder, yet decided that there was no way he hadn't. Vampires were known as very sensitive creatures, especially when it came to sound.

"Adriana?" It was as though the selene had summoned him.

Michael was already on the ground floor, hidden behind a corner, when the girl descended down the stairs. His voice was hushed, conveying one question in particular.

What should they expect?

The girl shrugged and slipped beside him, pressing her body against his to glance at the hallway and nodded towards it to announce that she was going to investigate. Michael tipped his head forward and switched swords with the girl before concentrating on the noises. As Adriana disappeared, something heavy and fragile fell to the floor, breaking in the process. The vampire immediately dashed towards the source and barely avoided a ball of fluff. The vase that had received the blow was beyond repair anyway, so no one paid attention to it.

"It's Lilith's familiar!" Adriana exclaimed and swung at the demonic feline, ever so graceful (that is, stumbling over some objects that lay on the ground).

It dodged the blow and hissed dangerously at the huntress. It was only now that Michael noticed her lack of clothing. Slightly disturbed by the interest it raised he turned away, a second too late. The silver beast landed on the hunter and roared, the grey-blue mineral between its eyes lighting for a moment.

'I'm no familiar of the witch, you fools!' It spoke inside Michael's head, glaring at the man.

Adriana jumped forward, ready to kick the fur-ball away, only to be stopped by her partner.

"It's not her familiar," The vampire declared, still on the ground.

"What is it then?"

'I'm no it you disgraceful humanoid!' The feline hissed once more, obviously disliking the huntress. 'I am Eudora. The witch had imprisoned and separated me from my master. I've come to you for help. I must return to my master's side as soon as possible.'

Michael stared for a second and then decided to voice the creature's words to the girl.

"Who's your master then?" Adriana went straight to the point, as usual.

'I'm the guardian of Luna Vervloet.'

The hunter was already aware of where this was going.

"You're Adriana's mother's familiar?" The girl, not sure of what was going on, simply stared.

'This wench is a Vervloet?!'

Instead of starting an argument, the hunter sat up, lavender eyes wide in shock. Only that wasn't the end of the excitement.

"My mother's dead." Adriana pointed out.

****

Earth

"Okay, I can't take it anymore. Who is it?"

Suzanne's eyes were gleaming with interest, while Adriana's reflected pure surprise.

"What are you talking about?"

"Oh, come on! You've been giggling at nothing and staring at some random spots for weeks now. A girl's patience has its limits. Who is it that you like?"

The two women were sitting on a bench outside, enjoying ice-cream. It was another summer-like spring day – full of sunshine, birds and laughter. Thus, this lunch break became the perfect opportunity for Suzy to interrogate her friend. She had been eager to do so for quite some time. The red-head, on the other hand, did not appreciate the topic as much. Sure she had her moments of choking laughter – thanks to Michael's nasty remarks – and would focus for more than a moment on one object – to make it move, burn or vanish – but it was not because she had a crush on anyone.

"You couldn't be farther from the truth," Adriana murmured, eyes on the chocolate goodness.

"Listen, you may not wish to admit it to yourself yet, but there is someone. Wait... It's not Josh, is it?" Sincere panic shot through the brunette. "Oh my God! That is why you won't tell me! It's Josh!"

"No, no, no!" Now the carmine haired female was getting frustrated. "I don't like Josh." Boy, was that a relieved sigh that Suzy released.

"If not my crush then who?"

Coming up with no means of escape, Adriana shrugged.

"His name is Michael." Who knows, maybe she was a little attracted to the boy. "But I swear we're nothing but friends."

"Wait... Isn't he like the guy you had dreamt about over a year ago?"

"Yeah... about that..."

How do you explain things without explaining them?

****

The demonic feline waited impatiently, her tail twitching with irritation.

"You know what," Adriana finally gave up, irked by Eudora's intense stare. "Why don't you just tell me what do you want?"

The panther-like beast jumped on Michael's lap and started purring.

