Status: Completed!

Wasted

Christmas

One Month Later

The Voight residence held four new occupants for Christmas that year. Hank had been insistent on Lauren inviting her family into his home to celebrate the holiday. Katie and Ryder had a blast playing with Justin, and for the first time Lauren had the opportunity to see them interact. He melted her heart as he picked Ryder from the floor and tossed him into the hair, 'just like an airplane,' he had said.

"Me too, Justy," Katie squealed, her pigtails bouncing as she jumped in place, her arms extended up to him. Her large, green eyes widened when he swooped down to grab her and place her on his hip gently. Then, as if he'd practiced for the moment his entire life, he grabbed her hand and held it out before them as he began to spin them in circles, his knees bending with every step. Katie wrapped her free arm around his neck with a shrill giggle.

"How 'bout this," he offered. "Girls usually like this, don't they?"

Ella stood behind her sister and placed her arms around her waist, her chin resting on Lauren's shoulder. "They're dancing?"

"Yeah," Lauren swooned with a warm grin and placed her hands over her sisters. "This is great."

The two stood in the embrace for a moment before going to sit on beside the large Christmas tree in the corner of the room, just as they had as children.

"This is the first Christmas we've had as a family since Mimi and Poppy died," Lauren noted softly. "She'd be so happy we're together again."

Ella reach for her hand and gave it a tight squeeze. "I love you, Laurie."

"I love you too," she smiled.

She watched as Justin sat her niece down onto the floor and pulled on her hair softly. "You're gonna be a professional dancer one day, kid."

"Aunt Lauren," she ran to her aunt and plopped into her lap with an 'umph', "you come dance with me now."

Lauren snickered and hugged the child, "Aunt Lauren doesn't dance, honey."

"I couldn't either," she retaliated with a toothless smile, "Justy taught me, though. Hey, I bet he could teach you, too!"

Lauren shook her head lightly and raised to her feet slowly. She walked into the kitchen where Hank was bent at the waist, checking the ham he had in the oven- a towel thrown over his shoulder carelessly. She noticed the small smile that etched its way onto his lips when he heard Justin and Ryder erupt into laughter.

"Hey Scrooge why aren't you enjoying the festivity?" Lauren joked as she leaned onto the counter behind him. "C'mon, I'll finish up in here, go celebrate Christmas."

Hank glanced to her. "Nah, that's alright. Everything's about finished, I just need to get the bird out."

"Thanks for having us, it really means a lot that you welcomed Ella and the kids in like that." She put a hand on his back, "you're a good man, Hank Voight."

Voight clicked his tongue in response. "There's a lot of people who'd disagree with that."

Lauren rolled her eyes and laughed. "Hurry up in here, we're opening gifts soon."

Image

The household was gathered by the tree, wrapping paper littered around each person. Katie and Ryder's eyes grew five sizes when Hank entered the house with two new bikes for them, and they quickly abandoned the other presents they'd been given. Hank and Ella followed the twins outside to let them enjoy their bicycles.

"Thank you, Mr. Voight," Ella said with a watery smile. "I couldn't afford to get them expensive gifts this year after-"

Voight held his hand up to silence her. "They're good kids."

"They are," Ella agreed as she wiped her eyes with her gloved hands. "Thank you."

"Call me Hank," he responded quietly, watching her from his place on the ground. A stiff wind stirred the snow from it's mounds on the streets.

"Merry Christmas, Hank."

Image

Inside, Justin and Lauren sat in front of the fire, her head on his shoulder. His hands went to her legs and gently pulled them into his lap, then looked to her with a lidded grin.

"This is incredible," Lauren smiled to him. "I will never forget this Christmas- not for as long as I live."

She had never seen his eyes as intense as they were in that moment. For a moment she thought she had angered him- his nostrils flared with emotion before he leaned closer to her. He reach a hand forward to touch her face, and with a gentle finger tilted her head up to meet his lips in a passionate kiss.

Lauren inhaled sharply, his spicy cologne filling her mind as he moved his lips against hers with purpose. She closed her eyes and melted against him as she felt his hand on the side of her neck, his long fingers softly twining into her hair. She scooted forward on her knees, now fully resting against his broad chest.

He moved his attention elsewhere, his lips leaving smaller kisses across her mouth, then on her nose and finally her forehead. He pulled her into his arms, his grip tightening with each ragged breath.

"I love you."

Lauren's breath caught in her throat as the words slipped from her lips. She felt the tips of her ears catch fire with her admission, as did the rest of her body- the temperature quickly rose. She buried her face into his shirt in shame, unable to look into his steely eyes. His hands pressed her into him further and he exhaled a breathy chuckle.

"Lauren?"

She swallowed the lump that sat in the base of her throat and attempted to respond. "Yeah?"

Justin pulled his head back to make sure she saw his face. "I love you." He swooped in for a kiss and whispered the words once more onto her lips. "I love you."

He pulled her gently from the couch and wrapped his arms around her before he moved his feet slowly against the floor in a rhythm. Lauren's brow furrowed as she looked to him in confusion. "Justin what are you doing?"

"Dancing with you." He said simply as he stared into her eyes.

Lauren's heart felt as if it would burst as she nodded and lay her head on his chest. "Okay."

Justin whispered loving words into wind as they began to float across the Voight family room as one, no music to be found. Lauren felt her arms tighten around the man she'd come to love, who showed her what love truly was- all because she'd chosen Chicago.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh my gosh, I can't believe it! I've completed my first story (and I'm so glad it's in this fandom!). I hope you've enjoyed the ride you've taken with these characters. I'm going to do a few one-shots for this story to give you a little more insight to their lives in the future!

But that's it, guys! I'd like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for the response I've gotten from this! Keep your eyes peeled for more updates in the future!