Status: can't get enough of dylan.

Classics in Summertime

"It's beautiful out here, isn't it?"

There was no doubt I was nervous to be meeting Dylan for his impromptu bonfire, but I tried to keep calm so neither my parents nor my brother would figure out something was up. With certainty, I knew they’d tell Wyatt, even if they meant no harm by it.

After slipping on a pair of jeans and a light cardigan, I snuck out of the house just as the sun was beginning to set, and kicked my boots along the dirt road as I began the short walk towards Dylan’s place.

Even from so far away, I could already see him out in the backyard, shuffling the wood around in an attempt to make something that would catch fire. He didn’t seem like he knew what he was doing, and the closer I got the more I realized that.

“Hey, Ev.” He was apparently better at deciphering people’s footsteps than I was, as he said my name before he even turned around. When he did, he looked at me with a smile on his face and a bit of dust on his cheek. “I was just finishing up.” He paused for a moment before smiling again. “I’m glad you came.”

I ignored his statement but smiled back, taking a few steps closer to the pile of wood. “How’s the fire coming?”

He took a step forward and stood side by side with me before leaning down with a lighter. “I was just about to start it.”

He gave a flick of his finger and much to my surprise, the wood quickly lit, which left a large smile on Dylan’s face. He stood back up and grabbed onto my wrist, using it to pull me away from the fire a bit before he dropped it quickly.

“I brought out some law chairs,” he said, motioning to the two green chairs that were sitting side by side next to him. “And there are marshmallows inside if you want to have a roast.”

“I’m good for now. Thanks, though.”

Dylan nodded and moved over to one of the seats, sitting down and kicking one of his legs on top of the other so his foot was practically resting on his lap. I quickly followed next to him and sat down, keeping my gaze on the fire.

“It’s beautiful out here, isn’t it?” He looked over at me with a smile, while he rested his hands on his neck and leaned back to look up at the stars. “Nothing like Cali.”

I looked up at the same sky he did, realizing that I’d never stopped to appreciate it the way he was doing. It was beautiful.

“It is,” I said softly as I gently nodded my head. “I imagine California is still beautiful, though. It always seems that way in movies.”

Dylan chuckled, nodding his head as he moved his eyes away from the sky to look at me. “Yeah, it has its own unique beauty. It grows on you, I guess.”

I nodded my head softly and looked back at him, noticing immediately the strange look in his eyes. I paused for a moment and pressed my lips together. “Why did you leave anyway?”

He shrugged his shoulders with his gaze moving back to the fire. “I needed a change of scenery… I’ve got a new movie coming out in a few months and I knew I needed to take a step back before I let the fame get to my head. Up until now, it’s just been Teen Wolf and some small roles. Nothing at all like this.”

A lump formed in my throat and I looked at him with my head cocked to one side. “I’m sorry, what?”

He looked back at me with his eyes tightened, and a small laugh left his lips. “You really don’t know, do you?” I just looked at him, clearly still confused, and he chuckled again. “I’m an actor, Ev. Nothing big, really, except a show on MTV. I know it’s not huge or anything, but you really don’t know it?” I shrugged. “Teen Wolf?”

“No, sorry,” I said, shaking my head with my eyes still wide. He’d just given me the most shocking blow and he seemed far more concerned with the fact that I didn’t know what TV show he was talking about.

“On MTV? About werewolves? I play character named Stiles.”

“That’s a name?”

Dylan laughed. “Yes, it’s a name. Really, you need to watch it. It’s a good show, even despite the fact that I’m in it.”

“So you mean you’re like famous.”

Dylan laughed again. “Yes.”

“Well, good for you.” I looked away from him and back at the fire, still trying to shake the confusion I was feeling. “I won Macoupin County Queen three years in a row.”

“Really?” Dylan said, and when I looked back at him he was smiling that genuine smile again. “I wish you would have told me I was on a date with Macoupin Country royalty. I would have dressed better.” Dylan had only just finished speaking when his eyes went wide and his cheeks flushed. “Ah, sorry – date – I didn’t mean –”

“It’s okay,” I said quickly, hoping to cut off the conversation before it could even get started. “I knew what you meant.”

“Okay, good,” Dylan said, and I could see the way his shoulders eased up. He paused for a short moment before he leaned forward, resting his knees on his elbows. “So, who’s that Wyatt guy anyway?”

“He’s my boyfriend – ex boyfriend.” I shifted in my seat uncomfortably just at the thought of Wyatt. “We’ve been on and off since we were fifteen. We’re off right now, but he still shows up at my house a lot. My dad loves him, so there’s not much I can do to get rid of him.”

“But you want to?” Dylan said softly, looking me dead in the eyes as he spoke. “Want to get rid of him, I mean.”

“Yeah, I guess so. We break up all the time and always end up back together, though nothing ever changes, really. Wyatt’s a great guy. He just has a short temper and – well, it doesn’t always go well.”

Dylan looked at me with his eyebrows furrowed, and I could see the concern in his eyes. “He never hit you, did he?”

I shook my head quickly, almost laughing at thought. “No, of course not. He just yells. A lot.”

Wyatt did a lot more than just yell, but it never did involve hitting. I wasn’t ready to confide in Dylan completely though.

“I’m sorry to hear that.” Dylan pressed his lips together and leaned back in his chair. “You deserve better.”

“He’s not all bad,” I said quickly, though I wasn’t sure exactly why I was defending him. “He has his good days.”

Dylan just nodded his head as he looked at me, almost as if he didn’t believe I what I was saying. I was glad he didn’t say anything more, though, because I was thoroughly done talking about Wyatt. With the way things had ended last time, the last thing I wanted was to talk about him.

“But, it’s getting late,” I said softly, standing up from the chair Dylan had set out for me. “I better get going.”

Dylan stood up quickly, looking at me with a confused smile on his face. “But you just got here.”

“I’m sorry.” I took a step away from the chair, still facing Dylan. “My dad will kill me if I stay out too late.”

Though he was biting his lip, he nodded softly while he pressed his lips together. I could tell he was trying his best to smile, even though it was obvious he was disappointed. “Have a good night, Ev. I’ll see you around.”

“You too, Dylan.” I nodded in his direction and gave him a faint smile before turning back towards the direction of my house and walking down the dirt road. I looked back at him once to find that he was sitting alone, still staring up at the stars.
♠ ♠ ♠
Awww, their campfire was cute while it lasted, right?
But confused Everly just had to get out of there.

What do you think of Dylan and Ev so far?
Thank you for reading(:

♥ Katie ♥