Status: can't get enough of dylan.

Classics in Summertime

“You don’t look fine."

My body was shaking throughout the entire drive back to Dylan’s place, and every time I looked over at him, all I could see was his bloodied lip. His hands were clutched onto the steering wheel so tight that his knuckles were white, even though they were still covered in blood.

When we pulled up to his house, I couldn’t get out of the car fast enough, and I walked around to Dylan’s side straight away, as if I was worried he wouldn’t be able to stand on his own. He got out of the car just fine, though, and he smiled when he saw me walking towards him.

I grabbed onto his elbow and began pulling him gently through the door, which he had to unlock with his fumbling hands.

“Let’s get you cleaned up,” I said as he shut the door behind us. I turned around to look at him and his face looked even worse in the bright light of his living room. I let out a sad chuckle and shook my head. “You look awful.”

Dylan gave me a sympathetic smile while he pressed his finger to his lip. “I’m fine, Ev. I promise.”

“You don’t look fine,” I said quickly, taking a step closer to him so I could grab onto his arm. “Just let me help you.”

Dylan said nothing else before he was guiding me to the bathroom on the opposite side of the house. He popped on the light and sat on top of the counter beside the sink.

“Where are your towels?” I asked as I began running the water to make it as cold as it could get.

Dylan nodded behind me in the direction of the linen closet. “Right there.”

I pulled out the first washcloth I could find and ran it under the water, just so the edge of it was wet. My fingers were still shaking as I guided the cloth to Dylan’s face. I was trying to be as gentle as I could while I still had little feeling in my hands.

When I pressed the cloth to Dylan’s lip, he winced a bit before his shoulders relaxed, and his eyes were shut tightly. As I patted the cloth to wipe the blood away, all I could look at was Dylan’s tightened eyes.

“Thank you,” I said softly, causing Dylan’s eyes to open. Our eyes met and I looked away, back down to the lip I was cleaning. “For helping me back there. I really appreciate it.”

Dylan smiled and reached his hand up for mine, nearly causing me to jump as he pulled both my hand and the cloth away from his lips. His hand stayed wrapped around mine as he reached for the other one, and he pulled me forward a bit so my hip was touching his knee.

“That guy’s an ass, Ev, and you don’t deserve to be treated like that. No one does. You’re absolutely perfect, Everly.” Dylan paused, flashing me his brilliant smile. “It was nothing, really. I’d do it again if I had to. I’d do anything for you.”

Dylan’s lip was still covered in blood, but all I wanted to do was kiss him. I was sure his lip was sore just from the way he had flinched earlier, but all of that flew out of my mind as I placed a hand on each of his knees and lifted up to my tiptoes.

It was obvious Dylan wasn’t expecting me to kiss him, but the moment our lips met, his shoulders dropped and his hands moved to my waist. He didn’t even flinch from the touch, and instead sank into it, pulling me as close to him as he could get.

We stayed like that for several moments until I’m sure Dylan couldn’t deal with the pain anymore, and he pulled slowly away. When our eyes met, he smiled again and chuckled softly while he spoke. “What was that for?”

I chuckled back, taking a step away from him as I shrugged my shoulders. “Do I need a reason to kiss you?”

Dylan’s smile widened and he shook his head as quickly as he could. “Never.”

The two of us just looked at each other for a few moments until I spoke. It was getting late and I knew my father would already be angry enough as it was.

“If you think you’ll be alright, I really need to head home.” I paused, pressing my lips together. “I’m sure my dad’s waiting up for me, and the longer I wait the worse it will be.”

Dylan nodded his head quickly as he hopped down from the countertop. He pulled me into a hug that I didn’t expect, but quickly melted into. “Of course, yeah. I’ll try to see you tomorrow if you can, and – and good luck to you.”

I let out a pained laugh as I nodded my head, pulling away from him slowly, and we looked at each other for a moment before we walked wordlessly to Dylan’s front door. I knew it was time for me to leave, but I hesitated, looking back to Dylan with a soft smile.

“Thank you again. Seriously.”

He smiled back and nodded his head, his eyes on my hand as I turned the knob. “Anytime.”

With that, I walked out the door, though I didn’t shut it behind me as Dylan watched me hop down his steps. A cool breeze brushed over me, and I was suddenly thankful for the short walk home so I could clear my head.

I had hit the dirt road before I looked back towards Dylan’s house again, and he was still standing in the doorway looking at me. I gave him a soft smile and he waved before shutting the door behind him.

The closer I got to my house, the brighter I could see the light shining in my living room. I was certain that my dad was waiting up for me. As I approached the front door, I took a deep breath to prepare myself for the argument that was sure to happen.

When I stepped inside, my dad was sitting in his usual armchair, his feet kicked up on the rests while he leaned back. His eyes were already locked on the door and they didn’t move away from me the entire time I was walking towards him. I sat on the sofa next to him straight away as a loud huff left my father’s lips.

“Where were you?”

“At Dylan’s,” I said simply, my eyes on him for a moment before they averted to the floor. “I was helping him clean up.”

“Everly –”

“Before you say anything,” I interrupted, a look of shock on my father’s face. Austin and I had learned from a very young age to never, ever talk back to our father, but it seemed like all my infant training had gone out the window. “Dylan is a good guy, and nothing you say is going to change my opinion about him.”

My father huffed, leaning up so his footrest kicked under the chair and his feet were planted firmly on the floor. “Don’t talk like that to me, young lady. I’ve made it very clear what’s expected of you. Dylan is not like us, Everly. He’s bad news, and he’s going to take you down with him.”

“Dylan has been nothing but kind to me, to you, to everyone since he got here. He’s done nothing to make you not trust him.” I let out a long breath, shaking my head before I stood up from my seat. “For my entire life, I’ve let you decide everything for me, but not this. Dylan makes me happy, dad. Why is it that no one seems to get that?”

“You don’t know what boys like him are like. You don’t understand.”

“Stop it. Why can’t you just respect my decision for once? Just this once. What’s the worst that could happen? He leaves and that’s the end of it? Would that really be so bad? He makes me so incredibly happy, and I’m not going to give that up just because you’re afraid of what else is out there.”

My dad sighed, looking at me with his lips set in a grim line. “Go up to your room.”

“I’m not going to just –”

“Now, Everly,” he repeated. “And when I wake up, I better find you still in your bed.”

I stood up without another word, knowing it was pointless to argue with my father once he had made up his mind. There was no getting him to budge, no matter how hard I tried, and I still wasn’t sure how much trouble I’d be in when I woke up.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ugh, I now affectionately refer to Dylan as McDreamy. He is just too perfect for words.

Thank you to Mrs. McCarron, bxgurl95, vices, JustShrugAtlas and ewthatscute for commenting!
I hope everyone enjoyed reading this chapter! I'd love to know your thoughts(:

xoxo Katie