Beyond Far Away

Children with matches

Chapter eleven –

"When one is in love, one always begins by deceiving one's self, and one always ends by deceiving others. That is what the world calls a romance." (Oscar Wilde)

Earth

Adriana glared at the ceiling with hatred one could expect only from an exhausted and feverish girl. It was 3 am, but the feeling of being smothered by the blankets, clothes and even air itself kept the red-head awake. Surprisingly, her thoughts would constantly drift back to a certain young man, his mysterious world and magic. How divine would it be, if Michael would appear and heal her, just like in her dreams?

Or at least bring a glass of water...?

"I guess I could try that myself..." Adriana murmured as her eyes locked on the mentioned object.

Concentrating as much her dizzy mind would allow, the red-head willed the glass to move. The magic tingled her flushed skin, tiring the girl even further. Something seemed to drain from Adriana and electrify her in the process. Nonetheless, her efforts were not futile as it twitched towards the edge of a table. At first, the object barely moved, but a second later an invisible hand pushed the glass a good inch or so. Painfully slow it moved towards the edge, but it was one of those rare moments that Adriana could do magic, so she continued. For that second she could feel pride welling up in her aching chest.

Alas, Earth was not a planet of magic - its moon was weak and not a consistent source of magic. When the time came for the glass to float it plummeted to the ground, spilling whatever it had all over the carpet. With a groan Adriana collapsed into the covers, hiding her numb fingers and goosebumps from the cold air. Disgruntlement was clear on her face.

"Didn't go as well, as expected, huh?" Michael's teasing voice startled the girl.

"How long have you been here?" Adriana's question was more than understandable, considering the fact that the vampire was nowhere to be seen.

"Ever since you began the spell, but the connection was so dim that you couldn't hear me. Are you okay?" The young boy was looking intently at his friend, noticing the glossy eyes, tangled hair and a mountain of medicine nearby.

Feeling rather conscious of her appearance, the girl nestled deep within the covers before answering. "I'm ill, that's all."

"Would you like anything?"

The mattress near the young woman's feet sunk, alerting her of the vampire's presence. Absent-mindedly Adriana pulled the covers closer, smiling at him. Though she couldn't pin point what was in those four words, but emotions laced them heavily, made her feel quite cared-for.

"Not really, although you could heal me with that mumbo jumbo of yours." Michael returned the smile silently.

"I can't, sorry. I am very good at offensive spells, but healing is out of my league." Glancing at the girl he reached out to touch her. "Could you try to strengthen the connection?"

"Hmm?" Was her curious reply.

"Please?" Adriana didn't need to see those lilac gates to the soul to know that they held warmth.

Grinning at the boy (or at least in his direction) she began focusing on his presence.

Silence between them stretched as they both fixated their senses on each other.

"You've taken a shower not long ago." She noted the scent of soap and could help but smile.

Michael chuckled reaching to gently place a hand on the flushed skin, but his essence was still on a different level than hers. Frowning he chose to murmur:

"I went to sleep not too long ago. Sebastian offered to train me and I kind of lost track of time."

He saw the corners of those rosy lips turn upward and was somewhat taken aback by how pleasant the girl's smile was. She was not a fearless huntress, not a hardcore lunar spirit, but a mere girl and even so, she managed to take his breath away with expressions of mild amusement. To touch her would be such heaven...

Minutes later, Adriana heaved a defeated sigh and opened her eyes.

"You'll need to shock, annoy or seduce me into strengthening the bond." She explained in a raw voice, not really surprised that he was still nothing but a ghost.

"I could definitely seduce you into anything, but I need my body for that." Was his cocky reply. However, it sounded as though he was somewhat distracted.

Adriana groaned and rolled into a ball. Her eyelids were fluttering as she looked at the spot, where Michael should have been.

"Tell me something about Asheron. How are Caitlyn and Seigmond doing? Is everyone all right?"

The vampire looked around the room, thinking of what could really interest the girl. In the end, he told her everything he could remember. And the selene was ecstatic. Everything about a different world is exciting.

****

Eudora was once again curled on Michael's lap when Penelope Bello returned to the mansion with Adriana. Both women were dressed up in loose flowy champagne blouses and matching olive green pencil skirts. The hunter had just taken a shower after a run, so water was dripping onto the iron bench from his damp black hair. The veranda was an excellent relaxation and waiting spot. As the huntress approached Michael, Eudora harrumphed in annoyance and escaped to the bushes.

"How are you, ladies?" The vampire offered a polite smile.

"Exhausted." Was Adriana's response as she slumped beside him. "We've been to three fire sites and there wasn't a single hint as to who was setting them."

