Status: Completed!

Wasted

Taken Care Of

Voight didn't offer Lauren a ride home that day, instead as she waited by her desk like she had every other day, he simply passed her by and pushed the doors open with a force she didn't see coming. As his rough hands made contact with the heavy wood a large crash sounded through the room, forcing Lauren to jump in surprise. Her went eyes wide and she couldn't do move, the only thing she managed was to stare behind him as his hulking form disappeared into his vehicle.

Her mouth was slightly unhinged and her hands gripped her purse tightly.

I guess I can kiss my room goodbye.

"Hey," Erin announced her presence with by placing a hand on Lauren's back. "You need a ride?"

Lauren shook her head, a bit disturbed by Hank's behavior. "No, that's okay. I can take a cab."

"C'mon," Erin offered again with a small grin, "It's nothing, really. I was headed that way already."

"I was actually thinking about getting a hotel room," Lauren said meekly. "I think I've upset him pretty bad."

Erin nodded and threw an offer at her. "We'll give him some time to cool off. In the meantime, me and you'll go get something to eat. That sound good?"

Lauren nodded followed the detective to her car silently, a little dazed by the way things were shaping up. She'd never really had a conversation with Erin before, only collective nods in the hall. Suddenly a case of nerves washed over her and her stomach began to curl itself in knots.

"What was Voight so mad about anyway?" Erin questioned. "He hasn't been that angry in a while."

Lauren's eyes darted around the car. "I said something I shouldn't have, I guess."

"Well what'd you say?"

Hank and Erin were very similar, Lauren noted, their voices held the same tone. Whereas Hank's was deeper and more masculine, Erin's held a higher pitch- it reminded her of someone who had indulged in smoking during their younger years. She ran her fingers over the seat belt and tugged her lip between her teeth.

"Well, Justin and I were talking last night," she began with a peek to the older girl. "He told me about his Mom, and he was still really upset about it."

Erin's lips pursed as she gave a slight nod. Lauren watched her hands tighten around the wheel as she took a deep breath in and let it out through her nose. "Go on."

"The other night Voight told me to stay away from Justin. And I tried, I really did. But something about him just pulls me toward him, I can't fight it." She glanced to Erin, who only had eyes for the road. "I burned my hand and Justin took care of me, he even wrapped it and made me sit on the couch while finished making the food I started."

Erin's lip pulled upward, "Justin did that?"

"Yeah," she nodded. "And yesterday when Hank came down to my desk-" she trailed off quietly. "Well, you seen what happened. And I just told him that Justin hadn't healed, and that I didn't think he had, either."

"Oh," Erin mumbled. "You know, I understand where you're coming from, with the whole forbidden to be with someone thing."

Lauren turned her body toward her, "You do?"

"Yeah, Voight told me I couldn't see a fellow officer," she admitted. "Well, one in our district at least."

"He's got a knack for that, it seems." Lauren joked in hopes of brightening the mood between them. "It's a great thing he did, though, taking me in. I couldn't have asked for a better person to find me that day."

Erin let a genuine smile grace her features, and for the first time Lauren saw her true beauty. "Yeah, he makes sure you're taken care of."

Image

Voight slammed through the front door, his face burning with anger. He didn't understand why women had to be so damned complicated- it seems like everything their told not to do is the very thing they want. He shrugged out of his jacket and hung it on the hook by the door, instantly heading to the fridge for a beer.

He cracked the top open, greedily drinking the pungent liquid, closing his eyes as he chugged it down. He felt Justin's presence in the kitchen with him, a small smirk on his face at his father's posture. He was hunched at the waist after he finished off the can as he tried to regain his breathing to a normal pace.

"What's so funny?"

Justin shook his head, "Nothin' Pop."

Hank watched his son patiently, waiting on whatever it was he wanted to say. He always got a certain look in his eye, a glint of something unknown, that unhinged him at the very sight of it. He put his hand on his hips and waited.

"I want to take Lauren out," Justin said calmly. "To a proper date."

Voight looked into his son's eyes and was careful to enunciate each letter, "Hell no."

"Pop, I'm a grown man, I think-"

He pointed a finger to his son, fire in his eyes. "One more word about it and she's outta here."

Image

Erin watched across the table as Lauren sipped her coffee serenely, her hands wrapped comfortably around the steaming cup of java. She actually got along better than she thought she would with the stranger. She could understand what Justin saw in her, she as a compassionate soul, and by the sound of things Voight recognized it too.

It was like having Marie here all over again, and if something happened he didn't want Justin to have the pain of losing her twice.
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N: Marie is Voight's wife's name (in my story at least) because Hank and Marie Voight? It just sounds cute to me. Justin is becoming more of a gentleman instead of the flirty teen he was so used to being. And that wraps up chapter 11! What did you think of it?!