"She wishes to know how did the gentle Luna bear a monstrosity such as yourself." The hunter scratched the creature's spine, smirking as he voiced her thoughts.

They were in a living room, at the fancy manor. Adriana was reading a book while Michael attempted to take a nap. Their last assignment – capturing a fugitive were-cat – had gone extremely well, all thanks to their new companion. Eudora was experienced in tracking and very intelligent, which was a great addition to the couple of devils. They returned home in four days, without a single scratch.

Adriana was already used to the way the feline treated her, but it still annoyed her. For unknown reasons Eudora had immediately taken a liking to the vampire and labelled his partner as an arch-enemy.

"Why are you still here, kitty? Shouldn't you just vanish to do your own thing?"

"I'm honouring my master's memory by staying close to the offspring. Did Luna marry a phoenix to have a child such as yourself?" Michael replied for the silver beast, eyes closed. "I mean what sort of a selene has such disgusting hair?"... Now that he did not agree with. The young man found Adriana's hair very appealing.

'Nonsense. She is impure.'

"You know what, cat? I don't care. You have no mission – my mother, her sister Celeste, Philip and my father all burned to death – so just move on. Leave me alone." The red-head's eyes flashed dangerously as she dashed out of the room.

'Burnt to death?'

"I know nothing of this," Michael sighed and stood up himself. "Stay here and behave. I'll talk to her."

'Forget the woman! Massage my fur, hunter!' The demonic feline arched her back and looked at the vampire, making him laugh.

"You two are identical," He decided and walked to the veranda. It was the huntress' most favourite spot in the house.

Adriana had settled on an iron swinging bench and that's where Michael found the red-head. Her eyes were closed as the wind caressed her cheeks. The air was humid, the only sun hidden behind layers of dark clouds. Michael joined the girl, silent for a while, feeling the cool metal beneath him. They had been together for so long that there was little use for words in such situations. The hunter knew that if his companion had any desire to confide in him, she would do so without any encouragement. And confide in him she did.

"I was away with my friends, practising offensive spells and sunbathing when it happened." Adriana's voice was soft. She had been prepared to speak about it for so long that it was nearly a relief to finally explain things to Michael. "I still don't know why or who, but my parents were having a party of their own when they were murdered. They had invited my aunt's family for dinner that day. Someone locked the house, both manually and by magic, before burning them alive. I received the notice and rushed there, but it was the silent fire. No one could stop it, and neither could I. So I just... I just watched them all turn to ashes."

The vampire glanced at the sad blue eyes and offered a comforting smile, knowing that even after hundreds of years the pain, the longing to change something was still there, chewing at the young woman's strong soul. He opened his arms, quietly inviting the huntress to be embraced. Though his parents had passed by no mysterious circumstances, he still knew the feeling of loss. Adriana looked exhausted and fragile at that moment. Sure, she did trust him, but Michael knew that something like a painful past was very personal. Reliving such a shocking experience, narrating it required great mental preparation from the selene.

"I'm not the hugging type..." Adriana smiled slightly, acknowledging the offer.

The mood was still gloomy, but lighter, nonetheless.

"Me neither."

Laughing at his words, the huntress gave in and wrapped her hands around the strong abdomen. Who knew Michael could be so sweet? The vampire pulled her closer by the waist, lips curved into a smile. It was now or never.

"If it's any consolation, I think your hair colour is exquisite."

"Careful, Michael. I might start liking you." The huntress chuckled against his chest, indulging in the rare safe physical contact (usually people were strangling her).

"Well then, I won't add the 'just like everything else about you'." There was a bit more seriousness in the vampire's voice than intended, but the girl paid no attention.

With a smile she pulled away and shook her head at him. As she pulled away, a silky strand escaped the vampire's gentle grasp, forming a frown of confusion. Declaring that there was a book waiting to be finished off, the huntress departed, leaving Michael a bit cold. He went through the story once more, staring at the city lights in the distance and nodded off once the information had settled down in his mind.

Meanwhile, the seed of a new bond between them was already begging to sprout.