"Meanwhile, the arsonists were murdering another unlucky family." Penelope's voice was sad and pained. "I think it is absolutely ridiculous that they are wasting time on 'investigating'. Even Mr Devin finds lack of action unnerving."

The selene released a pitiful sigh, her fingers pulling pins out of the messy red bun one by one. She wasn't one to look at the crime scenes instead of dissecting murderers, but her condition did not allow any other activity. Michael didn't like such passiveness as well, yet it was necessary. No one knew who or why, but someone had been burning people alive. There wouldn't be any witnesses left, much less survivors, after the attack. The victims were of different social status, race and from all over the world. The arsonists showed no mercy, murdering people of all age and gender. How many had perished? No one could say for sure. Some accidents could have easily been the attacks and there were no people to notice. It was estimated that the body count was at least 200.

"The journalists had decided to name this group the Lucifer's Angels." The white haired woman murmured. "Some even believe that Lucifer himself had joined these monsters."

Lucifer was one of the eldest fire elementals. Sadly, he was also one of the most famous mentally ill creatures that enjoyed the suffering of others and was truly evil incarnate. He discriminated women, despised children and anyone weaker than him. To Lucifer his race was superior to all the others, while any hybrid had no worth. Neither Adriana nor Michael had met him, but horror of massacres he had initiated reached every generation.

"No wonder, he has never been caught." The hunter murmured, reaching out to help the red-head untangle her locks as lifting hands any higher became painful. "And his only son disappearing from the most secure prison spooked people."

Lucifer's son was barely seven years old when the brainwashed boy - already hateful towards the weak and sickly – vanished. It caused hysteria among many communities.

Little did the people of Asheron know that they were safe - this little monster had gone to cause devastation somewhere else.

"So nothing to go on?" The vampire had his eyes on the curls between his fingers.

"No, nothing."

They spoke about other things for a while, but soon it was time for the witch to go. Penelope bid her goodbyes and teleported back to Sebastian's headquarters, leaving the hunters. Once the two of them were alone, Michael placed his hand around the girl's shoulders and pulled her to his side. He had a thoughtful look that turned to an expectant one.

"So, what do you know?"

"Everything there is to know about these delinquents." The huntress had a self-satisfied glow around her. "We leave in the morning."

****

Michael could feel the girl drifting off to sleep as the connection between them began fracturing, making him fluctuate. Looking at her flushed cheeks he suddenly became painfully aware of the fact that the two of them were alone and Adriana was quite defenceless as well. The feeling reminded him all too well of the way the hunter Michael would longingly gaze at the huntress. It was a similar sensation to that of a thirst, yet unique in a way. The young man knew fairly well what could satisfy the need for liquids, but when it came to the red-head... Would a simple touch be enough? Or would he hunger for more? To hold her, to kiss her...

"I'm going to sleep..." Adriana murmured, completely unaware of the inner turmoil that her friend was experiencing. "Until next time."

"Yeah..." Mouth dry, Michael leaned down.

Although he could not touch her, the proximity was still intoxicating. One kiss would be enough, no? Just one...

And to his surprise, just before Adriana fell into the darkness, his lips gently grazed her warm cheek. The boy jumped back, terrified and exhilarated by the experience. It would be difficult to determine whether it was the fact that they touched or the sensation of desire surging through his veins that threw him back. Yet, it wasn't even close to being enough, he understood as his spirit faded from Adriana's world. How could a hungry man be satiated by crumbs? Lips and soul itself burning, the young man returned to his own bed, no longer capable of sleeping.

****

Adriana reached for her toes, stretching beneath the rising suns, coated in the dawn's glamour. She was outside, enjoying the new day. Her muscles were still sore and the wounds ached, but the huntress couldn't allow the body to lose its flexibility and strength. Not when she was about to face the group that had murdered people with no mercy. Intent on destroying such psychopaths the selene had risen early from slumber. She was not aware that Michael had done so as well, disturbed by her shuffling.

"Good morning," The vampire greeted, voice raspy from sleep.

Startled - not that Adriana would ever admit to it - the girl jumped to her feet and glanced at the balcony, feeling the lavender eyes boring into her. The selene offered a slight smile, acknowledging her partner's presence. Michael looked crumpled and tired, but there was fire livening up his features, even the black bags underneath those mesmerizing eyes.

"You're up early," He noted.

"Yeah, I was rather excited about today," Adriana's smile stretched.

"Hmm, are you sure you're up for it?"

"What do you mean?" The girl had a surprised look on her face. "I can take out a few children with my hands tied behind my back."

Instead of replying the vampire motioned for the huntress to wait and made his way outside. Just as Adriana was about to ask why he did that, Michael grabbed her left hand and swung the girl over his shoulder, slamming her hard against the ground without holding back. Although all air was knocked out of Adriana's lungs, it didn't take long to recover. Pushing herself off of the damp grass, the huntress attempted to kick her partner's shin. The try was unsuccessful and wasting no time Michael pinned Adriana to the ground once more, his knee pressed against her stomach.

"I've been thinking all night about this, but if I can take you out this fast..." The hunter wasn't even breathless, while Adriana was wheezing and furious. "Maybe we should just inform Sebastian about the situation."

"No! I am capable of returning to my duties. It's been days since the dragon. Ugh!" The selene grunted, in as much pain as pressing against barely healed ribs could cause.

"You will not go anywhere. Not until you can defend yourself."

Furious with the man, Adriana looked away, not noticing the apologetic tone. Upon seeing no resistance, the hunter stepped away, but stayed near enough to stop the girl from dashing to save the world from every bad thing there was. The huntress simply rose and slumped back inside, trying to hide the agony her sore body was in after such blows. Michael followed closely, silent as he observed the slack jaw and nearly invisible limp.

"Tell Sebastian what I had told you," Adriana demanded, just before pointedly stepping on Eudora's tail. "I'll be in my room."

***

Sebastian arrived shortly after Michael had sent the letter. During that time the easiest and fastest way to deliver messages was by using magic infused envelopes. They couldn't travel just anywhere, yet there were established points. Luckily, Sebastian was currently in hunter headquarters and bored out of his mind. It didn't take long for him to fetch Penelope. The woman left immediately, noticing the serious look on the younger Devin's face.

When Adriana had finally decided to stop moping around and speak to Sebastian, she ventured into the living room only to find both males laughing and enjoying fine liquors. Hands on hips, the huntress looked intimidating like a strict mother would.

"Really, you cannot enjoy an evening without a bottle?" She noted bitterly.

"Oh, come one, Adriana! Let us have some fun." Sebastian winked and patted a seat by himself. "Rather join us."

"No, thank you," The girl declined. "The last time your brother got drunk he couldn't keep his hands off of me. I'd rather not be present when he starts groping around again."

Michael's reaction was most amusing. He began coughing, the liquor no longer willing to go down his throat. That outer perfection that seemed to be permanent on him was gone in an instant. Lavender eyes pinned the selene with questions that he didn't wish to be answered. The poor vampire was so shocked that he couldn't utter a word. Or was it interest that rendered him speechless?

"What?"The blond male took the lead, although he did look just as confused.

Shrugging Adriana offered an answer as vague as possible.

"When intoxicated all Devins become quite impulsive."

No matter how intrigued it was to observe both men asking each other silently when and what had happened, the huntress spun around to leave the room. Only to be blocked by Eudora, who stopped any bickering that was about to ensue.

'Tell this child to stay.' The feline ordered Michael. 'I need to speak to all of you.'

"And where have you been, kitty?" The huntress muttered bitterly, once seated.

'I had been exploring.' She hissed. 'There's something I discovered tonight. As the wench already had informed the hunter, the arsonists are a group of teenagers, but it's not that simple. It seems that they are descendants of the previous Lucifer's followers.'

"Many had guessed that much." Sebastian pointed out.

'It is also clear that the former are responsible for the demise of the Vervloet family.'

Even as Michael voiced the words, he didn't realize what importance it held to his partner. Adriana went pale in return.

"My parents were killed by Lucifer's people?"

"That's not all..." Sebastian glanced at the girl with pity. "The true target was you, Adriana. As a lunar spirit born under the blood moon..."

"But if it were so, they would have come after me again." Adriana looked baffled.

"We drove them into hiding not too long after the attack." The demon was as sober as one could be. "I'm sorry..."

He didn't finish the sentence and silence soaked into the atmosphere surrounding them. Everyone wore different expressions. Eudora had one of grief, Michael - sympathy, Sebastian - frustration and regret. Adriana's eyes scanned all of them and slowly realization set in as pieces clicked together.

"That's why you were there!" The huntress hissed. "That's why you took me in, trained me!"

The demon looked away, face contorted in pain. There were so many things he couldn't say that would make his actions much more acceptable. He knew that Adriana felt used, betrayed, but explaining that she wasn't a bait or even a pity case required information that he couldn't share.

"Sebastian?" Michael looked just as surprised.

Instead of waiting for answers, Eudora stepped between Sebastian and Michael, her eyes locked on the only selene.

'There's something you should know about the new kids as well. One of their familiars blabbed that they have a hit list. Three guesses who most probably is on it?'

"Ah... Shit."